advertisement

Washing Machine

I have a few skin sensitivities so apparently an effective rinse cycle can help. Previous machine was a John Lewis that Which rated in that respect and I bought it for the three year warranty. It lasted 12. Current machine is a Samsung that I bought for the five year warranty.

We have a Samsung ecobubble 9kg load machine. Up to 1400 spin speed.

It replaced a German brand, which I can’t remember, but that lasted about 13 years with one repair which was covered by warranty at the time.

The Samsung thing plays a tune when it has finished. I annoy The Wife by whistling along.

We generally use one program, 30° C. one hour wash, 1400 spin. Stuff comes out clean. (Ariel powder) We argue about whether fabric conditioner should go in when washing towels, my side being “No,” based on the lessening of the function of a towel or tea-towel, and I like a rough cotton towel. The Wife thinks the opposite. I therefore wash my own towels o_O
We have no clothes drying machine, regard them as unnecessary and ecologically unsound.
I have never had one, even when I had 3 kids/single parent, children make a lot of clothes to wash. Used to have those natty plastic coated wire jobbies that fit on radiators all over the house. And an indoor rack. Most shirts can be put on a clothes hangar and a place found to dry.

I did have a girlfriend who had a clothes drying machine, I hated it. It shrank some of my clothes.
I generally only wear cotton clothing, and much of it requires attention in the drying process. Even socks needs a shake out:)

We are Miele fans, but here in Swizzieland, houses come with two electricity supplies, one of them a 400V three-phase one, and washing machines run on this. As a result, the whole caboodle is much more robust.

I have gone to John Lewis and bought a Miele W1 Excellence Active - £599, so £100 more than the AEG I bought in 1994. Been delivered and installed and (touch wood) is working OK. It is certainly quieter than my last machine, that's for sure.

We have no clothes drying machine, regard them as unnecessary and ecologically unsound.

We have a large tumble dryer in the garage. It’s a heat pump thingy, no condensation, and we only use it during the day when the solar panels are doing their thing.

We have a large tumble dryer in the garage. It’s a heat pump thingy, no condensation, and we only use it during the day when the solar panels are doing their thing.

Thank you.
For the life of me I could not think of the name of those clothes drying machines.

I just knew it was boxy looking. Brain injury in full effect.

I have gone to John Lewis and bought a Miele W1 Excellence Active - £599, so £100 more than the AEG I bought in 1994. Been delivered and installed and (touch wood) is working OK. It is certainly quieter than my last machine, that's for sure.

Congrats on your purchase and happy washing! That reminds me, lovely day here, I'm going to put my washing on the line :)

Blooming eco warriors comin in ‘ere with their green credentials….
Tony, bike on axle lift, generator hub on the back, peddle till dry. I can see your wife coming out to open the machine periodically and give you wallop.

We have a very cheap basic tumble drier hidden in a cupboard in the utility basement. Emergency use only - and since the kids have gone to Uni - not at all in the last two years. So must be a candidate for a facebook marketplace sale and free up large cupboard - perfectly situated for a drinks and wine cupboard!

Clothes go outside on dry days or we have a long 5 line drying arrangement close to the boiler in the utility basement.

Bloody grammar nazi into the bargain! :)

Nuffink to do wiv grammar, Dec. It's a homophonic error. If you peddled the pedal, you'd end up a crank, or maybe just fork it !

I'll add, keeping it on topic, that our very rusty, 15(?) year old LG 8 kg w/mach. makes so much noise I can easily hear it from the bottom of my garden, 100+ feet away. The bearings must be absolutely shot (and I'm sure the drum wobbles) but it still washes well. Brilliant machine.

I’m old enough to think you meant a Flatley dryer!!!

My Ex- In-Laws had a Flatley. Green I think it was.

They also had a wonderful contraption made of wood and pulleys that would pull up to the very high ceiling. Very old mansion.

There was one in my parents' house. We called it a 'clothes maiden'. (The house was not old, and definitely not a mansion).

see you here in 10 years then saying 'it's still not broken down' !

This week the (Bosch) washing machine (about 10 years old) started emitting loud noises on fast spin. Bearings need replacing, thinks I. A bit of googling reveals it is a sealed drum type, so bearings not replaceable, and new drum is about £230 (plus fitting).
New machine then.

More googling to find one that does not have a sealed drum reveals that only Miele do that now (and that excludes the cheapest model).
I've had a Miele before, and though they are built better with ability to repair, the cost of spares and Miele only repair people means if they do need repair, they get expensive.
So I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will need a new one every 10-12 years.
So much for 'right to repair'.

Ordered this from Appliance City:
https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/produc...chines/front-load-washing-machines/WAN28281GB

It will be the 4th machine since 1987, so averaging 11 years or so each (Hoover, Miele, Bosch).

advertisement

Back