advertisement

GB News Channel

I see that Nigel has apparently accused the good old RNLI of providing a taxi service to migrants, so it seems that even that most British of charities is now fair game. And seemingly some crews have been getting abuse as well. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/rnli-hits-out-migrant-taxi-service-accusations
Responding to accusations from Nigel Farage that it is facilitating illegal immigration, the volunteer lifeboat charity said it was “very proud” of its humanitarian work and it would continue to respond to coastguard callouts to rescue at-risk Channel migrants in line with its legal duty under international maritime law.

“Imagine being out of sight of land, running out of fuel, coming across incredibly busy shipping lanes when you’re frightened and you don’t know which direction you’re going in. That is by anyone’s standards distress. Our role in this is incredible important: simply to respond to a need to save lives,” said Mark Dowie, the chief executive of the RNLI.

It’s all part of the War on Woke. First they came for BLM, then they came for the National Trust, now they coming for the RLNI……?
I know, the RLNI. It’s similar to GOP politicians calling Capitol Police witnesses testifying to the mob attack on them as ‘crisis actors’. That’s what Patel will start calling the Police Federation. It was only a matter of time before a Fox style operation opened up in Britain.

Was it not Oscar Wilde who said that "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, an that is not being talked about"? Nigel will be lapping up the infamy and so will his new paymasters.

RNLI.
Suitable emboldened by Farage I wonder how long it'll be before some meat heads try to block a Lifeboat launch...

As it’s the Royal lifeboat service, maybe Farage can be locked up for treason. Or just for being a twat.

Thanks Nigel for bringing to my attention the important work RNLI do rescuing desperate people in danger. Just sent them some cash.

Me too, it'd be interesting to see if this is a significant help for them financially. I don't imaging many Farage fans ( or should that be fannys?) are regular charity donors so it shouldn't negatively impact.

From today's Guardian leader on the issue. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...n-channel-migrants-people-not-political-props
No one expects the current government to go down the liberal route. Its proposed borders bill takes an already hardline policy in an even more punitive direction. There is not much of a gap between Priti Patel, the home secretary, and Mr Farage on these issues. That is her utility to Boris Johnson in the cabinet, guarding his right flank. For as long as that is the calculus in Downing Street, there will be no focus on the humanitarian dimension of the crisis. Mercifully, that callousness is not a fair reflection of wider society, whose values are better represented by the RNLI and its unwavering commitment to treat those in need of rescue as human beings, not political props.

I really wish the penny would drop. This is a tried and tested propaganda trope; an all-powerful right-wing elite deflecting attention from their own corruption, theft, erosion of our rights, civil liberties etc onto an easy to demonise ‘other’ who are in effect zero threat to anyone. Lining their own pockets at our expense whilst shouting “look, those refugees are coming to steal your jobs!”.

In any sane country this government would be on fire right now. This is the far-right doing exactly what the far-right does; demonise, scapegoat, divide and consolidate power. I am horrified that as a nation we seem to accept it.

advertisement

Back