advertisement

ABBA - Voyage

tiggers

pfm Member
So what do we think? I know Abba are unlikely to be taken that seriously by most of the PFM readership, but as pop song creators they are unrivalled outside of The Beatles. Is this virtual tour a mistake or is it going to be something genuinely groundbreaking? New material too.... what do we think? I have a soft spot for them, but do wonder if they would have been better leaving well alone.... do they have any relevance at all in today's pop music scene? Does that even matter?

As ever it will hinge on the quality of material. Kraftwerk are pretty much a franchise these days, Tangerine Dream have no original members but are producing new original music. Given the market for covers band it makes a lot of sense for bands to think of new ways to keep money coming in. Abba are one of those bands who I respect as I can really see the skill in what they did, but do nothing for me (Queen are another). It will be interesting to see what they do/where they pitch it. Bjorn & Benny have obviously made serious money from musical theatre etc in the decades since so they know how to sell tickets and they’ll still have a customer base.

PS The Japanese have virtual pop stars, projected anime characters doing gigs etc, as they would, so really it is nothing new.

So what do we think? I know Abba are unlikely to be taken that seriously by most of the PFM readership, but as pop song creators they are unrivalled outside of The Beatles. Is this virtual tour a mistake or is it going to be something genuinely groundbreaking? New material too.... what do we think? I have a soft spot for them, but do wonder if they would have been better leaving well alone.... do they have any relevance at all in today's pop music scene? Does that even matter?
New album pre-ordered for me......I love Abba, as you've already mentioned pretty much up there as far as finely crafted pop songs go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DYX3WQJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As ever it will hinge on the quality of material. Kraftwerk are pretty much a franchise these days, Tangerine Dream have no original members but are producing new original music. Given the market for covers band it makes a lot of sense for bands to think of new ways to keep money coming in. Abba are one of those bands who I respect as I can really see the skill in what they did, but do nothing for me (Queen are another). It will be interesting to see what they do/where they pitch it. Bjorn & Benny have obviously made serious money from musical theatre etc in the decades since so they know how to sell tickets and they’ll still have a customer base.

PS The Japanese have virtual pop stars, projected anime characters doing gigs etc, as they would, so really it is nothing new.

From what I read they have had practically the entire team at ILM working on the holographic concert and have used 600 plus cameras to capture the movement and mannerisms of the band so I am expecting soemthing special. I'm not sure I'm of a mind to buy a ticket though. I like them as pop music goes, but it's not my favourite genre. I genuinely wish them all the best though.

The Japanese have virtual pop stars, projected anime characters doing gigs etc, as they would, so really it is nothing new.

As William Gibson anticipated in Mona Lisa Overdrive in 1988.

Big ABBA fan here. From the days when back at school I got bullied for liking them:rolleyes:, all the way to now, I find their songs and music are really clever (IMHO). Sure there will be detractors, but ABBA won't worry about that too much. Their legacy and huge fan base will take care of that.

Will the new songs get to the levels of Day Before You Came, or Winner Takes It All? Well time and opinion will decide. One thing you can't dely is the media have jumped on this in a very positive, almost frenzied fashion. ABBA's bank balance won't be harmed by that at all. I'll go see the show, if only for a night out and a sing-along!

Orange LP ordered.

Interesting RE: your thoughts on both Abba and Queen, that is precisely my take on them both. I can see the skill in what they do and see why a lot of people like it, but I'd rather stick my head in a blender than listen to either.

I've read more about the holographic concert and you know what... I'm in. Ordered the CD too. There's a very old Pet Shop Boys interview somewhere where they are asking Chris Lowe what makes a good pop song and he said you can read all the books and talk to all the musicians in the world, but you'd be far better off just listening to Abba and the melodies, harmonies and layering of the sound... that is all you need and their music will prove timeless. He wasn't wrong!

I listened to Abba's two new songs from Voyager, have they retained the old magic - not really, maybe half way there, not bad but certainly not on the same level as 'The Winner takes it all'. So I think like other old stars they needed the money which helped them to crush through long held reservations of reuniting as a band..?

Oh come on - we used to sing 'there was somthing in the air that night', while hoding our noses when somebody farted. I guess that was 76 or so. They were never a serious band. Euro pap but very well constructed musically. I thought that's why we invented punk ;)

Oh come on - we used to sing 'there was somthing in the air that night', while hoding our noses when somebody farted. I guess that was 76 or so. They were never a serious band. Euro pap but very well constructed musically. I thought that's why we invented punk ;)
My Abba singles used to sit next door to my Damned in my record box.
Punk was invented to get rid of ELP and the like.
Even Sensible loved Abba.

I watched the whole live stream on YouTube, and pre-ordered the (basic) cd to get "priority" for tickets.
Will it be as good as 'old Abba'? Probably not (getting close to 'The day before you came' and 'winner takes it all' would be impossible), but I think it will be worth a punt. I am guessing demand for the show's will be phenomenal, and as @Andrew C! says, it's going to be worth a night out and sing along (as anyone who has seen Mamma Mia will know).
I would not like to risk missing out. Hopefully get tickets for all of us (wife and 13 year old son).

Great singles band back in the day and I listen to Abba Gold a few times a year.

Was disappointed by the two new tracks they have made available.

I like Abba.

I am not interested in any more Abba. What they did was plenty.

Abba always sells in the charity shop I stock.

So I think like other old stars they needed the money which helped them to crush through long held reservations of reuniting as a band..?

Given that Bjorn has a net worth of about £300,000,000 and Benny about £179,000,000, I think you might be just a little wide of the mark there. :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back