advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shackles of the EU was one of the main moans of the Brexiteers but it now turns out they had control of low wage policies within the EU.
Why leave then? Was it to pursue higher wage policies for workers or even lower than what they got away with whilst in the EU.

Weak argument from you EV surprisingly. The Guardian article today I thought was very accurate in describing where the UK is now at. Still divided and Brexit hasn't hurt enough yet to sway leavers. The bit about the Labour party was also very true imho. They are caught between a rock and hard place unable to make much mileage out of the failings of Brexit because the electorate are still split 50/50 or thereabouts. Time will tell but I think it is only a matter of time. Will be interesting to see what course comes from it.

It hasn't 'turned out' that the UK had control over its own minimum wage policy at all when an EU member. It is true of all EU member states, and I think you'll find has always been common knowledge.

The minimum wage was never given as a reason the leave the EU.

The shackles of the EU was one of the main moans of the Brexiteers but it now turns out they had control of low wage policies within the EU.
Why leave then? Was it to pursue higher wage policies for workers or even lower than what they got away with whilst in the EU.

Weak argument from you EV surprisingly. The Guardian article today I thought was very accurate in describing where the UK is now at. Still divided and Brexit hasn't hurt enough yet to sway leavers. The bit about the Labour party was also very true imho. They are caught between a rock and hard place unable to make much mileage out of the failings of Brexit because the electorate are still split 50/50 or thereabouts. Time will tell but I think it is only a matter of time. Will be interesting to see what course comes from it.

I have posted about this before. Wages for lots of work types in the UK are often much lower than Ireland. I was shocked at some of the stuff I came across. The city banking jobs would be an exception. I always thought the salary levels in that sector are obscene.

Brexit was all about preventing further integration and central control which might have squeezed that excess and tackled the massive tax avoidance.
As has been stated many times the working class Tories in England voted to save the bankers and traders. Well done them not.

Enfield Boy linked to a UK Gov Web page which shows that HMRC has investigated, named, prosecuted and fined 191 companies which contravened UK minimum wage laws.

The enforcement of these rules is surely a good thing, and whilst I can't see it as having anything to do with the EU, it does at the very least illustrate that scare stories about the government reducing 'workers rights' post brexit were built on nothing more than speculative scaremongering.

Mystic Meg then quoted some figures which purport to show that the UK is a unique repository of cheap, unskilled imported labour, as if that were somehow an advertisement for remaining in the EU. In response I pointed out that exploitation of cheap imported labour is far from unique to the UK, and that it is the norm in the EU, which is posited by the remainer left as a haven of 'workers rights'.

Both posters seem to miss the glaringly obvious fact that it is the EU freedom of movement of labour rules - one of the oft quoted dogmas which sits at the heart of the EU project - which has permitted UK firms to exploit cheap imported labour, most particularly since the accession of the Eastern States and Blair's waiving of the 8 year EU moratorium on opening the UK to immigration from those countries. This has been a major factor in the UK's lamentable record of investment and productivity, something which might potentially be addressed by Brexit and the stricter rules on unskilled immigration.

Neither Enfield Boy's nor Mystic Meg's posts are an advertisement for the advantages of EU membership, or the disadvantages of Brexit.

The EU is in truth very far from the shining beacon of virtuosity touted by the former pro-remain camp regard of workers' rights. In fact workers rights in the EU are largely a case of EC smoke and mirrors, artful presentation rather than meaningful substance. The EU is at root and core a neoliberal organisation, and it routinely favours capital over labour both within the Treaties and ECJ case law, and in its response to (often self-inflicted) crises, such as that which threatened EMU a decade ago.

Successive EU Treaties have enshrined the right of the establishment (business) to establish an enterprise, offer services, move capital, and move labour, to wherever they wish in the EU, and ECJ case law has suppressed the rights of workers to object to it (see Viking Line and Laval, 2007). Free movement of people is not about the right of people to go on holiday, or buy a house in France, it is about the arbitrage of labour, the right of businesses to drive down costs by relocating to where cost are lower, or by importing cheaper workers from poorer locations.

Try talking about 'workers rights' to Ukrainian workers in German meat processing factories, or to Greek, Italian and Spanish labourers whose jobs were sacrificed to save the French and German banks in the Euro crisis. It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say.

The minimum wage was never given as a reason the leave the EU.

Utter nonsense. The link between "immigration we can do nothing about because of the EU" and low wages wasn't just given, it was a centrepiece - as if the Brexiteers had any intention of doing the work. Witness the immediate labour shortages even in a reduced economy.

The supply problems only beginning to be experienced in the UK are not replicated in other COVID stressed countries, so the baloney about that being down to COVID will wear thin eventually. I'm not at all surprised that the willingness to face facts among Brexit voters is taking a long time, if they had analysed it at all, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Any updates on the Festival of Brexit Island 2022?

“Creative teams made up of leading organisations and renowned thinkers, working alongside freelancers, emerging talent and under-represented voices”.

Renowned thinkers- Claire Fox and Laurence Fox, slurping pints down The Spoons?
Freelancers- read chancers, probably the same passengers on the VIP Covid gravy train.
Under-represented voices= furious white pensioners who can’t speak their mind in their own country any more.

Utter nonsense. The link between "immigration we can do nothing about because of the EU" and low wages wasn't just given, it was a centrepiece - as if the Brexiteers had any intention of doing the work. Witness the immediate labour shortages even in a reduced economy.

