advertisement

Buying a first generation Toyota Aygo.

Anyway, I have enquired about insurance and fully comprehensive with commuting is less than three hundred pounds.

That seems very, very expensive for insurance. We're only just over £200 for my wife's Mercedes SLK, and that's with our daughter on the insurance (and with business use for all drivers).

Definitely worth shopping around for alternative quotes I'd have thought.

I was thinking how cheap and reasonable it sounds!! Where we are my old S60 was about £800 a year, and my wife’s old Yaris is about £550. Neither of us have any claims or convictions, she goes down as a school teacher, I’m the fly in the ointment as a musician…
Insurance is hellishly expensive in some parts because of the car crime. We’re near the North Manchester areas that used to feature on Traffic Cops…

I am shocked, my 20 year old son pays £600 in only his second year of insurance. Musician is a tough profession for insurance, my brother is a musician as well and gets hit pretty hard.

You should shop around, that is a lot for insurance IMO. We pay less than £300 for an M235i BMW in London aged 55 fully comp with business use as well.
Agreed - that does sound pricey. I'm paying £175 for a 1.4L Honda Jazz with Hastings Direct.

Agreed - that does sound pricey. I'm paying £175 for a 1.4L Honda Jazz with Hastings Direct.

Agreed here too, my 18yo daughter, student with a part time job in hospitality (another job that gets battered by the insurance industry) is paying about £550 on her 57 Aygo, this in her first year post test.

I'm 52 and pay about £240 for a BMW 330 convertible, we live in in a bit of Greater Manchester that doesn't have a stellar reputation.

That seems very, very expensive for insurance. We're only just over £200 for my wife's Mercedes SLK, and that's with our daughter on the insurance (and with business use for all drivers).

Definitely worth shopping around for alternative quotes I'd have thought.

I insured the Aygo [though I actually have only done the deal, rather than paid for it] half an hour ago.

I have a small issue of course with getting cheap insurance. The best car I ever had was a 1989 Volvo 240 GL [2.3 litre, 116 hp Regina Bendix fuel injection and engine management], which I bought as a ten year old and sold as a twenty-one year old. It was still close to mint. I should have mothballed it. It would be worth between £10K and £20K, as the inside was literally mint and the body almost so. No rust of any sort anywhere. Beautiful car. I then went a whole seven years without a car as I did not need one and got great pleasure and utility out of my Carlton Kermesse road bike.

So when I was given a Nissan Micra 998 cc [no power steering] in 2017, I paid insurance as a novice! So I have retained my insurance company which covered the Skoda Fabia when I sold it, to keep what little no-claims record I have. I am hoping that I shall add significantly to my no claims record.

Back in the glory days of the Volvo I insured it for about £80 PA with full no claims [over a thirty year period] with the NFU ... Getting back in with the NFU would be rather expensive these days ... comparatively.

I have a completely clean driving licence, so it is what it is.

I should be mobile in the Aygo on Saturday.

First thing is to do a round the graves of my family to make sure the bastewards have not risen from the grave!

Best wishes from George

PS: Should I treat the car to Shell to avoid the E5 or E10 petrol? The car is from 2008. It is not as if it will burn very much of it, so the extra cost might well be worth it if the ethanol part does damage to seal and components of an older sort - it might be a sensible precaution.

PS: Should I treat the car to Shell to avoid the E5 or E10 petrol? The car is from 2008. It is not as if it will burn very much of it, so the extra cost might well be worth it if the ethanol part does damage to seal and components of an older sort - it might be a sensible precaution.

You can't avoid E5 as all UK petrol has 5% Ethanol AFAIK. E10 is easy - use super unleaded at Shell and few others but expensive.

From the gov website https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Toyota

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
  • Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.
These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

I insured the Aygo [though I actually have only done the deal, rather than paid for it] half an hour ago.

I have a small issue of course with getting cheap insurance. The best car I ever had was a 1989 Volvo 240 GL [2.3 litre, 116 hp Regina Bendix fuel injection and engine management], which I bought as a ten year old and sold as a twenty-one year old. It was still close to mint. I should have mothballed it. It would be worth between £10K and £20K, as the inside was literally mint and the body almost so. No rust of any sort anywhere. Beautiful car. I then went a whole seven years without a car as I did not need one and got great pleasure and utility out of my Carlton Kermesse road bike.

So when I was given a Nissan Micra 998 cc [no power steering] in 2017, I paid insurance as a novice! So I have retained my insurance company which covered the Skoda Fabia when I sold it, to keep what little no-claims record I have. I am hoping that I shall add significantly to my no claims record.

