advertisement

Your Cartridge History

Not a long list:

Shure M75
Ortofon OM10
Goldring Epic II
Nagaoka MP11 Gold (Stilton Body)
Then you moved over to CD, didn’t you?
The Stiltons were produced till the beginning of the 90’s, I seem to recollect.

Then you moved over to CD, didn’t you?
The Stiltons were produced till the beginning of the 90’s, I seem to recollect.

Yes, CD via NAD 5440 and some others, then finally Teac VRDS-T1 / Wadia 15 mostly in that system until very recently.
The bearings seized up in my Rega RB250, and I had been divorced from my TT for some time by then geographically. I got it a new (ok new to it s/h) Origin Live arm (of some description - I don't know) in a deal involving some JBL and AVI speakers only to find it didn't spin the platter any more. I still have it, it was an 18th birthday present from my parents, but it hasn't played a record for nearly 25 years.
The Nagaoka I still have too - could use a service I expect - I bought it ex-demo in a very short lived hi-fi shop in Carmarthen (Dyfed) called Lewis Audio, for about £80 or so iirc and that would have been 91/92 ish.

In reverse order
Benz lp
Troika
Rebuilt karma
Dv20x
Exact
Grado gold
Koetsu black
Troika
Lyra Lydian
Various mm carts
B&o sp7

Had a few but not many compared to some
35 plus years ago, had a rotel turntable, still do actually, had just cheap cartridges on it over the years I used it, before CD's and can't remember what, so in recent years had
Ortofon blue, bronze and black, on rega rp6
Rega apheta 2 on rega P8
Rega apheta 3 and aphelion2 on rega P10
Then went big time with a dynavector drt xv-1t on a sme

Ortofon VMS20
B&O MMC2000
ADC XLM II
Grado F3E+
Nagatron 360CE
Grado FTE+1
Decca Gold
Grado MF3
Sumiko Blue Point
Sumiko Blue Point 2
ZYX RS10
Denon DL103R
Denon DL301ii
Benz Micro Ace SL

I'm playing all the right carts, but not necessarily in the right order!

That said I think this is oldest to most recent:-

Ortofon VMS5E
Ortofon VMS20
Nagaoka MP11
Linn Basik (yellow)
Linn K9
Denon DL110
AT 95e
Goldring G1042
AT OC9MLII
Linn Troika
Linn Troika (ESC rebuild) x 2
Linn ASAKA
Linn ASAKA (Goldring rebuild)

Phillips mm
Ortofon OM30
A&R P77
Linn K9
Linn Troika
Len Gregory Music maker mk1
Goldring 1006
Audio technica AT 120
Denon DL160
Audio technica AT95HE
Technics P22 Jico SAS
Audio technica Precept 550ML
Audio technica AT33EV
Audio Technica OC9 MLII
Audio Technica AT33EV (second one)
Hana SL. my current cartridge.

Suspect a few I have forgotten. Also in first to most recent.
Audio technica AT 110
Ortofon OM10
Ortofon OM20
Audio Technica AT 110 again
AT OC9
Denon DL103
Denon DL304
ZYX R50
Transfiguration Temper V (Still have)
Lyra Argo (Still have)
Lyra Delos (broke sadly)
Koetsu Black (broke sadly but will get repaired one day)
Dynavector 17d2 (still have)
Lyra Dorian (still have)
Kuzma KC3 (same as ZYX R100 Fuji and still have)
Miyajima Shilabe (currently in use).

Most apart from the early MM and DL103 have been bought used via the various forums.

Ceramics
Goldring G800
Shure M75ED II
Ortofon VMS20E
A&R P77
Linn K9
Roksan Chorus Black
Dynavector 10X5 high output MC
Denon 110 high output MC
AT33PTG
AT33PTG II

From Ortofon to Roksan in Rega 3 then Rega 25. Bought the VMS20E because the mags said it was good but can't remember it sounding in any way special. I liked the P77 more but again influenced by the mags and Grahams when the stylus was worn I replaced it with the K9 which I enjoyed especially when I transferred it to the Rega 25.

