advertisement

Your Tone Arm History @ an arm which aesthetically you would love or have

Miss Ariel

pfm Member
Mine have been

Linn LVV
Linn LVX
Linn Ittok (still think its just stunning from a visual and ease of use point of view)
Rega RB 300 ( Just brilliant VFM )
Roksan Artemiz ( Not much better than the RB300 and just a nightmare.No gauges for tracking force anti skate.A piece of cotton ! hanging off the counterweight.Pleased to get shot of it.
Technics stock SL1210 arm ( A joy after the Artemiz )
Linn Akito (very nice maybe not an Ittok but does a great job on my LP12 non the less.

Would love a black Ittok or an Ekos SE

My list is short:

Whatever arm was on the crappy Philips GA-212
JH Formula 4
AR XA
Series 20 (Pioneer) PA-1000
Rega RB300
Rega RB808

I used the same RB300 for about 33 years, and though it's not presently in use, I still have it.

I still have a not-so-secret lust for the Dynavector tonearm.

Rega RB300
Hadcock 242se
Helius Cyalene
NA Mentor Ref
Roksan Tabriz Zi
SME iv
SME M2-10
Rega RB303
Hadcock 242se Integra
Brinkmann 10.0
Currently use the last two.
Would quite like to try a tangental linear tracking tonearm, a pivoted linear tracking tonearm, a Schroeder Model 2 or Ref, a Supatrac Blackbird and a high mass tonearm, perhaps Groovemaster or Schick

Last edited:
History:

Lenco L75 (on a GL75)
Linn LVV (RD80)
Audio Technica AT1120 (RD80)
Rega RB300 (Xerxes)
Linn Ittok (LP12)
Rega RB900 (P9)
Linn Ittok (another LP12, actually one of many)
Mission 774SM (LP12)
Zeta (LP12)
Rega RB250 (Spacedeck)
NA Spacearm (Spacedeck)
Hadcock 242SE (Spacedeck)
SME M2-10 (Garrard 301)
Various SME 3009s (Thorens TD-124)

As to arms I’d love to own, there are many, but I tend to view an arm and cartridge as a single unit, so many on my list would require a radical change of cartridge, maybe even deck. I’m not actually looking for anything, but always curious as to different engineering approaches.

Contenders:

Fidelity Research FR66S or 64S. I’d also like to try one of the older less sought-after ones, e.g. the FR12, 24, 54.
Ortofon RM309 (obviously with an SPU).
That absolutely massive Gray 108 damped unipivot.
SME 3012, either a Series I or an early split-weight Series II.
Dynavector DV505.
The wood Grace unipivot.
There’s a lot of really low mass stuff I’d like to try too, e.g. Infinity Black Widow, but sadly these have lost their context as we live in a world largely devoid of really high-compliance fancy MM carts.

PS You will notice an almost total absence of fixed shell arms in my ‘would love to own’ list. It’s deliberate!

SME 3009
Rega 300(?) came with deck
Air Forcell Air Bearing
Hadcock 228 … this is going to be fitted on the same deck/at the same time as the Forcell. Just something to fiddle with as the air bearing is simple to setup and never budges so quite frustrating in a good way.

Aesthetically parallel trackers are awful. The Hadcock is rather nice in a chromey, skeletal way. I also really like the look of the alphasons however you spell it.

Origin Live Onyx with upgraded/funkier wiring.

Only tonearm I have worth mentioning.

edit
Linn LV V sold years ago
Linn Basik thing - on my B deck.

Last edited:
Linn Basik Plus, Akito
Hadcock 242
Naim Aro
Synrinx Pu3
Helius Scorpio 3, Aurius
Rega rb 250, 300 & 301
Roksan 2x Nima, 2 x Tabriz Zi, Artemiz
Sme 3009, 30012, IV
Fidelity Research fr64fx
Audiomods V
Mission 774, 2x Mechanic
Brinkmann 10.0
Jelco 750l
Audio Origami 12”Pu7

Tri planar on the list to try, but can’t get beyond the Mechanic being my favourite. Finding something better is getting expensive.
Also like to try a parallel tracker, but small room and pump enough to put me off a Terminator.
I like having pairs of arms, it’s really good at comparing turntables and cartridges.

Looking at that list I think I have a problem ;-)

Forgotten Audio Note Arm1 V2,(lasted 2 weeks) the phrase ‘zingy’ stuck.

I’ve had time with Moerch Dp6, Alphason HRS100, 12” Groovemaster and Graham Phantom while I’ve built plinths.

Last edited:
SME 3009
Transcriptors Reference Tone arm
SME 3009 improved
Syrinx PU2 with mass ring
L-07D Tone arm (current)
SME V (current)

Would have liked a Breuer 8

RB300 on my planar 3 (first turntable)
Linn basic
Ittok
Audiomods series v
Alphason Xenon
Alphason HRS100S mcs
Orgin live silver mk1
Graham B44 phantom
Favourites so far are the Graham and the Alphason HRS

would like to try
Triplanar
Bokrand AS-309
Mission Mechanic
Audiomods series 6
Dynavector Dv-507
Cartridgeman linear tracker
Terminator linear tracker

I’ve had experience of setting up and listening to a Terminator that a friend owns it is quite something when properly set up.

Also like to try a parallel tracker, but small room and pump enough to put me off a Terminator.
If it’s a low pressure system the pump can be cheap and small but yes best in another room. Mine is in the loft! A discreet hole of 6mm or thereabouts in the corner of the room feeds the arm and turns the pump off remotely.

Linn LV of some description
Naim Aro
SME IV
SME V
Funk Firm FX3

Would like to try a Dynavector DV-507 or Audiomods.

advertisement

Back