advertisement

NAC 82?

Reading this thread, I’m wondering if I should get my arse into gear and have my 22 year old NAC102 serviced. I’ve read conflicting views on this over the years, but it’s getting on a bit now.

Hi Sean,

This may have already been suggested, worth considering an Icon 4 passive pre. I use one to great effect with my 300DR. Enable you to sell the pre & PSU.

This is a superb pre AND has a remote control. In the same bracket is the Townshend Allegri+, but no remote.

M

I just Googled the The Icon 4 and was intrigued but it's way out of my budget.

I'm tempted with the 82/DTP that is for sale here in Germany. I think the price is reasonable, the 82 has been checked out by a Naim dealer and given the all clear (though it's not POTS8), the DTP would save me from having to invest in another HiCap (and probably another TPR4), so all in all, this might be a good option.

I've used a NAC 82 with dual T Cap for several years and like the DTC (better bass than equivalent Hi Caps - less flabby/boomy, just seems more "mucular"*) and much neater than 2x Hi Cap + NAPSC.

The 82 is a great pre amp. I auditioned an 82 against a 72 when the 82 first came out and it really was a "chalk & cheese" moment!

* I say "more muscular" thinking in terms of me waving a dumbell around in one hand - if a body builder did the same thing he'd be able to make the dumbell stop/start/change direction much more rapidly than my puny efforts! Hope that convets what I mean:D.

I dont post many comments nowadays but i have a wee bit of experience of Naim gear up to 102/82/old 52.Ive never invested beyond that to 282 or better as just too much investment for me. I have a few bits to rotate round for pleasure, late 82, late 32.5, Avi lab series pre.
I ve had early 82 non pots 8 and (current) late 82 pots 8. I did find the later 82 far superior to the first edition. Some say the pots make no difference, and even some service agents say not worth it. But there is a real difference over production run. Same with 52 early 52 no where as good as final production.
Re powersupply, i found one hicap waste of time. 2hicaps if not matched worse than 1.
2matched hicaps BETTER than supercap in respect of gravitas and drive of music, Supercap better only in detail. And finally a better napsc does improve the sound. (i dont use a naim napsc)
All in all depending on what bits you put together you may be delighted or not.

I suppose you'd also want to ensure they had PSUs from the same manufacturer since Naim changed a couple of time AFAIK

Two HiCaps plus fresh servicing would cost quite a bit more than the 82 itself, at which point it might make more sense to look at something else if value/quality is a concern. It's why I've never really been into adding extra boxes, it just doesn't make sense to me to spend more on accessories than on primary kit.

I suppose you'd also want to ensure they had PSUs from the same manufacturer since Naim changed a couple of time AFAIK
Serial numbers that are very close should reduce the odds of a mismatch. When I bought my second-hand 82, it was bundled with one Hicap. Its serial number indicated it was manufactured within 12 months of my first Hicap used to power a 102. They had the exact hue of olive too.

Serial numbers that are very close should reduce the odds of a mismatch..

That is a totally wrong comment and could cost someone much unexpected cost to rectify.
Olive equipment is OLD, and will have different usage servicing and history, you cannot pluck two hi caps from serial 50k to whatever and exoect them to be matched because the serials are close.... PLEASE...

It's the architecture and servicing that need to be matched. Nuvotem replaced H+F part way through the Olive range.

Serial numbers that are very close should reduce the odds of a mismatch..

That is a totally wrong comment and could cost someone much unexpected cost to rectify.
Olive equipment is OLD, and will have different usage servicing and history, you cannot pluck two hi caps from serial 50k to whatever and exoect them to be matched because the serials are close.... PLEASE...
Fair comment, I guess I lost track of time. In my context 20 years ago, they were barely three years old and not in need of servicing. I accept it would be a different situation now if they have had varied usage.

In that case, the bottom line is unless you can source two near identical Hicaps with the same history, getting them matched would require both units to be serviced. That does not sound like a cheap proposition.

When I had my 82 I had two chrome bumper hicaps. I bought two TPR4 regs from Les at Avondale. And 4 new smoothing caps from eBay. Banged them in - perfect matching pair. Sounded great at the time.

When you have two hicaps one powers the left channel of the 82 and the other the right. If you have a unmatched pair you can alter the wiring inside the 82 so this is no longer the case. You can make it so one hicap does left and right gain stage and the other the rest. I did this for a while before I got my second TPR4. Not sure that it made that much difference though. I just thought it was a sensible thing to do. It's really easy too, just move the wires around that connect to the back of hicap sockets.

Update: I bit the bullet and now have an 82 and Dual Teddy Cap on it's way to me.

I could have bought just the 82, but the cost of a second HC would have been more than what I paid for the DTC.

As the delivery is all within Germany, it should only take a few days to get here. Very much looking forward to receiving them.

which makes the Dual Teddy Cap a sensible option for an NAC 82 or 282, as noted above.

Exactly, that's what I did. Much less faffing about when you have a one-box solution from Teddy. My 82 sounds great with a DTC; does the NASPC bits also.

Whilst I only ever ran with one HiCap and the NAPSC, the DTC sounded better and the acronym's shorter which is also a good thing.

CHE

The 82 and DTC arrived today today and needless to say, I got it hooked up straight away. All I can say is WOW. This totally thrashes the 102, and I was so happy with that before! Not so much a veil being lifted, more a door being opened. Very happy :)

advertisement

Back