I found the Roksan Black to be a good all rounder but styli became overpriced so I became MC curious and when the second stylus wore bought the Dynavector in Rega 25. This was a bit of a breakthrough for timbre, then sounded even better in a Thorens TD150 with a Nima arm, then in an LP12 with first an Ittok then the Nima. Eventually when worn I replaced it with the Denon 110 which in the Nima felt like a step back from the Dynavector, I sold it on with very few hours.

Loved the AT33PTG from first hearing in the Nima on the LP12 then in an original Mission 774 on a Garrard 401. After about 7 years replaced with the AT33PTG II which does all I could hope for, feel no interest in changing this set up, especially as digital is sounding so much better now.

Goldring G800
Shure M44E
Empire 999EX
Shure M75 ED
Shure V15 III HE
Linn K9
Linn Asak
AT OC5
AT OC9
Goldring 1042
AT120E
Linn Klyde
AT OC9 II
AT 33PTG

This will test my memory.!

Linn Basik
Ortofon MC10 super
Nagaoka MP11 Boron
Linn K9
Audio Technica
AT95E
ATF-3
ATF-5
AT-OC7
AT-OC9
Stilton bodied version of one or two of the above
Arcam E77 & P77
Golding 1042
Denon DL-103 & 110
Van Den Hull something or other (mc2 super.?)
Miltek Olympia
Kiseki Agate Ruby
Lyra Lydian

Probably more I've forgotten about :)

At440 - 3 years
At f3 - 9 years
Ortofon mc25fl - 6 years
Ortofon rondo bronze - 5 years
At33 ptg - 8 years
At33 ptg II - 1 year

Plus ca change …..
Dual Shure OEM
Ortofon vms20e
A&RP77
Linn K9
Rega Elys
Denon DL304
Denon 103Pro
Esco Troika
A&RP77 with Shure HE retip and softer suspension rebuild plus 2 spare styli

Only three, though many replacement tips;

The standard Sony stylus on a PS LX5 [direct drive two speed deck, c. 1983]

Ortofon M40 [and its plug in 78 partner stylus] on a three speed, 33, 45 and 78 belt drive Dual deck, bought in about 1988[?].

Rega Super Elys as the best standard fitment Rega stylus on a P3 bought in about 2001.

Strangely the rather less high grade Sony deck was certainly better in every single way than the Dual/Ortofon set-up, the real star was the Rega that I used mostly for transferring LPs to digital on a Philips CD recording machine.

Funny story [with no names mentioned] was that I tried some of my LP transfers to CDs out at a very famous Naim/Linn retailer. The owner thought that EMI had made a superb effort on a commercial CD release of Helmut Walcha playing the Well Tempered Clavier. The original LPs were first issue German Electrola pressings that for whole stretches of five minutes betrayed no discernible LP surface noise.

Then I put on Haydn's Cello Concerto in C in the 1963 premiere recording by Milos Sadlo [on Suprafon], which did have a tiny amount of discernible surface noise. The expert thought the deck must be an LP12 with a very expensive cartridge. I suppose that is true blind testing. I did not let on that it was a fairly basic Rega TT set-up used.

I sold the Rega deck to a friend on the Naim Forum once I had preserved my remaining LPs in digital format, in what would now be a terrifying international delivery. It was well double-boxed and perfectly preserved on arrival, and I believe gave many more years of pleasure to its new owner. [Posted via the Royal Mail].

Halcyon days ...

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
In chronological order...or at least as close as I can remember.

Shure ME-97he Encore
Grado Gold
Dynavector 10x4 (twice)
Dynavector 17d2
Dynavector 20xH
Zu/Denon DL-103
Audio Technica AT-33ev
Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTI (diamond plasma deposited on titanium cantilever!! The only cartridge I regret selling)*
47 Labs MC Bee*
Clearaudio Maestro*
Koetsu Urushi Platinum Signature*
Ortofon Quintet Mono
Dynavector 17d3
Paradox Pulse / Denon 103r
Nagaoka MP200
Audio Technica 150sa
Lyra Kleos*

Bold
indicates still in house.
* indicates purchased second hand

I'm pretty much done my cartridge quest. No need to try any more as I'm happy with my current selection and will just retip / rebuild as required.

advertisement

Back