advertisement

Whisky II

Second the Glenmorangie. Consistently good. One I forgot to mention above is Benromach 10. Often available for 29 pounds, and a very decent whisky at that price.

Opened the Crabbies single highland malt, it's really good. Quite dry and earthy, very light peat, no over the top sherrying or other cheap tricks, lingering fruity notes in the finish. Nice. It's not trying to be anything it's not, and it has a certain something that I can't quite place. Recommended at £16, and better than some £30 bottles.

I need to try something NOT from the Western Isles and I’m wavering between Aultmore and Cotswolds. Any guidance, please?

I need to try something NOT from the Western Isles and I’m wavering between Aultmore and Cotswolds. Any guidance, please?
So do you want something diametrically opposed from Western Isles or something slightly different? Slightly different, things like Oban spring to mind.

Far away. That’s why I was thinking Speyside or England (and both brands I mentioned are well regarded and currently discounted).

Far away. That’s why I was thinking Speyside or England (and both brands I mentioned are well regarded and currently discounted).
Sounds fair. Add to the list Penderyn, I tried it recently. Pleasant enough, if unremarkable.

I'm on my second bottle of their standard single malt ( not just today, over several months! ). It's very good. Ok, it's a young whisky at about three years in the cask, but it's smooth and very drinkable. Often reduced from the normal price of £39 down to £30ish. Not tried the Aultmore yet.

I’d leave it a few years in the cask. To me ‘smooth’ equals bland and inoffensive. I like a bit of character.

advertisement

Back