advertisement

Whisky II

I’ll certainly look out for a dram in a bar.
So, anyone eating out or sat by a fire pit tonight and planning to sup something nice? I’ll probably start with a Wild Turkey 101 before finishing the dregs of my Port Charlotte, after which only the Ardbeg would stand a chance. Cheers all

I’d leave it a few years in the cask. To me ‘smooth’ equals bland and inoffensive. I like a bit of character.

hugely characterful, and delicious. Certainly not bland.

Highly rated. In the context of my post "smooth" means it does doesn't burn the sh1t out of my throat.

Our lad received his unconditional offer to commence post-grad medicine yesterday so finally opened this ‘cask strength from a secret Islay supplier’ to toast his success and it really is very good.

russian image host
I have a couple of bottles on this. I love it. What's strange is that at this strength it is absolutely fine without added water. Congrats to your lad!

Our lad received his unconditional offer to commence post-grad medicine yesterday so finally opened this ‘cask strength from a secret Islay supplier’ to toast his success and it really is very good.

This does look like good value, and am intrigued to know where it comes from. Could you compare it any other Islay? Is it medicinal?

I have a couple of bottles on this. I love it. What's strange is that at this strength it is absolutely fine without added water. Congrats to your lad!

Some whiskies are 'hotter' than others. I like my Wild Turkey Rare Breed (58%) straight but find Wild Turkey 101 (50%) needs a drop of water!

@jimbob75, it reminded me more of Ardbeg than the others on that south coast. It certainly isn’t Bowmore or Bunnahabhain and I’m insufficiently acquainted with the Bruichladdich range to make an informed comparison.

...and, after a taste to familiarise, I did add a dribble of council pop to extend the flavour.

@jimbob75, it reminded me more of Ardbeg than the others on that south coast. It certainly isn’t Bowmore or Bunnahabhain and I’m insufficiently acquainted with the Bruichladdich range to make an informed comparison.

...and, after a taste to familiarise, I did add a dribble of council pop to extend the flavour.
Thanks. I'm an Ardbeg fan (although not tried the Corry). Nice to have an age statement too. Will keep eyes peeled for price reductions on MoM

I've mentioned before but my guess is it's a Laphroaig. MoM have had flash sale reductions on Laphroaig several times, suggesting some sort of relationship. Laphroaig have just released a sherry cask OB. MoM have just released a sherry cask S&D&A&F.
May be all coincidence. I have not tasted it!

It's my 42nd next Monday; so looking to order x2 interesting bottles for £100 all in.

I'm going to go for the Seaweed/Aeons etc cask; whats another c£50 bottle of interest folks? Can be anything (ideally non-peated as I'll have the Seaweed) single or blended scotch, but not Lag 16, Glenfarclas 15 or Glenrothes etc as I've had them all very recently :)

Prompted by the mention of Wright's in Skipton, have we had a list of good shops for whisky?
I nominate Byrne's in Clitheroe https://dbyrne-finewines.co.uk/ They are not in the amazing Aladdin's Cave shop at the moment as it is too tight to be covid safe but are working out of their warehouse, also a great building. Anyway they have a fine range of whiskies (wines, beers etc) and know their stuff.

Big fan of theirs as they're local to me and any excuse to nip to Holmes Mill for a pint or 12 too :D

Another favourite of mine is The Whisky Box in Dunkeld; it's stoked away in a corner, but they have a website too ;)

My only basis for the Ardbeg guess is that its seaweed tang immediately reminded me of Wee Beastie. Whoever made the Seaweed & Aeons etc did a bloody good job.

It's my 42nd next Monday; so looking to order x2 interesting bottles for £100 all in.

I'm going to go for the Seaweed/Aeons etc cask; whats another c£50 bottle of interest folks? Can be anything (ideally non-peated as I'll have the Seaweed) single or blended scotch, but not Lag 16, Glenfarclas 15 or Glenrothes etc as I've had them all very recently :)

Glen Scotia 15.

Springbank 10 if you've not tried it (and can find a bottle).

Or... Kilkerran 12 is great value (seems off the radar)....but again, might be tricky to source, so don't pay over the odds.

Springbank 10 if you've not tried it (and can find a bottle).

Or... Kilkerran 12 is great value (seems off the radar)....but again, might be tricky to source, so don't pay over the odds.

Springbank prices are daft currently, unfortunately.

I'm constantly on a look out for their 15YO but at nearly £90 in places, no thanks!

advertisement

Back