advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

She posted on Facebook yesterday overwhelmed by the response and asking that folk who had bought the vinyl download the album (code with the record) as much to her amazement she’s on the edge of the ‘top 40’ and the downloads will count (I assume a lot of the vinyl won’t as it will be from indies).

Great to see Yellow doing so well and getting such a great response. Worth pointing out that EJT wrote, arranged, produced and mixed the record - a huge talent. I love how much of this stuff is the antithesis of traditional all analog audiophile jazz - it's as much Pro Tools and bedroom production as it is Abbey Road. Here's Emma-Jean a couple of years ago doing Fact Magazine's 10 min track challenge in her flat in Catford.

I've been playing it on repeat via Spotify. Have relented and ordered a vinyl copy.

I did the same - streamed it on Qobuz all day yesterday an thought, sod it, and popped out to get a nice clear vinyl copy from the local Indie. The vinyl must have been really well mastered - it sounds way better on vinyl than the HR stream from Qobuz - so not regretting it a bit and got a nice walk into the bargain :D

Yes, that’s the one. #1 is a real score! I did get a dispatch email a few days ago, though I think our RM are only delivering every couple of days at present due to staff isolating.

I watched Kokoroko's set from the 2020 Proms in BBC iplayer this morning: I'd missed this first time round. Gentle but enjoyable even if I wanted to turn the guitar up just a bit: it lacked the energy of the their EP. They did a really good job of playing to an empty RAH - must have been a tough ask for music that thrives on the energy and feedback from a live crowd.

BBC iPlayer - BBC Proms - 2020: KOKOROKO

Hi Tony - yes it is. Arrived three days after ordering it. I'd assumed that these would have gone much earlier, unless there's been a repress or held-back stock?

I had it on pre-order for months but actually cancelled as it was taking such a crazy amount of time (weeks after the release). I suspected this was going to be a big album (as jazz albums go) so thought I’d double-up and eventually flip whichever copy, but I’m so happy with the yellow RT copy I scrapped the order a few days ago. It is the signed aspect that appealed, an album called ‘yellow’ would just confuse me on blue vinyl.

PS The RSD numbered signed Ron Carter ‘The Golden Striker’ double has finally landed at Juno, I’ve just bagged a copy.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back