advertisement

GB News Channel

I really wish the penny would drop. This is a tried and tested propaganda trope; an all-powerful right-wing elite deflecting attention from their own corruption, theft, erosion of our rights, civil liberties etc onto an easy to demonise ‘other’ who are in effect zero threat to anyone. Lining their own pockets at our expense whilst shouting “look, those refugees are coming to steal your jobs!”.

In any sane country this government would be on fire right now. This is the far-right doing exactly what the far-right does; demonise, scapegoat, divide and consolidate power. I am horrified that as a nation we seem to accept it.
I quite agree Tony, but tragically they're even being criticised in the Telegraph as "labour-lite". (I only saw the headline as it's before the paywall)
Comment
The rudderless, Labour-lite Tories face an autumn of political carnage

What is conservative about a Conservative Party that wants to hike taxes and increase energy costs?

Allister Heath

Wikipedia suggests Mr Heath has form.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allister_Heath
In June 2018, Heath claimed that "Cultural Marxism is running rampant."[8] Cultural Marxism is a far-right antisemitic conspiracy theory, and Heath has been criticised for using this term.

I really wish the penny would drop.
It could be a long time.
Three centuries back the Gordon Riots illustrated your trope quite clearly.
No people of colour seem to have been involved.
But Irish and Catholics were the distracting scapegoat of that particular day.
It's an old Tory propaganda trick. Not likely to disappear in Tory-forever Britain.

I really wish the penny would drop. This is a tried and tested propaganda trope; an all-powerful right-wing elite deflecting attention from their own corruption, theft, erosion of our rights, civil liberties etc onto an easy to demonise ‘other’ who are in effect zero threat to anyone. Lining their own pockets at our expense whilst shouting “look, those refugees are coming to steal your jobs!”.

In any sane country this government would be on fire right now. This is the far-right doing exactly what the far-right does; demonise, scapegoat, divide and consolidate power. I am horrified that as a nation we seem to accept it.
You forgot to add that it's fine in the context of covid.

You forgot to add that it's fine in the context of covid.

You really do try to force this one! There is no reason at all why asylum seekers/refugees can’t be helped in a fully covid-safe manner. There is a whole world of normality that lies between Farage & Patel’s xenophobic demonising and scapegoating ‘others’ as part of a political agenda and the libertarian liberal-hating anti-mask conspiracy theorists you seem to have fallen in with of late!

From Hope Not Hate:

1zxzifngetxs.png

You really do try to force this one! There is no reason at all why asylum seekers/refugees can’t be helped in a fully covid-safe manner. There is a whole world of normality that lies between Farage & Patel’s xenophobic demonising and scapegoating ‘others’ as part of a political agenda and the libertarian liberal-hating anti-mask conspiracy theorists you seem to have fallen in with of late!
Right: showing my alignment with the libertarian liberal-hating anti-mask conspiracy theorists by supporting masks and vaccines and voicing my scepticism that PHE and JCVI are compromised, or that the government is engaged in experiments on children. It's remarkable how 99% of what someone actually says gets filtered out once you've decided it's an Us and Them situation, and I wouldn't mind so much if I weren't always being lectured on nuance, the perils of tribalism and so on.

There are differences between securitising borders for economic, cultural or health reasons but it's always going to be messy, and border rhetoric is serving the functions you identify even in the case of Covid: it deflects attention away from issues like sick pay, NHS funding, the social care mess, job security, general incompetence and onto the Other. The difference as far as the government is concerned is that universal quarantine etc. is beyond them organisationally and unpopular with their sponsors - so it's left up to the opposition to indulge in border rhetoric.

Is Patel's absurd, theatrical abuse of refugees in any way related to Starmer and others accusing Johnson of being weak on borders? A real head-scratcher. Who can say.

The above has been useful for me. We're used to a local woman coming to the door with a tin for the RNLI. The above made me realise she's not been for ages - for reasons now obvious as probably an effect of covid. So this reminds me to get some money to RNLI via some other route.

Farage would be even angrier to learn that RNLI isn’t even exclusively British: the charity also organises the voluntary lifeboat service in the Republic of Ireland. Organisationally, “Ireland” both North and South is a single operational region for RNLI, so it’s not unusual to find the Irish Coast Guard training Northern Irish lifeboat crews, and vice versa.

The RNLI has just send me some raffle tickets as I bought a pile of Christmas cards from them along with some gifts. I was pondering about filling them in but I will now !

Can we not turn this around back at the flag wavers? Showing how Great Britain must be that people from all corners of the earth risk life and limb on a dodgy boat to get here?

I was having an interesting read earlier about Aron Banks, apparently he made some of his money in insurance and had companies registered in various tax shelters, an interesting aside is that a tried and trusted method of money laundering is to start an insurance company and have someone take out insurance they will never claim, no need for reinsure to cover the risk and lots of money profit. Banks suddenly decides to invest in some old diamond mines that are all but exhausted, another interesting aside is that if you did want to launder money then claiming to have found some diamonds in the middle of nowhere in a country that is corrupt might be a good way to go about it. However no one in the Tory party was keen for anyone to look into this so I am probably worrying unduly.

A friend is the publicity officer at Fleetwood and he has sent me this email
I was chatting to someone from RNLI HQ in Poole yesterday, John and she was telling me they'd received £200,000 in donations the previous day. The normal daily average is about £6,000.
So, hats off to Farage !!
The media team are also dealing with around 100,000 social media 'hits' a day at the moment, 90% of which are positive.
I've had two people arguing on our FB page, following my posting from the RNLI on its role in the channel and how we don't judge, just save. It kicked off straight away, but the small-minded are being swamped by messages of support.
Kinda restores your faith a little bit.

advertisement

Back