advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Thanks for that Tony. I'd given this one a miss, but I'm wavering...

It seems to be getting some decent reviews, but as far as I’m concerned Ron Carter’s signature on a 2000 limited edition can’t be anything other than a good buy! The more I look at his career the more amazed I become, he plays on just about everything, just an endless catalogue of classic albums. I don’t know the exact percentage, but I bet he plays on at about a quarter of my jazz collection!

This interview with Rick Beato went up last night and is well worth a watch.

I love Ron Carter's playing as a sideman. However I find most of his albums as leader less than compelling and I seldom play them. I am not sure what it is; perhaps they lack a distinct 'voice'. And it's not because he's a bass player, for instance, I love albums by Gary Peacock, Dave Holland, Charlie Haden, Mingus and Jaco.

I really like ‘Blues Farm’, one of his CTI albums from the ‘70s, which annoyingly seems to be out of print at present (I’ve got a great sounding US original). It has that real ‘70s soul-funk groove, but that aside I’d tend to agree based on what I’ve heard. I’m curious to hear Golden Striker when it turns up as a no drums gig is always a tough one and I’m curious how he takes it rhythmically.

The only album I have is a copy of "Yellow & Green" on CTI. Typical CTI light jazz-funk.

Golden Striker just arrived, I won’t have a chance to play it for a while, but it looks nice and has another nice low number #0044 (last year’s was #0035).

PS I don’t think there is any value to low numbers aside maybe from #1 as really they are all as rare as each other, but with signed stuff you do often get a better signature the lower the number, i.e. before tiredness sets in!

I would just like to say that this is the best thread on the whole of pfm. Thanks for all the contributions. But you buggers have cost me an awful lot of money.

The more I look at his career the more amazed I become, he plays on just about everything, just an endless catalogue of classic albums. I don’t know the exact percentage, but I bet he plays on at about a quarter of my jazz collection!

I just stumbled across the fact that, according to Guinness World Records, Ron Carter is the most recorded jazz bassist in history - over 2200 credits as of 2016

I just stumbled across the fact that, according to Guinness World Records, Ron Carter is the most recorded jazz bassist in history - over 2200 credits as of 2016

Just going through the discogs list and it is just astonishing. Classic album after classic album after classic album. In any list of the 100 best jazz albums he’d be playing on about half of them!

I wonder who might be considered his living bass contemporaries. Cecil McBee is a favourite of mine and Reggie Workman is still with us and playing - though both have just under 500 recordings each listed on Discogs - the slackers!

I wonder who might be considered his living bass contemporaries. Cecil McBee is a favourite of mine and Reggie Workman is still with us and playing - though both have just under 500 recordings each listed on Discogs - the slackers!

Dave Holland?? Although he's nowhere near as prolific, indeed positively lazy by comparison.

discography - Dave Holland

His latest record is very good and on my shopping list - its got a very interesting mix of styles. :

I guess being around studios in the 50s and 60s where you might cut a few sessions a month each of which might become several records just doesn't happen these days.

Not necessarily Jazz, but I wonder how many sessions Carol Kaye played on? The not necessarily reliable Wiki estimates 10,000+

advertisement

Back