advertisement

High quality standmounts up to £4k

Perhaps these lovelies? https://premiumsound.co.uk/product/...ers/revel-performa-m126be-bookshelf-speakers/

Revel-Performa-M126Be-silver.jpg

I'll have to check those out, thanks

I've not heard many standmounts that come close to the Proac Response 1SCs (anecdotally the D2s are very good, but I have yet to hear a pair) - I was extremely impressed with the Dynaudio Special 25 (not to be confused with the special 40) and could happily live with a pair - stands can make a massive difference, and certainly with Proac that means high mass - the stands for my (now departed) 1SCs weigh nearly 60kg each...

Agreed with the above good stands will probably make it even or a net loss with weight savings. Maybe get a friend or hire someone to help move the floorstanders? If it’s also for setup reasons maybe some furniture sliders under them could be an idea.

I also loved the Proac 1SC and had two pairs down the years.
The big copper phase plug was one of the things that got me looking at the Penaudios and I’d almost describe them as a sort of cost no object iteration of the 1SC.

I think ProAc Response D2s should be on the audition list too. Or, perhaps JMR Bliss speakers, French made and might be tricky to come by in the UK as I don't believe they have distribution there. Nice speaker of an elegant design.

If both you and your wife like floorstanders, don’t abandon them.
Get Shahinian Obelisks. As well as sounding superb the caster equipped Obs are just the easiest speakers to move.

Bill

What about the KEF LS50 Meta with the matching kC62 Subwoofer. I have not heard them but I would like to. Has everybody else heard these against the usual suspects listed above and found them lacking? I know Totems and Dynaudio will be tough to beat.

Plus one for Proac D2d which are good with my Naim 72 RSL HC+ 250dr.
I'd like to hear the ribbon tweeter version as well but the original version has great dynamics and refinement along with nice bass weight for the size.

I have to ask what stands were these as the stands I used for my 1Ss were the Target R series which didn’t seem over light?

I had a custom pair made by a company called Slate Age, based on the design of the Target R5 (I found the R4s too low - the 1SC tweeter really needs to be above ear height from listening position) - they're made from massive sections of black Italian slate - they were a big step up in SQ terms from my R4s - keep an eye on the Wam classifieds if you're interested...:)

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift - MH

advertisement

Back