advertisement

Tyres… also roadside assistance.

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
I had a close call this evening, going to collect a pair of Linn Ninkas for my friend, I’d just exited the A14 (thankfully) when I got a sudden vibration, followed by my rear nearside tyre exploding and coming off the rim, little to no warning. I’m not aware of running over anything, the tyres were fitted last October, have about 8k miles on them with minimal wear, my tyre pressures were all checked before I set off on my journey… so now I’m worried about the reliability/safety of the rest of them. They’re budget/mid range tyres (landsail) that were recommended by my local garage. I’m thinking that I should ditch the other three and get something better fitted, what are other people’s thoughts?

As for roadside assistance, I pay for RACs highest level of cover… I’m disabled and I was on a genuinely dangerous stretch of road, unable to move the car, it was supposed to be a high priority call out… after two hours waiting in a ditch, I was told I’d have to wait another 90 minutes… this was a lie, I was reliably informed by a contact that they were aiming to be with me at 3.30AM (called them at 7.00PM). I ended up calling the police after two near collisions from speeding cars, they were with me in 20 minutes and had my spare wheel on in another 20 after making the scene safe. The officers couldn’t have been more helpful and told me not to hesitate calling if I ever found myself in a similar situation, I can’t thank them enough… but this begs the question, is it worth having roadside assistance? or should I just call and pay for private recovery if I need it, or call the police if I’m in a dangerous situation? It costs me more for my roadside assistance than it does for my car insurance and on the one occasion I needed it, they failed me.

I seem to recall you have a fast Golf??? If that is the case I would definitely use a premium tyre, probably Michelin Super Sports but they can puncture as well so not necessarily the cause of your incident but less chance of a construction failure IMO. I am sure like most you are on a budget but you have a nice car, don't spoil it for the sake of good tyres.

Re the RAC, if you pay for a disabled or extended care package then they owe you an explanation and a refund as they have let you down badly. I would ask for a refund and leave to find a better solution.

I seem to recall you have a fast Golf??? If that is the case I would definitely use a premium tyre, probably Michelin Super Sports but they can puncture as well so not necessarily the cause of your incident but less chance of a construction failure IMO. I am sure like most you are on a budget but you have a nice car, don't spoil it for the sake of good tyres.

Re the RAC, if you pay for a disabled or extended care package then they owe you an explanation and a refund as they have let you down badly. I would ask for a refund and leave to find a better solution.
Yep, a tuned up MK4 GTI. I needed tyres quickly last year and it’s what they had in stock, they were never intended to be a very long term solution, I was intending to replace them when I got round to getting the wheels refurbished, but now I’m thinking they should all be binned. This really smells of a structural failure, the tread has separated from the side wall on the inner edge!

3bddTwo.jpg

I concur with Gareth. Life is too precious to risk with low quality tyres. I never expect my tyre retailer to carry my preferred brand and sizes. They can usually get anything in within 24 hours. Even with a failed WOF/MOT, there is a grace period to fix the offending issue.

Landsail is probably in the same league as Linglong and Triangle, all of which I would not touch with a barge pole, let alone put on my car and let my life depend on them. Michelin is worth the asking price just for peace of mind.

Glad you got out of a most unpleasant situation intact and unharmed.

I concur with Gareth. Life is too precious to risk with low quality tyres. I never expect my tyre retailer to carry my preferred brand and sizes. They can usually get anything in within 24 hours. Even with a failed WOF/MOT, there is a grace period to fix the offending issue.

Landsail is probably in the same league as Linglong and Triangle, all of which I would not touch with a barge pole, let alone put on my car and let my life depend on them. Michelin is worth the asking price just for peace of mind.

Glad you got out of a most unpleasant situation intact and unharmed.
It made my butt clench a bit, but I’m an experienced driver, I let the car roll to a stop and steered to the side gently, my passenger didn’t even realise a tyre had gone until I’d actually stopped, I bloody well knew though.

Lesson learned, I’ve never cheaped out on tyres before but I’d got two front tyres with worn inner edges thanks to worn bushes last October, the rears were older (powerful front wheel drive wears the fronts quicker than the rears), so I got the bushes done along with tie rods and track rods and all four tyres. I had already spent a lot so went with the budgets as a temporary solution, encouraged by the fact I could have my car back the same day… now I knew they were never going to keep it on a race track, but I never expected one to just blow out on the road. I’ll be getting something decent fitted tomorrow (well later today now).

