advertisement

Chillies

monkfish

pfm Member
I've become a bit of a chilli fiend of late, I've had the usual suspects fresh, dried, flakes including scotch bonnet, habanero, birds eye, thai chillies, I particularly like scotch bonnets.
Bought a bag of dried carolina reapers, there are about a dozen dried pods in the bag, thing is, I have no idea how much to use, any chilli savvy fishies have any experience ?
My instinct was to just fling one in a chilli con carne for 4 people but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

a chilli isn't about heat, there are loads of flavours in them.

I tend to use about 6 or 7 varieties of dried 3 or 4 varieties of fresh, and two or so varieties of ground. All different.

I'd have used a dried California Reaper, one in a pot for four. I took it out halfway through cooking as the developing heat was overpowering the subtlety of the others.

if you really want to do it right put one reaper in person. And be prepared for rocket fuel when you eat and when you shlt the next morning

A chili is largely about the heat for me. Or at least replicating the level I had become accustomed to whilst living in Thailand.

The french are fairly crap at asian foods, so there is no chance of finding ones hot enough where I live.

The Carolina reaper is feisty, me and my brother ate half a raw one each and were out of the game for around and hour. I would start with not more than a half in a meal you can always add more.

naga is probably a bit easier to cook with though with all these hot one the heat builds in your mouth over the meal so if it’s f hot to start it’s to hot to enjoy.

Last edited:
A chili is largely about the heat for me. Or at least replicating the level I had become accustomed to whilst living in Thailand.

The french are fairly crap at asian foods, so there is no chance of finding ones hot enough where I live.
The French eat very few chillies. Even after their Vietnam colonial experience they aren't into them. You might expect them to pop up in Moroccan food, it seems not.

I just have a varied selection of chillies in the house at all times. Fresh, dried and powdered. If I see something different, I’ll probably buy it just to make a change. Dried birds eye chillies are great for pepping up a meal that just isn’t hot enough: bramble two between my finger and thumb, then remember that I need to remove my contact lenses later.

The French eat very few chillies. Even after their Vietnam colonial experience they aren't into them. You might expect them to pop up in Moroccan food, it seems not.
Correct. To be fair in alsace they are pretty much into their own stuff and not much else.

Mrs P grows chillis all the time. lovely!

She did get me this which is awesome. Hot but with superb flavour:-

TabascoScorpionSauceShopOnline_WhatTheFood_720x_5e81b811-4c53-4d98-8e35-8853b60126f8_460x.png

https://www.tabasco.com/hot-sauces/scorpion-sauce/

I like the Encona 'Carolina Reaper' sauce for a daily go-to.

Not actually significantly hotter to my taste than Encona Original (which has a mustard/vineger-y, front of tongue heat but no real flavour) where ...the allegedy-hotter actually tastes of something, the fruity/sweet complex of the hotter scotch bonnet/reaper peppers.

Chillies and my bowels tend not to get on so I don’t bother, I do like a bit of lime pickle though and add a bit of that to a plate of Spag Bol and suchlike.

Chillies and my bowels tend not to get on so I don’t bother, I do like a bit of lime pickle though and add a bit of that to a plate of Spag Bol and suchlike.

I used to love Patak’s lime pickle, then it went totally crap a few years ago. Has it been returned to its former edible recipe yet?

advertisement

Back