advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was in response to you're not having read the thread - you asked for clarification. You are really polluting this thread and making my experience here unpleasant.
It wasn't, but fair enough Gav. It's not my job to fact check all the clickbait bad news you repeat, I just wish you'd be more circumspect.

Edit. I do feel bad about making things unpleasant for you. Taking myself out of the thread. I do think the thread could use a little more Corona centrism but my commitment to the beef makes me a bad advocate. Sorry Gav.

New Zealand closing quarantine-free flights with Oz for 8 weeks:

The country had already paused travel with the states of New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. The new pause applies to all of Australia for the next eight weeks.

On Friday, New South Wales reported a record-breaking 136 new infections and on Thursday premier Gladys Berejikilian warned that Covid case numbers will continue to rise in Sydney. South Australia, which is also in lockdown, recorded two new cases on Thursday.

Ardern said, “My strong message to every New Zealander who is in Australia right now, who has no intention of staying there long-term is: come home.”

New Zealand has not had a community-acquired case of Covid-19 since February

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...avel-bubble-as-sydneys-covid-outbreak-worsens

Such a different situation to the UK - vaccination rates are far lower for one thing - but also such a different approach. Not really sure what to make of it.

Clapton 1976,

“This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any Black w**s and c***s living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome."

Clapton ( with fellow furious pensioner Van Morrison)2020-
"Do you wanna be a free man / Or do you wanna be a slave? / Do you wanna wear these chains / Until you’re lying in the grave?"

…oh the illiteracy- “do you wanna be a slave?”
He's 76 and stopped touring in 2015, so I don't think he had many plans

Taking the day off to play video games with my (tempting fate) unnecessarily isolating son.

Hope he’s fine. kids don’t seem to be suffering much when they get it. My daughter had a sore throat for a day. The kids I work with who’ve had it have had a few purely days and then been fine.

Taking myself out of the thread. I do think the thread could use a little more Corona centrism but my commitment to the beef makes me a bad advocate. Sorry Gav.

I think you’ve been a very good advocate for the way many of us feel, particularly those who are of working age and with no independent means. I do think the attitude of many members of this group is coloured by their ability to sort out out with little impact on their financial status. I also wholly agree with you regarding iSage. They’re playing to the galleries. We’re all select the evidence that makes the point we want to make. At Christmas I was ticked off (probably rightly by the wonderful Gav) for quoting the MEN figures in my argument that pubs should reopen, and we should come out of tier 3/4 (can’t remember mow which it was). It entertains me now that the same figures are being used to support an argument.
I’m really glad Gav spends his time doing what he does, but I’m also very aware of which side of the fence he sits, because obviously he has good reason for that. As always you have to look at your sources, I’m not sure there is a wholly reliable source (is that even possible) and so we’re all fumbling around making the best of it.

In other words thanks Sean for pushing the middle ground, and I hope you don’t leave us on this thread. I’m sure I’m not the only one who values your input.

He's 76 and stopped touring in 2015, so I don't think he had many plans

Thank goodness! He (Clapton) should try keeping his mouth shut too; every time he opens it, he puts his foot in it. Such a shame that a talent is wasted on such an obnoxious human being.

I do think the attitude of many members of this group is coloured by their ability to sort out out with little impact on their financial status.

Agreed. And a useful reminder that much of any wider discussion online will be biased towards the folk that have the time and inclination to post online. It's not always a representative demographic.

I don't agree with everything Sean posts by a long shot, but he's certainly very media smart in a way that I'm not (@Seanm - am I right that you teach something in this field? Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick) and he's provided lots of food for thought which is very welcome.

I think a short break would be good for Sean - at his own suggestion. I'm very happy to hear what he he has to say but trolling my every post and forcing a reply because he doesn't agree with the message is just not on. Anyway he's apologised so all is good.

36 389 cases today, 64 deaths and 783 admissions. See Indie Sage briefing above for why case numbers seem to be falling so quickly but it's thought to be a mix of a few factors. Nevertheless a very good sign in Scotland is that both case numbers and hospitalisations are now falling, so that's what we're looking for in a week's time or so, more broadly.

Last edited:
Oh here we go!

Public Health England has confirmed that a new Coronavirus variant is under investigation in the UK.
Sixteen cases of the variant known as B.1.621 have been identified across the country, most of which have been linked to overseas travel, with no apparent community transmission.

So that's 14 mutations since the original L Strain.

You couldn't make it up! :(

Oh here we go!

Public Health England has confirmed that a new coronavirus variant is under investigation in the UK.
Sixteen cases of the variant known as B.1.621 have been identified across the country, most of which have been linked to overseas travel, with no apparent community transmission.

So that's 14 mutations since the oiginal L Strain.

Oh joy!:(

36 389 cases today, 64 deaths and 783 admissions. See Indie Sage briefing above for why case numbers seem to be falling so quickly but it's thought to be a mix of a few factors. Nevertheless a very good sign in Scotland is that both case numbers and hospitalisations are now falling, so that's what were looking for in a week's time or so more broadly.
Fingers crossed.

Oh here we go!

Public Health England has confirmed that a new Coronavirus variant is under investigation in the UK.

So that's 14 mutations since the original L Strain.

I think that variant has been around for some time, and is thought to originate in South America and not be as infectious as Delta

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...s-including-the-us-and-japan/?sh=8bc62543298d

"The public health body said there was no evidence to suggest the variant caused more severe illness or made vaccines less effective.

In a technical briefing, PHE said the variant was flagged during routine scanning based on possibly concerning mutations and its apparent international spread, including in the U.S. (592 cases), Portugal (56), Japan (47), Switzerland (41) and India (23).

The WHO says the first recorded case of B.1.621 was in Colombia in January."

Not good news, but ISTM that Delta is still public enemy #1

I think that variant has been around for some time, and is thought to originate in South America and not be as infectious as Delta

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...s-including-the-us-and-japan/?sh=8bc62543298d

"The public health body said there was no evidence to suggest the variant caused more severe illness or made vaccines less effective.

In a technical briefing, PHE said the variant was flagged during routine scanning based on possibly concerning mutations and its apparent international spread, including in the U.S. (592 cases), Portugal (56), Japan (47), Switzerland (41) and India (23).

The WHO says the first recorded case of B.1.621 was in Colombia in January."

Not good news, but ISTM that Delta is still public enemy #1

The important factor is any advantage against the current vaccines. When Delta dies down other, maybe less transmissible variants, could be advantaged. These just need to hang in there for now until the bully leaves

While Delta is Public Enemy Number 1, B.1.621 appears to have arisen in Columbia not S. Africa.

We don't yet know how infectious it is, owing to the current case rate being non-statistically (as yet) significant.

However, if PHE are flagging it up as a 'Variant of Interest', that sets my spidey senses running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back