That explains the cost, hopefully as a cautious and observant driver you will improve your NCB discount in time.

Dear cutting,

I saw the news story on the BBC website ...

You have clarified what the BBC seemed not to.

Thank you for your totally on-point reply.

Best wishes from George

EDIT in response to your second reply. The reason I am not a terrible driver is that I have very clear assessment of my limitations. When driving I concentrate as hard as when I used to play live concerts in the orchestra. Never a moment's inattention, and to drive properly is actually tiring, of course. Hence not one prosecution or accident caused by me since 12.12.1977. I have been tail-ended three times; once in the Volvo, and twice with agricultural tractors, the fault of third parties.

So I have retained my insurance company which covered the Skoda Fabia when I sold it, to keep what little no-claims record I have

NCB is transferable between insurance companies- you don't need to stay with a company to retain accrued NCB

Just to say thanks for all the replies.

I bought the car at lunchtime. It is VED taxed, MOT'd and Insured. It goes nicely, and is all the car I could wish for. I was going to post pictures, but these days I am not sure that makes sense given that I do not know how to hide the number plate ...

Needless to say it is rust-free, and not been in a wreck, so set for a few more years happy motoring yet. Only 101,000 miles in thirteen years, so not worn out ...

Best wishes from George

EDIT: PS. VED is only £20 PA. I was not going to do that on a split Direct Debit!

Today I put the Aygo on the ramp at the garage that has done almost all my motor work since 1979. Three generations of the same family, so you might say that there is a full trust on both sides.

The Aygo would require a lot of work to pass another MOT. Basically it getting close to being beyond welding. The windscreen has a wiper wear mark that would require a new windscreen to pass, and I am not going to insure the screen and "accidentally" crack it for a free[ish] replacement. The car will live till next April. Sounds bad except I did not pay much. I have asked the garage to look out for another, better example of the type ... or indeed another car of the class.

It gets me mobile, and is cheap to run for the short term. I went to Hereford this afternoon to see how it went on a thirty miles round trip. Blamelessly of course.

Best wishes from George

Today I put the Aygo on the ramp at the garage that has done almost all my motor work since 1979. Three generations of the same family, so you might say that there is a full trust on both sides.

The Aygo would require a lot of work to pass another MOT. Basically it getting close to being beyond welding. The windscreen has a wiper wear mark that would require a new windscreen to pass, and I am not going to insure the screen and "accidentally" crack it for a free[ish] replacement. The car will live till next April. Sounds bad except I did not pay much. I have asked the garage to look out for another, better example of the type ... or indeed another car of the class.

It gets me mobile, and is cheap to run for the short term. I went to Hereford this afternoon to see how it went on a thirty miles round trip. Blamelessly of course.

Best wishes from George
You can get glass cover on your insurance and if it fails the MoT for glass damage of any kind you just pay your £80. No need to "damage" it.

It hasn't gone rotten between April and September. No MoT advisory this year? If it does fail the test and welding isn't an option, use the rotten points as check points for the next one. Oh, and consider WBAC as a disposal route while it still has a test. It's their problem then, they do after all but cars for a living, and they'll buy yours.

Dear Steve,

I have a very fine scrap metal yard that pays 10 pence per kilogram for defunct cars and they handle the DVLA paperwork as well.

That way I have got money for a Nissan Micra and Citroen Saxo shortly before MOT expiry.

There are quite a few of these Aygo derivatives about. A neighbour has much newer Peugeot 108[?] that is essential an updated version of the same car, which he plans to sell next year. I know the provenance, and it might make a neat replacement when the time comes.

And I could take some of the common parts off as a spares back-up. Same battery, alternator, starter, windscreen wipers .... etc.

I rather like the model, but not fussed if it is a Toyota, Citroen, or Peugeot.

Best wishes from George

Dear Steve,

I have a very fine scrap metal yard that pays 10 pence per kilogram for defunct cars and they handle the DVLA paperwork as well.

That way I have got money for a Nissan Micra and Citroen Saxo shortly before MOT expiry.

There are quite a few of these Aygo derivatives about. A neighbour has much newer Peugeot 108[?] that is essential an updated version of the same car, which he plans to sell next year. I know the provenance, and it might make a neat replacement when the time comes.

And I could take some of the common parts off as a spares back-up. Same battery, alternator, starter, windscreen wipers .... etc.

I rather like the model, but not fussed if it is a Toyota, Citroen, or Peugeot.

Best wishes from George
I wouldn’t take the windscreen wipers…

advertisement

Back