What a story!
Never go cheap on tyres. Your life depends on them. Now you know.
Happily your ability as a driver probably saved your life!
I favour comfort and durability and – obviously –safety, first. I’ve always bought Michelin tyres even though they are pretty expensive.
They are silent and they last. I feel safe.
I think your wheels are toast.

As others have said, always buy good quality tyres and have them professionally fitted. OK, there is a cost implication, but poor tyre choice can cost you, your friends and family and other road users their lives. Tyres must always come before hifi, for example! After all, they are all that's between you and the road. It's not just the question of longevity and structure, but also of stopping ability, performance in the wet and directional stability. When you have them changed; have the fitters also carefully check your rims.

I wouldn't let the issue with the RAC slide; report it to their CEO.

Tyres are an investment not a cost. I'm delighted to see run flats on their way out and I've always liked Michelin Pilots. Punctures are a thing, total disintegration should not be.

@linnfomaniac83 Glad you are okay. Sounds awful, and you dealt with it very well.

As previously mentioned - I would rake the RAC over the coals via the CEO of the company.
Very poor service, I wonder where disability comes in terms of priority for the RAC?
Maybe if you were a woman, and /or a baby in the car, you may have qualified for a faster response. I dunno.

I would look at taking the ruined tyre back to the garage, there must be a standard for manufacture?
anyhoo, glad you (and passenger) are safe.

edit: (after reading your post to The Wife)

We use Startrescue which The Wife spent a while looking into before choosing them. Used them twice in the last few years, and they have been useful.

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/

Are they? That’ll please me!

I have mixed feelings on RF’s, particularly so after a recent puncture on standard tyres. For a workhorse vehicle they are a good thing IMO and allow the lack of a spare while giving you get-home confidence.

For an enthusiasts / sporty vehicle the loss in handling and feel the RF’s bring is a definite drag. Unfortunately the inflation kits provided when you have no spare are total rubbish and rarely work, so you are faced with a tow or a mobile tyre replacement service.

What a story!
Never go cheap on tyres. Your life depends on them. Now you know.

Most definitely. There is a problem though that tyre places often try to pitch some of the less well known tyre brands - probably because they'll make more margin on them - often saying stuff like "they're from the same factory as the named brands". My wife has been persuaded by them before - even when I've said to only go with one of the brands I've suggested.

It would seem that the big service entities such as RAC and British Gas are chasing the bottom line and the only way to do this is make gathering service crap. Just ditched BG as a result of verify poor service. Re the tyres, there have been times when I have bought cheap tyres as I couldn’t afford premium brands, definitely noticed a reduction in grip especially in the wet. Now I only buy premium.

Scary stuff, glad you were OK. Disappointing service by the RAC, great service by the police.

I had a tyre blow out on a front wheel on the motorway at ~70mph when I was 18 and I can still remember the feeling - sudden/rapid vibration followed by a feeling like the road was inch deep in oil. Just about managed to guide it onto the hard shoulder without hitting anything, but I'd only just gone clear of a lorry and I know it was close call.

Most definitely. There is a problem though that tyre places often try to pitch some of the less well known tyre brands - probably because they'll make more margin on them - often saying stuff like "they're from the same factory as the named brands". My wife has been persuaded by them before - even when I've said to only go with one of the brands I've suggested.
Oh yes, I’ve heard that many times myself. Word for word. ‘We don’t have those in stock sir, these are fine too and cheaper’. Ok, I’ll wait then!

Glad you’re alright. Nice car, bought a new V5 back in 2000, loved it. Awful service from the RAC but good to hear the police delivered.
Tyres are one of those things in life where it’s just not worth compromising. Check out blackcircles for guide pricing, they often have decent flash sales on premium tyres.

Shame about the RAC. My experience is that the AA and RAC are better at responding to higher priority customers.

As others have said - have no truck with unknown tyre brands. My daughter just bought a car and they said ' we just changed all the tyres for you!" on the pre-delivery service. I was worried that we would find a set of ditch finders fitted and some nice tyres removed for someone else. But found a brand new set of Toyos - so hardly Pirelli, Continental or Michelin - but not too bad all the same. On a front drive Mini Cooper will probably not last too long - but she will be safe enough on them in the meantime.

Glad to read you are okay. That is shocking from the RAC. I definitely wouldn't let that go unchallenged. Thankfully the Police were more than helpful.

Perhaps you were just unlucky with that Tyre. I would hope so anyway. I've had a few company cars where the maintenance company have insisted on Michelin tyres be fitted and wouldn't let the garage fit alternative makes. I do think it's worth paying extra for premium brand tyres - it's the only thing that connects the car to the actual road.

advertisement

Back