advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanm

pfm Member
Continued excessive government borrowing is not a good idea especially in inflationary environments (less money for pledges). It can also adversely affect inflation (up) and taxes (up) but ultimately it's about risk - how the market rates the risk (as a measure of debt to GDP) of lending to a particular country. Should that risk increase, things can get very tricky for governments who like to borrow. Obviously if that country is the USA, the rules are more flexible.
A statement which completely contradicts the consensus amongst mainstream economists really does need a bit more to back it up. I think you’ll struggle to find anyone seriously arguing that “things could get tricky” for the UK gvt because of the way markets rate risk.

I would like to use awareness of the national debt to argue for a rise in the tax take in the not too distant future - be it from VAT or income tax or some other means.
Absolutely, the debt or the deficit can be funded by means other than austerity, clamping down on tax avoidance for one thing, but as the Tories personally benefit by such vast amounts from tax avoidance, that is unlikely.

Another option would be to stop the Tories funnelling vast amounts of public money into their own back pockets and those of their mates.

The last point is the most important which is why I see the focus on debt/deficit repayments as smoke and mirrors to deflect public attention from the real problem in our economy. The real problem is not servicing our debt, it’s the thieving, lying, duplicitous, Tory Basatrds

Continued excessive government borrowing is not a good idea especially in inflationary environments (less money for pledges). It can also adversely affect inflation (up) and taxes (up) but ultimately it's about risk - how the market rates the risk (as a measure of debt to GDP) of lending to a particular country. Should that risk increase, things can get very tricky for governments who like to borrow. Obviously if that country is the USA, the rules are more flexible.
“It is rare for government borrowing to cause inflation”
https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/1504/economics/problems-of-government-borrowing-2/

LOL.

At least you got the desired like from one of your friends.
Brian, you took imagined offence at being described as belonging to a demographic. Demographic isn’t a pejorative term and I illustrated that by choosing an example where you and I can be considered to be of the same demographic- those who used to vote Labour. Former Labour voters is my demographic and for me to take offence would be a bit odd.

Jealousy?
Jealous? Nah. I find it amusing how the same members regularly ‘like’ posts when one of their gang has a snipe at another member. It is so predictable.

It’s an interesting behaviour and I like to highlight those doing it. Also interesting is your post, which is designed solely to provoke. No doubt this is a behaviour you despise in others.

Brian, you took imagined offence at being described as belonging to a demographic. Demographic isn’t a pejorative term and I illustrated that by choosing an example where you and I can be considered to be of the same demographic- those who used to vote Labour. Former Labour voters is my demographic and for me to take offence would be a bit odd.
Not offended at all, imagined or otherwise, it’s a forum. You’ll have to really go some to offend me, it’s why I don’t report posts. It’s about pointing out the tone of your posts is attempting to offend while not breaking the AUP.

How do you explain your use of ‘your tribe’, by the way? There was a pfm pile-on the other day over the use of the word ‘mate’ being deemed by some as ‘passive aggressive’. Someone called me ‘mate’ at work only yesterday, not offensive or aggressive at all.

Jealous? Nah. I find it amusing how the same members regularly ‘like’ posts when one of their gang has a snipe at another member. It is so predictable.

It’s an interesting behaviour and I like to highlight those doing it. Also interesting is your post, which is designed solely to provoke. No doubt this is a behaviour you despise in others.

Not offended at all, imagined or otherwise, it’s a forum. You’ll have to really go some to offend me, it’s why I don’t report posts. It’s about pointing out the tone of your posts is attempting to offend while not breaking the AUP.

How do you explain your use of ‘your tribe’, by the way? There was a pfm pile-on the other day over the use of the word ‘mate’ being deemed by some as ‘passive aggressive’. Someone called me ‘mate’ at work only yesterday, not offensive or aggressive at all.
Brian, ISTM that while you talk about the political views etc of others and the way their posts land with you, you have precious little insight into the effect you have on other people. It always comes back to this repeating pattern.

You selectively abstract parts from other folk’s replies to you and ascribe special meaning to them- the theme is usually the same- that you are being persecuted/ ganged up on. Similarly you police ‘likes’ as a sign you are being persecuted by an invisible group, ‘the gang’. Had you ever paused to consider the common feature in all of this ( given that the individuals and the topic under discussion changes)? Had you actually considered your role in this?
Yet again, the thread gets derailed or diverted into your favourite siding- the one with a big sign on it saying “Brian”. It’s very time consuming and highly repetitive.

In which case voting for independance on the hope of rejoining the EU is very risky; the SNP need to set out very clearly what the likely outcome of independance is.
Very clearly, do you mean as clearly as the Vote Leave people did back in 2016?
"No pain, no gain"

Brian, ISTM that while you talk about the political views etc of others and the way their posts land with you, you have precious little insight into the effect you have on other people. It always comes back to this repeating pattern.

You selectively abstract parts from other folk’s replies to you and ascribe special meaning to them- the theme is usually the same- that you are being persecuted/ ganged up on. Similarly you police ‘likes’ as a sign you are being persecuted by an invisible group, ‘the gang’. Had you ever paused to consider the common feature in all of this ( given that the individuals and the topic under discussion changes)? Had you actually considered your role in this?
Yet again, the thread gets derailed or diverted into your favourite siding- the one with a big sign on it saying “Brian”. It’s very time consuming and highly repetitive.
Funnier and funnier coming from the bloke who vets almost every new member who dares venture into one of your threads.

Is this the best you can do?

If you want an example of an 'interesting post', I'll refer you to one of your own:
I don’t know who you refer to. On this forum at least there are many more hoping the UK will fail than people predicting implosion of the EU.

Now brexit has happened and we’ve seen the EU show its true colours, if brexit caused a breakdown of the EU that would be a positive of brexit.

You are saying there that you agree with the Brexiters who want the EU to collapse because of the perceived 'punishments' the EU have meted out to the UK. As I pointed out in a now deleted thread, this is nasty, vindictive, spiteful, shows no regard for the millions of EU citizens who would be badly affected by the collapse of the EU, and lastly, has a nasty whiff of English exceptionalism.

I hope this isn't a commonly-held position amongst people who identify themselves as left wing, otherwise we are screwed.

If you want an example of an 'interesting post', I'll refer you to one of your own:

You are saying there that you agree with the Brexiters who want the EU to collapse because of the perceived 'punishments' the EU have meted out to the UK. As I pointed out in a now deleted thread, this is nasty, vindictive, spiteful, shows no regard for the millions of EU citizens who would be badly affected by the collapse of the EU, and lastly, has a nasty whiff of English exceptionalism.

I hope this isn't a commonly-held position amongst people who identify themselves as left wing, otherwise we are screwed.
I’m afraid I can’t give a proper response to whatever is your point as my time is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back