advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they have, or at least in one of the press conferences recently Whitty or Van Dam talked about how schools closing is expected to effect the curve.

By the way, I think their claim in the past was that incidence among teaching staff reflected the incidence in their community . . . nuance . . . please . . .

You missed my point.

Cases down again, yet deaths and hospitalisations still rising. Boris still gambling that catching Covid making them live longer?

I think the football effect has played out now - there's been a levelling between m/f cases too. The next stage will be the interplay between school holidays and the on going collapse of mitigations.

I think the football effect has played out now - there's been a levelling between m/f cases too. The next stage will be the interplay between school holidays and the on going collapse of mitigations.

Why do you exclude the suggestion that increasing population resistance is limiting spread?

Good news: solid research demonstrating that the use of lateral flow tests to test contacts of infected pupils can cut absences:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57930214

Game changer for September, for which I’m personally very grateful (got the dreaded phone call from the school yesterday).

As has been pointed out, since there was no way to conduct a control, the conclusions could equally be that both interventions are highly effective or that both interventions have no value whatsoever.

How ironic - known injector of substances into body and known copyist of black musicians doesn't want either type at his shows.
Clapton 1976,

“This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any Black w**s and c***s living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome."

Clapton ( with fellow furious pensioner Van Morrison)2020-
"Do you wanna be a free man / Or do you wanna be a slave? / Do you wanna wear these chains / Until you’re lying in the grave?"

…oh the illiteracy- “do you wanna be a slave?”

As has been pointed out, since there was no way to conduct a control, the conclusions could equally be that both interventions are highly effective or that both interventions have no value whatsoever.
Thanks Gav but that’s a BS anti-masker line. You can revisit your position on lateral flow tests: it’s OK to admit you got carried away. It’s not all or nothing with these things.

Thanks Gav but that’s a BS anti-masker line. You can revisit your position on lateral flow tests: it’s OK to admit you got carried away. It’s not all or nothing with these things.

There are a whole raft of control measures in schools take those away and will LFTs be effective on their own? No. It also depends strongly I suspect on the prevailing case rate at the time the study was carried out because the fraction of those who isolate but later become positive isn't constant.

I’m with Gav on this one. Interesting observation but too many possible confounding factors for it to be close to definitive. To use the classic scientific phrase beloved of students ‘more and larger studies are required’.

There are a whole raft of control measures in schools take those away and will LFTs be effective on their own? No. It also depends strongly I suspect on the prevailing case rate at the time the study was carried out because the fraction of those who isolate but later become positive isn't constant.
Gav here's the preprint if you want to do your own peer review:

http://modmedmicro.nsms.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/dct_schools_trial_preprint_20210722.pdf

Note the discussion of limitations at the end. Science isn't all or nothing: it works through a process of accretion and testing of knowledge. And yes I know you are a scientist and yes I *am* trolling you but you must have forgotten this basic fact.

I note that yesterday you were very happy to accept as evidence of decline in immunity a Twitter thread from an Israeli journalist reporting on some small scale, speculative, internal government research with a couple of screenshots. And today you dismiss out of hand research conducted by the University of Oxford and presented in a preprint that very thoroughly describes the research design, findings and limitations.

I’m with Gav on this one. Interesting observation but too many possible confounding factors for it to be close to definitive. To use the classic scientific phrase beloved of students ‘more and larger studies are required’.
Yes exactly: more! But it's promising and provides more empirical evidence relating to the possible benefits of LFT.

Gav here's the preprint if you want to do your own peer review:

http://modmedmicro.nsms.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/dct_schools_trial_preprint_20210722.pdf

Note the discussion of limitations at the end. Science isn't all or nothing: it works through a process of accretion and testing of knowledge. And yes I know you are a scientist and yes I *am* trolling you but you must have forgotten this basic fact.

I note that yesterday you were very happy to accept as evidence of decline in immunity a Twitter thread from an Israeli journalist reporting on some small scale, speculative, internal government research with a couple of screenshots. And today you dismiss out of hand research conducted by the University of Oxford and presented in a preprint that very thoroughly describes the research design, findings and limitations.

I asked you yesterday to quite the trolling. My post at 7.03 am

Israel is possibly seeing evidence for waning of the Pfizer vaccine

I'm not sure how this can be interpreted, even by your good self, as 'very happy to accept as evidence'

I asked you yesterday to quite the trolling. My post at 7.03 am

Israel is possibly seeing evidence for waning of the Pfizer vaccine

I'm not sure how this can be interpreted, even by your good self, as 'very happy to accept as evidence'
"This, coupled with the evidence from Israel, suggests that if you had your 2 doses early on then the message has to be to very careful out there just now..."

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain-xix.256699/page-111#post-4423580

It's the way it works Gav: extremely speculative, low grade information is gradually promoted to evidence as the qualifying contextual stuff goes in the memory hole. Next thing you know, everyone knows Delta is more severe in kids, everyone knows immunity is waning, everyone knows lateral flow tests are garbage. And after that, it's Pizzagate, but for libs.

Anyway, I will stop "trolling" now. Taking the day off to play video games with my (tempting fate) unnecessarily isolating son.

"This, coupled with the evidence from Israel, suggests that if you had your 2 doses early on then the message has to be to very careful out there just now..."

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain-xix.256699/page-111#post-4423580

It's the way it works Gav: extremely speculative, low grade information is gradually promoted to evidence as the qualifying contextual stuff goes in the memory hole. Next thing you know, everyone knows Delta is more severe in kids, everyone knows immunity is waning, everyone knows lateral flow tests are garbage. And after that, it's Pizzagate, but for libs.

That was in response to you're not having read the thread - you asked for clarification. You are really polluting this thread and making my experience here unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back