advertisement

Charity Shop Vinyl

And then there is the finding of a coveted album in that dusty corner of Oxfam land, yes, yes, it looks mint. You lift said album, cover looks fine..... Reaching inside you find that someone has been ice skating on this now dull, once repairable disc of oil.........

Gutted, on to thenext shop...... See you there!

I agree with Tony on this. Having previously worked for an Oxfam music/book shop, our main aim was to get as much money in TODAY for the charity and not in a year's time. The pricing of secondhand vinyl has become contentious, more so than the pricing of rare books which genuinely have to be rare on an Abe scale to be priced highly. Books also have a regional factor built in - ie Wainwright's sell for a greater premium up here than they might down in Cornwall.
It's different with vinyl, and I think most Oxfams now try and price records to the highest scale they can find on, say, Music Stack. Thus, I've seen a widely available average condition Joni album in Oxfam for £50! Noone is ever going to pay this, so far better to charge a fiver and get the money in right now - given that only a third (approx) of money over Oxfam's tills actually finds its way into 'the field.' Our local Oxfam is charging a tenner for some old Vardis albums. Did anyone ever listen to Vardis back then, let alone now? Again, charge something sensible and get the cash in, this instant, rather than hoping for the one punter in a million who might pay the ridiculous overcharge in ten years' time. There is no excuse for secondhand shops to have an abundance of back stock. Get it out, get a steady cutomer flow, and get the money to where it's most needed.

I've found some awfully overpriced records in Oxfam etc. It would seem that some of these people who actually evaluate the records just look up their Price Guide and charge "Top Dollar" for an album regardless of condition or date of issue. I do like to hear their excuses when I point out serial numbers etc. in THEIR Price Guide showing an LP's actual value.
I don't mind paying a fiver for a record in a charity shop as that's what our local 2nd. hand vinyl shop (Groucho's) charge on average for readily available records.

S/h record shop on the top floor at "Magpie" in Market Place, Chippenham, Wiltshire has some good stuff at a fair price. Picked up an original 1972 UK pressing of Deep Purple "Made in Japan" (TPS351) a couple of weeks back for £4. Cover VG, vinyl visually VG/EX but not had a chance to play it yet, RCM is with joint owner currently!

Shop is worth a visit if you are in the area. Vinyl, cd, dvd and "memorabelia" various.

Cheers

Anthony

Hey man prog is like so today man get with the program - I'm with the revisionists as far as TFTO is concerned don't u do Stuart maconies Freak Zone?

found an early copy of Ummagumma for a quid. Needs a wash but no marks. G&L cover ex.
Not a big PF fan but that's the second PF record i've found recently.

Another day, another thrift store vinyl bonanza. Excited to hear the 4 Men with Beards pressing of Blakey/Monk.

6-EB7460-D-5-C3-F-49-E1-84-DC-95-C42-ECD2753.jpg

Excited to hear the 4 Men with Beards pressing of Blakey/Monk.
Underwhelmed by 4MWB so far, I have to admit. It seems there was a bass player at these sessions, but you wouldn't really know it from listening to this release. The rest of the band sounds pretty good.

Anyone know how the bass sounds on the original release?

Underwhelmed by 4MWB so far, I have to admit.

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. When you posted the pic my reaction was ‘Ah, shame that Blakey/Monk is a 4MWB!’, then I saw what you wrote and thought I’d wait before commenting! What pressing is the DSOTM?

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. When you posted the pic my reaction was ‘Ah, shame that Blakey/Monk is a 4MWB!’, then I saw what you wrote and thought I’d wait before commenting! What pressing is the DSOTM?

The DSOTM is this one: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/12080871

Nothing super special, but it is pristine, as are the posters (no stickers, alas). I've been waiting years to come across a good copy at a reasonable price. At $2.99, this fits the description.

As for 4MWB, I see the consensus on the Steve Hoffman forum seems to be hit or miss, but mostly miss, often by a mile. Shame.

The Paul Chambers/John Coltrane, OTOH... holy gamoley this sounds amazing!

Nothing super special, but it is pristine, as are the posters (no stickers, alas). I've been waiting years to come across a good copy at a reasonable price. At $2.99, this fits the description.

Bargain. Wrong colour pyramids too!

The Paul Chambers/John Coltrane, OTOH... holy gamoley this sounds amazing!

I haven’t got that one, must keep an eye out.

As for 4MWB, I see the consensus on the Steve Hoffman forum seems to be hit or miss, but mostly miss, often by a mile. Shame.

The ones I’ve heard have been uninspiring (Metal Box, Wire and a couple of others). I’d rank them with Simply Vinyl as decent enough pressings of mundane masterings, and almost certainly digital. By saying that a couple of SV are stunning, e.g. the first Underworld album.

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. When you posted the pic my reaction was ‘Ah, shame that Blakey/Monk is a 4MWB!’, then I saw what you wrote and thought I’d wait before commenting
Heck of a record though, this Blakey/Monk. Worth finding a decent original-ish copy I think. It has become a go-to late afternoon choice.

My 9 year-old granddaughter loves music and was given a turntable for Christmas. She and her mum have also collected a number of records over the past couple of years. I volunteered to clean them for her, and so the two of us spent last Saturday morning doing so. One of the albums she brought was The Beatles 1967-70 compilation. On opening it up we discovered that the vinyl is blue, and is in pristine condition. Apparently, a guy in the local hospice charity shop gave it to her free gratis along with half a dozen others. I know it’s not fantastically valuable but I do think we should pop in and make a reasonable donation!

I used to manage a charity shop in Brighton. High value items - cameras, etc - I'd look at eBay sold prices and put them out at 50% of that. We made money, shoppers got a bargain and stock didn't hang around.

My favourite sale was a Russ Abbot cassette tape. I put it in the window with a hand drawn notice - 'Terrific fun!' 'Double sided!' 'Fully rewound!'. Sold it that day for £5. Advertising works!

advertisement

Back