advertisement

Size does matter!

cctaylor

pfm Member
Our 55 inch OLED TV has developed a fault. The dealer has kindly lent us a 42inch telly while ours is away for repair. Bit of a shock to the system but if we had to use the TV from the dining room we would have only had a 32 inch screen.

It just shows how you get used to size of your TV screen. We had a 32inch CRT screen for many years in a similar sized room and thought it was fine. Mind you I don't think anything bigger than the 55 would be suitable in our room.

I bought an early Sony LCD telly years ago. I think it is 15” and was fine in my little flat at the time. I have it in one of the guest rooms now, and you need binoculars to watch it!

The older you get the bigger the telly you need I reckon. Monitor even. For computer stuff a 32" 4k monitor is the minimum for photo editing and internet monging duties these days and a 55 inch OLED for gaming from 6 feet away with an Xbox Series X is the new defacto standard.

65" for the living room TV and movie watching is now not big enough. 8k 85 inch. Yes.

You only live once. Make the most of it.

Many years ago, my dear departed father wondered why we needed a massive 28 in TV in our lounge. I wonder what he would have thought, 20 years later, about the 120 in screen in the cinema room!

As my TV gets bigger, I watch it less. I’m now up to (hang on, I’ll measure it, because I haven’t got a clue) - ah, 42” - and I think I’ve switched it on twice in two months. It’s currently sitting there like a huge rectangular black hole while the Tannoys either side of it play me internet radio jazz.

I’m
The older you get the bigger the telly you need I reckon. Monitor even. For computer stuff a 32" 4k monitor is the minimum for photo editing and internet monging duties these days and a 55 inch OLED for gaming from 6 feet away with an Xbox Series X is the new defacto standard.

65" for the living room TV and movie watching is now not big enough. 8k 85 inch. Yes.

You only live once. Make the most of it.
You also need a much louder one as you age, plus subtitles and headphones on occasion.

42” here. Inbuilt sound of flatscreens is shite. I keep it for when we take our first steps on Mars….

What is a 'TV' - and why might I want such a thing ?
With a good internet connection you can watch on youtube amazingly varied music videos of nearly all the musicians you wanted to see live, but never manged to go and see.
( using a TV as a TV is barely worth it)

They are so ugly when off. And the bigger the uglier. I'm surprised there are no roll-down, or pull-up, fabric coverings to conceal them. Remember the TVs built into a sideboard with doors? If you have a nice living room, nice carpets, furniture, paintings, it seems like a crime to put one of these things in it.

I bought a 24" thing last year, so that our daughter could watch films on a big screen (before that we just used an 18" computer monitor). It's in a large room, about 10 metres x 8 metres, and it still seems far too big to me. If your TV is bigger than your speakers you have a problem (luckily I have Tannoy Mansfields, so there's no danger of that).

Good Morning All,

In the bad(?) old days wasn't the 'standard' formula something along the lines you needed to sit three times the diagonal dimension of the TV screen away from it. I don't know if with higher definition LCD type technology this factor varies?

A quick bit of maths gives 3 x 42" = 126" or 3.2mtrs away which would be OK in our living room. A 65" screen would give a figure of 4.95mtrs which is longer than our living room...................

Regards

Richard

They are so ugly when off. And the bigger the uglier. I'm surprised there are no roll-down, or pull-up, fabric coverings to conceal them. Remember the TVs built into a sideboard with doors? If you have a nice living room, nice carpets, furniture, paintings, it seems like a crime to put one of these things in it.

The rollable TV is coming.

And you won't confuse it for the drinks cabinet when it's closed. :)

Good Morning All,

In the bad(?) old days wasn't the 'standard' formula something along the lines you needed to sit three times the diagonal dimension of the TV screen away from it. I don't know if with higher definition LCD type technology this factor varies?

A quick bit of maths gives 3 x 42" = 126" or 3.2mtrs away which would be OK in our living room. A 65" screen would give a figure of 4.95mtrs which is longer than our living room...................

Regards

Richard

We sit about 2.5m from our ancient 1080p 55" Sony Bravia, which seems optimal according to this chart.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

4.95m is way too far to appreciate a 65" set with resolution higher than 720p.

Reminds me of the old joke about all the Irish girls who came over to England looking for the 19 inch Murphy.

We sit about 2.5m from our ancient 1080p 55" Sony Bravia, which seems optimal according to this chart.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

4.95m is way too far to appreciate a 65" set with resolution higher than 720p.

I can easily tell the difference between UHD, HD and 720p at 20 feet away. But then I still easily read two lines past 20:20 vision at my regular eye tests.

I think the THX recommendations make that chart look silly.

Reactions: mjw

advertisement

Back