advertisement

jacking up Electric Vehicles to repair a tyre

Even if you could jack them, I doubt you could really get most modern car tyres off with hand tools given the torque levels involved.

Had a puncture in a rear a month ago. Tried using the goop to get home. Hopeless, it pissed out all over the road. Thankfully the tyre was close to the wear bars so I decided to get both rears changed and got the local mobile tyre people to come and put two new tyres on. They said they see it all the time and the goop never works.

How are you expected to change a flat on the side of the road if the car can't be jacked?

You're not. The cars now come equipped with either

s-l300.jpg
and
58C8CD69-D97F-445E-92FD-FF82A19C2961-large.jpg

or

Conti_SSR_grande.JPG

Even if you could jack them, I doubt you could really get most modern car tyres off with hand tools given the torque levels involved.
1. Place tyre iron on lowermost bolt, shaft touching ground.
2. Drive a few inches in appropriate direction.
3. Repeat.

1. Place tyre iron on lowermost bolt, shaft touching ground.
2. Drive a few inches in appropriate direction.
3. Repeat.
You forgot 1a: hope flats on the nuts, and length of the torque bar, are conveniently arranged to make this viable.

Audi Manuals: How to change a lightbulb. Take it to your nearest qualified workshop..........

You jest, but I had a 2006 A6 saloon with halogen bulb headlamps. One blew. Halfords refused to fit, referring me to Audi for the work.

Called Audi. "You're in luck!" They said. "We're having a special offer at the moment. Bulb fitting for £200. Half price."

Apparently, to replace the bulb (value £5), you needed to remover the front of the car. The A6 was designed around having Xenons, ie no need to replace so often, so why bother having easy access?

My local indy did it for £20 and even then they had to remove a load of stuff and get someone with very slender hands to bust a knuckle to fit it.

Last edited:
Ah, but if you have a 2003 A6 with Halogens then it's easy...you just have to remove most of the plastic engine covers, the air intakes etc, and have double jointed wrists and elbows.

Even replaced a Xenon on the TT.

Changing a bulb in one of the "old style" TT rear light clusters is entertaining. The easy bit is unscrewing the retaining thumb-screws. You will then find that the whole cluster is gunked in place by "road dirt", which requires a hefty thump from the inside to dislodge it - easy, except that you are at an awkward angle in the boot and when you give it said thump, the whole caboodle flies out and crashes onto the garage's concrete floor. That'll be £160, Sir. And that was a few years ago. Moral of the story - obtain the service of an England wicket-keeper to catch the damn thing!!! And one final tip- if you wear your Apple Watch on the "thumping hand", take the bl00dy thing off because you will trigger the "Have you had a fall?" alarm!

;););););)

Not heard about this before. No issues with jacking up my Tesla but they recommend an adapter (centering device) to protect the battery.

Interesting thread, we don't have mobile tyre service for cars in Malaysia and I have had punctures a LONG way from the nearest tyre shops.
If the car body is not strong enough to support the battery, what happens if a wheel goes into a drain after a grille collapses, which has happened to me a couple of times

Interesting thread, we don't have mobile tyre service for cars in Malaysia and I have had punctures a LONG way from the nearest tyre shops.
If the car body is not strong enough to support the battery, what happens if a wheel goes into a drain after a grille collapses, which has happened to me a couple of times

That was what I was thinking. Not fit for purpose. Any lane, unimproved seasonal, gravel or dirt road with uneven terrain will cause the vehicle structure to twist, add a couple of potholes and ?? Are you to be restricted to even unbroken pavement only?

at aged 54 I suspect any foray by me into electric vehicle ownership would relatively short lived
This however is something else that's putting me off EV ownership
being honest there's not a lot attracting me to it at present

Interesting thread! All cars are easily damaged by incorrect lifting. Seen loads with damage to the underside.

It would be interesting to see the relevant sections from the Owners Handbook.

It really doesn’t help that it’s virtually impossible to buy a car with sensibly sized wheels with tyres which have a bit of profile on them. When you look at the state of the roads, 16 or 17 are about as big as you should go with at least a 60 profile!

Our car is everything you hate in a single package!

Electric, no jack and 22" wheels with 40 profile.

225583455_10221303990203309_3316277272988575119_n.jpg

Audi Manuals: How to change a lightbulb. Take it to your nearest qualified workshop..........
My 2005 A4 Cab technically had to go to the dealer for a bulb change. The cluster has to be removed so you can gain access to the bulb clip. Both the dealer and Halfords also managed to lose the spring loaded bulb clip that keeps it centered in the housing, unnoticeable until you've long gone and wonder why one of the headlights is pointing in the wrong direction after a while. The dealer picked up the £300 cluster replacement the first time and the second time I ended up using a bit of bent wire to replace it. After that I ended up carrying a torx screwdriver hastily bought on the M40 services and doing it myself.

Our car is everything you hate in a single package!

Electric, no jack and 22" wheels with 40 profile.

225583455_10221303990203309_3316277272988575119_n.jpg
Can you even lift one of the wheels? Many modern car wheels are getting beyond the average persons weightlifting abilities

advertisement

Back