advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Workers rights, wealth redistribution, the limits of policing - the short, medium and long term political issues on which the pandemic is actually going to turn, are a much tougher sell.

I’m no epidemiologist, but I suspect viruses are more driven by transmission, replication and mutation than the politics of Citizen Smith.

You might hope he and Van Morrison, having refused the evil vaccine will hold a gig for unvaccinated fans at a large, crowded indoor venue as a means of learning about the role of vaccines in protecting public health ( and I’m not entirely joking).
With any luck it may be just a small flight away for both of them to share a plane ride.
All together now..........
"A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music
Used to make me smile"

About 75/25% ish in favour of no mask at my local Tesco just now, I didn't think it would be as high as that. No staff wearing them either. I reckon this is well and truly done in the mind of most folk.

Cases seem to be steadily dropping in Scotland. Does anyone know why?

q00h0Tp.png

Schools have been closed for about a month. It's all good, it's what we can expect to see here I guess.

I’m no epidemiologist, but I suspect viruses are more driven by transmission, replication and mutation than the politics of Citizen Smith.

Don't confuse the virus with the epidemic.

The epidemic is the interaction of the virus with a society.

I thought it was the judean people's front ;)
Oh Gav, they’ve got you: you made a Judean People’s Front joke! Next you’ll be saying you just want the grown-ups back in charge, and accusing people of being Trumpian, and worrying about Putin. I knew iSage was a liberal gateway drug!

Anyway, here you both are, avid watchers of iSage’s YouTube channel, and the idea that epidemics take place in society, and track social inequalities, and that issues like sick pay, health care funding and workplace safety are key to how it all works, is a novel idea to you - laughable in fact. Good job iSage! A tribute to the power of Shadow Governance.

Schools have been closed for about a month. It's all good, it's what we can expect to see here I guess.

I don't think the Government has ever conceded that cases are driven by schools - we've always had the fairy tale of schools reflecting cases in broader society...

Classic Johnson, “the government will respond with its proposals for their pingdemic by 10pm tonight”. Behind events, leading from the back

I don't think the Government has ever conceded that cases are driven by schools - we've always had the fairy tale of schools reflecting cases in broader society...

Yes they have, or at least in one of the press conferences recently Whitty or Van Dam talked about how schools closing is expected to effect the curve.

By the way, I think their claim in the past was that incidence among teaching staff reflected the incidence in their community . . . nuance . . . please . . .

I don’t think anyone credible has ever claimed that schools don’t make a pretty solid contribution to R. There’s a lot of ground between “Has no effect” and “Key driver” but for some it’s all or nothing.

I don’t think anyone credible has ever claimed that schools don’t make a pretty solid contribution to R. There’s a lot of ground between “Has no effect” and “Key driver” but for some it’s all or nothing.
Oh, the irony!!

Anyway, here you both are, avid watchers of iSage’s YouTube channel, and the idea that epidemics take place in society, and track social inequalities, and that issues like sick pay, health care funding and workplace safety are key to how it all works, is a novel idea to you - laughable in fact. Good job iSage! A tribute to the power of Shadow Governance.

As I’ve said countless times I don’t deny any of those factors, and please remember I live right in the middle of this in one of the poorest and hardest hit areas of the country. Ok, I’m personally middle-class, comfortable, independent, and a bloody liberal, but I still see what is happening every time I open my front door.

I just find your continual conspiracy-theorising and hate-mongering the motives of i_Sage so utterly preposterous I can only really respond with piss taking. It’s all that is left.

PS There is a giant meteorite hurtling towards earth… Quick, call Jeremy Corbyn!

As I’ve said countless times I don’t deny any of those factors, and please remember I live right in the middle of this in one of the poorest and hardest hit areas of the country. Ok, I’m personally middle-class, comfortable, independent, and a bloody liberal, but I still see what is happening every time I open my front door.

I just find your continual conspiracy-theorising and hate-mongering the motives of i_Sage so utterly preposterous I can only really respond with piss taking. It’s all that is left.

PS There is a giant meteorite hurtling towards earth… Quick, call Jeremy Corbyn!
This doesn’t make a lick of sense.

We need @Debs to confirm this, but antibody levels falling over time is normal - otherwise the body would be wasting energy producing antibodies continuously after every little infection. What happens is that special ‘B’ cells (help @Debs !) retain the ability to produce the antibodies rapidly if they are required again. I wonder if the UCL study is being misread somewhere…..

Simplistically?

The Immune System divides into (effectively) 2 types of cell. Those that re-cirulate between the bloodstream and the lymphatic system, and those that do not re-circulate, but reside in the Lymph Nodes.

The latter are B Cells. It is these cells that produce anti-bodies. A given B Cell clone will produce a single anti-body type against a specific antigen.

It is quite normal for the anti-body titre in the blood to reduce over time - if there is no infection, there is no point in these cells producing anti-bodies. However, once you have produced a clonal B cell line, it remains ready to explode into, not only anti-body production, but also explode into clonal expansion (it's why you get inflamed and swollen lymph nodes upon an infection). This is one of the things that vaccines do - they influence the formation of clonal cell lines. And, indeed, we refer to these clonal lines as 'Memory B Cells'.

The re-circulating cells are T Cells. These are Immune cells that are processed in the Thymus (hence the name). Without going into it too deeply, you have Cytotoxic T Cells that recognise foreign antigens on host cells (ie infected cells) and kill them, as well as Th Cells (T Helper Cells) that find foreign antigens and 'present' them to the B Cells (thus enhancing B Cell response).

Certainly the Pfizer vaccine has been shown to elicit a good T Cell response over and above an anti-body response.

So it's not all about anti-bodies per sé.

Simplistically?

The Immune System divides into (effectively) 2 types of cell. Those that re-cirulate between the bloodstream and the lymphatic system, and those that do not re-circulate, but reside in the Lymph Nodes.

The latter are B Cells. It is these cells that produce antibodies. A given B Cell clone will produce a single anti-body type against a specific antigen.

It is quite normal for the anti-body titre in the blood to reduce over time - if there is no infection, there is no point in these cells producing anti-bodies. However, once you have produced a clonal B cell line, it remains ready to explode into, not only anti-body production, but also explode into clonal expansion. This is one of the things that vaccines do - they influence the formation of clonal cell lines. And, indeed, we refer to these clonal lines as 'Memory B Cells'.

The re-circulating cells are T Cells. These are Immune cells that are processed in the Thymus (hence the name). Without going into it too deeply, you have Cytotoxic T Cells that recognise foreign antigens on host cells (ie infected cells) and kill them, as well as Th Cells (T Helper Cells) that find foreign antigens and 'present' them to the B Cells (thus enhancing B Cell response).

So it's not all about anti-bodies per sé.

Thanks - simple enough even for a biochemist ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back