advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

raccoon-weird.gif

BREAKING: My sources in Washington tell me Donald Trump has not been re-instated and Biden remains President.

BREAKING: My sources in Washington tell me Donald Trump has not been re-instated and Biden remains President.

I think I know why. The reinstatement date was supposed to be August 13, or 8/13/2021 in US format. But what if Q really meant us to use the UK/EU format? In that case, we should feel reassured that T***p will be finally be reinstated on the 8th day of the 13th month. Huzzah!

Matthew,

Are people writing speeches on their phones now? Sorry, I know that was the least remarkable thing to take away from that, but it seems a trend among teh crazies ... a bit like the ugly, clashing colours and bad typography on conspiracy sites.

Joe

The fact that she needed to refer to her notes was the best bit! She actually thought about it, wrote it down and made sure she was definitely going to say this in public.

“Tucker Carlson is not much to look at. A little man with a face screwed into the scowl of a junior manager passed over for promotion,”

Since I first became aware of Carlson I've been trying to find a ? P.G. Wodehouse quote along the lines of "His face resembled that of a spoiled Pekingese refused a biscuit."

The fact that she needed to refer to her notes was the best bit! She actually thought about it, wrote it down and made sure she was definitely going to say this in public.

But we must not mock stupid people. That is what got us Boris Johnson as PM. We must instead pretend to take their stupid ideas seriously, nodding sagely and stroking our chins thoughtfully, even if we are actually thinking 'WTAF?!!'.

Asimov might have the appropriate response.
When I went to school if an opinion was given that was "misguided," the ridicule and shame was almost unbearable, we need to bring some of that back, at least for those who should know better or purport to run the country.

But it's coming:
These came up on YouTube for some reason - the comments have to be read to be believed.

P.S. Worryingly, this appears to have become the sort of thinking of a large slice of Trumpism, so much so that Trump himself is becoming almost "establishment", according to Peter Wehner, notable Republican anti-Trumpist:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/radicalism-post-trump-gop/619891/

Last edited:
But it's coming

I can’t read the Atlantic. But I think it all comes from the same source Trumpism, willingness to accept authoritarianism, the increasingly radical GOP, even the anti vaccine thing, etc. All basically fueled by white resentment and fragility because of a perceived loss of power and privilege.

a scary time for America and American democracy.

I can’t read the Atlantic. But I think it all comes from the same source Trumpism, willingness to accept authoritarianism, the increasingly radical GOP, even the anti vaccine thing, etc. All basically fueled by white resentment and fragility because of a perceived loss of power and privilege.

a scary time for America and American democracy.

An excerpt:

Something happened last Saturday that was significant because it was unprecedented: Donald Trump spoke at a rally in the heart of Trump country—Cullman, Alabama, which gave the incumbent president more than 88 percent of the vote in 2020—and he was booed. The jeers were scattered but noticeable, enough so that Trump responded to them.

Trump had encouraged those in the audience to get vaccinated. “I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You’ve got to do what you have to do,” Trump said, “but I recommend: Take the vaccines. I did it—it’s good.” Yet for a large number of Trump supporters in the audience, even though the former president hadn’t embraced government or private-sector mandates, he had crossed a redline.

Two days later Alex Jones, the far-right radio host and conspiracy theorist Trump courted in 2016, rebuked Trump. After playing a clip of Trump declaring that the vaccines are working, Jones responded, “BS. Trump, that’s a lie. You’re not stupid.” Jones added, “Shame on you, Trump. Seriously. Hey, if you don’t have the good sense to save yourself and your political career, that’s okay. At least you’re gonna get some good Republicans elected, and you know, we like ya. But my God. Maybe you’re not that bright. Maybe Trump’s actually a dumbass.”

These incidents are just a few of the straws in the turbulent wind, signs that something ominous is happening to the Republican Party. The GOP base may be identifying less and less with Trump personally—that was inevitable after he left the presidency—but it is not identifying any less with the conspiracist and antidemocratic impulses that defined him over the past five years.

In fact, the opposite is happening.

Not long ago, Trump was viewed as avant-garde, outrageous, and scandalous, America’s enfant terrible. His actions were viewed as so shocking and norm-shattering that he couldn’t be ignored. In today’s Republican Party, however, Trump is becoming what was once unthinkable—conventional, unexceptional, even something of an establishment figure.

In a right-wing movement that is home to a growing assortment of cranks and kooks—Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz, Paul Gosar and Lauren Boebert, Mo Brooks and Madison Cawthorn, Ron Johnson and Marsha Blackburn, Mike Lindell and Michael Flynn, Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, Cyber Ninjas and QAnon, anti-vaxxers and insurrectionists—Trump looks rather ordinary. He wants credit for the vaccines that were developed during his administration, which mark a genuine medical milestone, but in some quarters of today’s Republican Party, that makes Trump suspect, too closely aligned with the hated Anthony Fauci, a dumbass.

An excerpt:

Something happened last Saturday that was significant because it was unprecedented: Donald Trump spoke at a rally in the heart of Trump country—Cullman, Alabama, which gave the incumbent president more than 88 percent of the vote in 2020—and he was booed. The jeers were scattered but noticeable, enough so that Trump responded to them.

Trump had encouraged those in the audience to get vaccinated. “I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You’ve got to do what you have to do,” Trump said, “but I recommend: Take the vaccines. I did it—it’s good.” Yet for a large number of Trump supporters in the audience, even though the former president hadn’t embraced government or private-sector mandates, he had crossed a redline.

Two days later Alex Jones, the far-right radio host and conspiracy theorist Trump courted in 2016, rebuked Trump. After playing a clip of Trump declaring that the vaccines are working, Jones responded, “BS. Trump, that’s a lie. You’re not stupid.” Jones added, “Shame on you, Trump. Seriously. Hey, if you don’t have the good sense to save yourself and your political career, that’s okay. At least you’re gonna get some good Republicans elected, and you know, we like ya. But my God. Maybe you’re not that bright. Maybe Trump’s actually a dumbass.”

These incidents are just a few of the straws in the turbulent wind, signs that something ominous is happening to the Republican Party. The GOP base may be identifying less and less with Trump personally—that was inevitable after he left the presidency—but it is not identifying any less with the conspiracist and antidemocratic impulses that defined him over the past five years.

In fact, the opposite is happening.

Not long ago, Trump was viewed as avant-garde, outrageous, and scandalous, America’s enfant terrible. His actions were viewed as so shocking and norm-shattering that he couldn’t be ignored. In today’s Republican Party, however, Trump is becoming what was once unthinkable—conventional, unexceptional, even something of an establishment figure.

In a right-wing movement that is home to a growing assortment of cranks and kooks—Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz, Paul Gosar and Lauren Boebert, Mo Brooks and Madison Cawthorn, Ron Johnson and Marsha Blackburn, Mike Lindell and Michael Flynn, Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, Cyber Ninjas and QAnon, anti-vaxxers and insurrectionists—Trump looks rather ordinary. He wants credit for the vaccines that were developed during his administration, which mark a genuine medical milestone, but in some quarters of today’s Republican Party, that makes Trump suspect, too closely aligned with the hated Anthony Fauci, a dumbass.

That this is allowed to continue (the continued march toward anti-intellectual authoritarianism) tells us that the very wealthy Americans. who bankroll the GOP and who profit from the GOP's aiding and abetting of the looting of the country, are OK with the destruction of the system of government that has allowed America to produce so much wealth. Or do they think they can control the monster that they've unleashed and walk it back before it goes too far ?

advertisement

Back