advertisement

Vertigo

Central Audio

Trade Central Audio
I know Hifi forums are not the best place to seek medical advice but any experience/help with symptoms, I can’t get a consultation with my GP till next week.

How bad?
Dizzy and slightly nauseous or cannot get off the bed without falling over and constantly vomiting?

You might have Labyrinthitis. Had a very bad attack of this about 12 years ago and it came on suddenly and was extraordinarily debilitating. I was told it can happen a week to ten days after a cold or some other infection. It passed in a day or two but was quite scary and even walking was almost impossible. Driving was a no no as every time I moved my head the world span round or tipped up.
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Labyrinthitis/

I know Hifi forums are not the best place to seek medical advice but any experience/help with symptoms, I can’t get a consultation with my GP till next week.
Do some googling.
The commonest cause is labyrinthitis, thought to be viral.
It can be very disabling, but usually time limited although often recurrent.
If it's not too bad, then no treatment or a short course of prochloperazine (prescription only), may suffice.
Bear in mind that some strokes can present with similar symptoms, so best to speak to or see a medic if you have risk factors for cerebrovascular disease.

It’s also accompanied by tinnitus and usually lasts around 4/5 hours, it seems to be triggered when I get up from the settee, the first attack was 2 weeks ago and an ambulance came out and I checked out OK, the next one was last night around the same time but came on more gradually and lasted around the same time.

Sounds like Menieres if it include tinnitus. Do you feel pressure in the ear too and lose hearing?

I had Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) a few years back. Most noticeable when making sudden movements like getting out of a car or bed. I found out when I fell out of a train at Euston after it had just stopped. Prochlorperazine is amazing stuff and works really well. It's largely gone now, it kind of fizzled out after a few months.

I would be booking spire healthcare GP appointment, 120 quid but pretty fast to see .or any other private gp

I had Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) a few years back. Most noticeable when making sudden movements like getting out of a car or bed. I found out when I fell out of a train at Euston after it had just stopped. Prochlorperazine is amazing stuff and works really well. It's largely gone now, it kind of fizzled out after a few months.

It could also be Ménière’s disease or syndrome. I suffer from this periodically.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menieres-disease/#overview

in the meantime if you have any anti histamines at home take one.

I'd sugest trying anti histamines and seeing which work.

Mine first came on about 40 years ago and was initially diagnosed as Labirynthitis. Everytime I rolled over in bed at night the World would take off on the most violent spins and lurches. The only thing was to keep my head still until it subsided. I also have Tinnitus.

IIRC, I was first given 'Stemetil' , which is prochlorperazine. Also Stugeron. which is Cinnarizine and supposedly 'stronger'. Finally 'Betahistine Hydrochloride'.

It recurred and subsequent investigations determined that it was not anything 'sinister' and was actually BPPV. I'm not clear whether labirynthitis can lead to BPPV, but the latter is apparently caused by bits of debris, or crystals floating about in the semi circular canals of the ear and triggering inappropriate responses.

I was given the 'rolling about' treatment once...which helps to lead the crystals back to where they should be.. It did help.
Since then.. I'm a bit more careful to avoid odd movement. For e.g., rolling about under the car isn't a good idea...even when it is stationary..

I've used the above mentioned anti-histamines over time. ..with variable results. However.. I keep a small supply of Diazepam/Valium (tranquilliser), to use when anxiety defeats my CBT training. Now that works.. and quickly. Quite simply.. it seems to attenuate certain nerve responses. I believe it has been prescribed for Vertigo. However.. I use it for that purpose because I can..and because I elect to. It is not prescribed to me for that purpose.... but also I am very careful to use Diazepam sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. It is a lifeline I don't intend to spoil by using it too freely and becoming dependent.

advertisement

Back