advertisement

Spotted in a Bric-à-Brac shop window ...

Somewhat off-topic, but slightly related: there's a railway memorabilia shop in Tintern, with the usual gubbins (old tinplate adverts, railway notices, a few Matchbox toys) in the window, but also two full-page posters, one of Marc Bolan, and one of The Sweet, from 1971 and 1973 respectively. It seemed rather an odd juxtaposition, and I wondered what the overlap was between trainspotters and fans of early '70s glam rock.

No Quad though.

JensenHealey, post: 4463626, member: 28595"]Leominster is stuffed with 'antique' shops. It can be a very nice day/afternoon out. Lovely town too. I doubt the shop in question is a 'charity' shop.

It is not very far from me - but unless I am passing through either on my cross country route to Swansea, or I want to go to the architectural salvage place,
I do not have sufficient interest in the kit on offer to wander over there.[/QUOTE]

It's not a charity shop, but neither is it really an antique shop to my mind. That for me implies furniture, and they don't do that.

It's hard to find real bargains these days as charity shops are increasingly trying to sell for top money rather than just sell cheaply. It can be ridiculous. A shop in Linlithgow a few weeks ago had 'Out of The Blue' in blue vinyl for £60 and 'Hounds of Love' for £40, both way over priced. A lot of shops are avoiding electricals completely theses days as they need to get them PAT tested before they can sell them.

I popped into Oxfam in Keswick a few years back. They had a copy of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat for £60. I assumed it was mint and asked to look at it, and was aghast to see it was absolutely scratched to buggery! When I mentioned this they just said 'that's what the book says it's worth'. I left chuckling to myself...

Yes I must admit the odd time I see hifi in charity shops it's eye watering! Same line that book value and it's for..........
Sad really to see them go unsold.

I popped into Oxfam in Keswick a few years back. They had a copy of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat for £60. I assumed it was mint and asked to look at it, and was aghast to see it was absolutely scratched to buggery! When I mentioned this they just said 'that's what the book says it's worth'. I left chuckling to myself...

I would urge everyone here to follow @VinylStupidity on Twitter. A daily selection of hilariously priced/graded/manufactured/damaged-on-arrival record related posts. Some absolute stinkers but very funny. I can highly recommend it!

This was one of my favourite recent pictures. Someone had received the new Billie Eilish LP looking like this.....
E8vrPfCWYAQDDE9.jpg:large

Leominster in Herefordshire is not renowned as a good source of HiFi, but look what I spotted today in a local "vintage" shop ...

IMG-20210903-122146.jpg

IMG-20210903-122158.jpg

IMG-20210903-122203.jpg

IMG-20210903-122152.jpg

I'm not sure if the prices are in order, but I was surprised to see such attractive stuff in Leominster. The Revox is tempting, although I'd rarely use it.

If anyone wants me to buy for them, send me a message !

Can't see any pics - just crosses

I remember visiting Leominster or 'Lemster' when I relocated to Herefordshire in 1990. People would stop their cars in the street for a chat. Patience was required. I think it's probably the same now.

Funnily enough, I spotted that too. Knowing that shop well, having bought LPs from there in the past, all of which were scratched and overpriced, I didn't even bother looking at it.

I would urge everyone here to follow @VinylStupidity on Twitter. A daily selection of hilariously priced/graded/manufactured/damaged-on-arrival record related posts. Some absolute stinkers but very funny. I can highly recommend it!

This was one of my favourite recent pictures. Someone had received the new Billie Eilish LP looking like this.....
E8vrPfCWYAQDDE9.jpg:large
Is that made of chocolate?

I remember visiting Leominster or 'Lemster' when I relocated to Herefordshire in 1990. People would stop their cars in the street for a chat. Patience was required. I think it's probably the same now.

Leominster is a bit busier than that these days. If you want quieter....Bishops Castle is a traffic jam when two tractors meet in the street for a chat...
Nice pub/brewery there too. A few rather 'alternative' shops have appeared now - exiles from Glastonbury or Hay-on-Wye?

Leominster is a bit busier than that these days. If you want quieter....Bishops Castle is a traffic jam when two tractors meet in the street for a chat...
Nice pub/brewery there too. A few rather 'alternative' shops have appeared now - exiles from Glastonbury or Hay-on-Wye?
Good secondhand book and record shop with a coffee shop in Bishops Castle as well - Yarborough House. Classical records and CD's. I have bought quite a few Lyria LP's there at a good price in the past.
R-3075484-1354303997-1269.jpeg.jpg

Good secondhand book and record shop with a coffee shop in Bishops Castle as well - Yarborough House. Classical records and CD's. I have bought quite a few Lyria LP's there at a good price in the past.
R-3075484-1354303997-1269.jpeg.jpg

We spend every Christmas near there and I always visit Yarborough House. The largest second hand classical music shop I've ever been in. I wouldn't go expecting a bargain as they clearly know every record/CD's true value, but the selection is stunning for old 50s to 80s classical records. I often wonder if it was once the collection of a local obsessive who donated it when they passed away. It is truly representative of every composer and era. No-one is missing and no composer is over represented. Very few if any duplicates. That just isn't normal for a second hand record shop. Either that or it's exceedingly well curated. The condition of everything is also VG+/NM throughout.

advertisement

Back