advertisement

Options for shipping expensive hifi in the UK

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
My DAC needs to go in for repair. I usually send stuff using Interparcel choosing UPS as the carrier but Interparcel's 4% insurance charge is a real stinger for high value items, - it's going to add an extortionate £95 onto the otherwise very reasonable £13 shipping cost! I'm therefore looking into alternatives.

Royal Mail Special Delivery is coming it at £44 including the insurance, but it's going to tight w.r.t. the maximum allowable dimensions... I might be just over the limit.

I've also been on UPS's website and, for the exact same service that Interparcel are quoting £108 for, UPS are seemingly offering for £32. I'm not sure if VAT is still to be added to this price, but even if it is, it still works out almost £70 cheaper!

I've never booked a UPS delivery directly via their website. Is it easy to do as a one-off, or do you need to set up an account and commit to a certain number of deliveries each month?

I've never booked a UPS delivery directly via their website. Is it easy to do as a one-off, or do you need to set up an account and commit to a certain number of deliveries each month?
I have done it. No hassle at all. You might need to register a free account (I already had one).

Hi,

If its going to the manufacturer could they not arrange collection for you, they probably have logistics down to a tee :)

S

Hi,

If its going to the manufacturer could they not arrange collection for you, they probably have logistics down to a tee :)

S
Not going to the manufacturer but to their UK distributor/reseller/repairer called ElectromodUK who are essentially a one-man outfit run by Mark Dolbear. He's been incredibly helpful to me over the years so I don't want to push my luck in this instance as his access to preferential logistics rates has been impacted by Covid and supply shortages.

Not going to the manufacturer but to their UK distributor/reseller/repairer called ElectromodUK who are essentially a one-man outfit run by Mark Dolbear. He's been incredibly helpful to me over the years so I don't want to push my luck in this instance as his access to preferential logistics rates has been impacted by Covid and supply shortages.

Chuckle - I wasn't thinking of preferential rates, the manufacturers royally shafted me for carriage too, as would UPS, its more just if they throw it away they would accept responsibility faster as manufacturer/distributor is a regular customer, or at least you would hope that :)

S

I had the misfortune to book for the first time with UPS a month ago and I'm still dealing with the fallout. Multiple tariffs were taken from PayPal and only just refunded, website crashed on me twice, 30 mins on phone to set up again, driver then couldn't collect, back to the phone with the same outcome but driver then sorted problem, and so on. Attempts to contact customer support ignored, another 20 mins on phone trying to get through to billings, etc, etc. I'm still fuming.

Summary:- AVOID UPS AT ALL COSTS !

CHE

UPS is my preferred carrier , Used them lots , Good value , Good service and you can also drop of and collect fron the nominated shops , Works for me , Never had a problem ( Yet )

I had the misfortune to book for the first time with UPS a month ago and I'm still dealing with the fallout.
Summary:- AVOID UPS AT ALL COSTS !

CHE

UPS is my preferred carrier , Used them lots , Good value , Good service and you can also drop of and collect fron the nominated shops , Works for me , Never had a problem ( Yet )

I think this is a 'disease' of our modern society, most things, goods shipping, mobile phones, broadband, insurance, utilities etc. go well nearly all of the time, however when they go wrong its more or less impossible to sort anything out, if my call is important, why not experiment with answering it?

S

I've used UPS for years but only through an agent like interparcel. 95% of the time there has been no problem, the other 5% when I've had to deal with a delivery that's been delayed, got damaged or gone AWOL then I've had some toing and throwing with interparcel customer services but I always get the problem resolved in the end. That's what puts me off booking directly with the courier, having more difficulty contacting their customer services in the (admittedly unlikely) event of a problem.

OverlandExpress looks appealing, - the total price including insurance is £65, which is 40% cheaper than interparcel.

I've just had experience using Shiply, they picked up a vintage folding breakfast table from ETSY in Suffolk on Tuesday and delivered to me last night about 8pm it was a genuine one man door to door delivery not a massive courier throwing things in the back of a van and not giving an eff.

I was charged £69 door to door.

Here's the guy's mobile number who arranged my delivery the driver who delivered to me last night said to contact him direct for a better price rather than going through the Shipley website.

Payment is cash on delivery and paid direct to the driver, communication is excellent.

07969 751010

advertisement

Back