The supply problems only beginning to be experienced in the UK are not replicated in other COVID stressed countries, so the baloney about that being down to COVID will wear thin eventually. I'm not at all surprised that the willingness to face facts among Brexit voters is taking a long time, if they had analysed it at all, we wouldn't be in this mess.

You are deliberately conflating unskilled EU immigrant labour and the legal and enforcible UK minimum wage. The latter has nothing to do with either the EU or brexit. The former is a separate and distinct argument, and you haven't even attempted to respond to the points that I have made.

No, try again. You can't quote illegal activity that has been prosecuted as an indicator of normal behaviour.

Most people pay for their groceries. Because a few don't, it doesn't make this the norm.

There's a hell of a lot of illegal activity re wages, conditions etc that isn't prosecuted, likely far more than is. There's so much of it that it is normalised, whether through enforced unpaid overtime, not being paid for activity necessary to perform the job or slave gangs. You originally said no-one is paid less than minimum wage, that is so wrong it's risible.

You are deliberately conflating unskilled EU immigrant labour and the legal and enforcible UK minimum wage. The latter has nothing to do with either the EU or brexit. The former is a separate and distinct argument, and you haven't even attempted to respond to the points that I have made.

That's because your essay arrived after I had posted.

The use of the term minimum wage to illustrate low wage was widespread and it doesn't really matter that the EU had nothing to do with the UK's minimum wage, it had nothing to do with a whole raft of things it was blamed for. You may seek to call these separate arguments but that is not how they were presented.

Your argument that but for the availability of EU unskilled labour, UK companies would invest more money they haven't got in training and higher wages is not something that stands up. They will seek to fill those vacancies with non-EU labour and any higher costs will just fuel inflation. An economy will always rely on a plentiful supply of labour and making that difficult has real world consequences. Thinking that a few higher paid roles and that UK benefits culture will suddenly become motivated is a joke. It may have been lot of those voters that Brexit managed to energise, but that won't survive closer scrutiny when pressure is applied on them to take those jobs or lose benefits. Good luck with that.

I'm still unclear as to why you would choose to shackle UK business and limit them to some of the worst performing labour in the market. Something our competitors won't be constrained by.

As for the tired arguments about movement of labour, that has happened all around since the year frozen stiff. What kind of alternative to capitalism do you have in mind? That really is a separate discussion but not one I'd expect from you. Sitting in our little UK canoe while the bigger boats carry on moving labour to where it is required is not a serious option. Johnson and co and only pretend that the UK can defy gravity for so long and the decisions they are faced with remain the same.

The newspapers obviously stick to the larger picture, but often the comments are more instructive. This one is one of the responses to the Times article on supply problems and labour shortages.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...abour-shortages-could-start-to-bite-gv5gq0tc5

It will be thousands of small businesses who don't get the publicity or are not represented by national spokespeople who will get the worst of this. From the party who were supposed to represent them, who now rejoice in their destruction. F*** business indeed. All to grab some votes to prevent their party splitting, it is truly pitiful.

"As the owner of 2 small independent cafes and with +25 years commercial food and drink experience ( currently as a sales director for an SME ). The article above only touches the surface of the problems and issues being faced daily / weekly. We should have fair wage for fair work and good working conditions.. and they did exist before March 2020.. we are all waking up and smelling (not great ) roses as feared .. more like a pile of manure! How many people have been recently heard utter the immortal words . ‘I didn’t realise that brexit would lead to this situation’ ( for reference I live in Lincolnshire ). Covid will pass and be controlled.. the lasting legacy of the referendum will continue to haunt and hurt our country. My 4 young adult children have all expressed their stated aim to leave for good! I voted remain and the day after I accepted the democratic result, but gosh WHAT HAVE WE DONE."

Bear in mind we still haven't done all the Brexit things we have to do yet and it's going to get stricter in October https://www.getreadyforbrexit.eu/en/at-the-uk-border-2/

We are heading for serious food shortages.

E9ooiydXIAUcFbV

Fortunately all of the brexit misery is offset by the much more affordable housing, now that Johny Foreigner has had to go back home.

Fortunately all of the brexit misery is offset by the much more affordable housing, now that Johny Foreigner has had to go back home.
Well the static caravan rental market in Lincolnshire has dropped, so that’s a Brexit positive. I’m thinking about brining in the new year in a field outside Boston. Hoping Stevec67 can give me some recommendations.

Bear in mind we still haven't done all the Brexit things we have to do yet and it's going to get stricter in October https://www.getreadyforbrexit.eu/en/at-the-uk-border-2/

We are heading for serious food shortages.

E9ooiydXIAUcFbV
I suggest eating as much as you can immediately, even though that will obviously lead to a brexit related issue with energy as everyone switches their cooker on, a brexit related problem with the water supply as everyone washes up at the same time, and of course, a brexit related run on bog roll as millions tackle yet more paperwork.

particularly since the accession of the Eastern States and Blair's waiving of the 8 year EU moratorium on opening the UK to immigration from those countries. This has been a major factor in the UK's lamentable record of investment and productivity, something which might potentially be addressed by Brexit and the stricter rules on unskilled immigration.

Yet the UKs peer competitors in the EU still managed to have way higher levels investment in training and automation. Britain left Europe, crap management didn’t leave Britain.

I suggest eating as much as you can immediately, even though that will obviously lead to a brexit related issue with energy as everyone switches their cooker on, a brexit related problem with the water supply as everyone washes up at the same time, and of course, a brexit related run on bog roll as millions tackle yet more paperwork.

This time next year, (a very hungry) Farage will be eating Brexiteer pie. Very fitting given that Brexit voters were his poodles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back