advertisement

On holiday in Blackpool

The sanctimony doesn't really work here, Jez. It really is like Viz in real life. And what's wrong with Viz?

I went into a souvenir shop to find my kids laughing out loud at this:

51322549121_0aea9015f0_b.jpg

It really is a spectacle, worthy of discussion and a laugh.

:D:D

LICK ME YOU BITCH seems to be in high demand. Not sure what to make of that.

I’m pretty sure sticks of rock only said ‘Blackpool’ (or other seaside location) back when I was a kid. As ever one can only admire market forces and capitalism as a concept when witnessing a once simple market becoming so tailored, complex and diverse.

In those gentler times I mentioned up thread and since we now seem to be majoring on sticks of rock, I remember coming across a job advert in the Gazette (Blackpool's evening paper).

It was posted by the Coronation Rock Company and read - "Rock, second hand wanted".

I submitted to the Boy's Own Paper and won a copy of the Boy's Own Companion autographed by editor Jack Cox, apparently now rare and valuable -

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...CjZ0bO3PLNetmRMlbAemlKdMZQnX0-vRoC9LsQAvD_BwE

and since this is a hifi forum, available at a discount if you buy it with vinyl!

I remember Coronation had an 'outlet shop' at the factory selling miss shapes and bags of broken rock. Judging by the variety of seaside resorts represented Blackpool was the centre of the rock industry:)

Jim

In those gentler times I mentioned up thread and since we now seem to be majoring on sticks of rock, I remember coming across a job advert in the Gazette (Blackpool's evening paper).

It was posted by the Coronation Rock Company and read - "Rock, second hand wanted".

I submitted to the Boy's Own Paper and won a copy of the Boy's Own Companion autographed by editor Jack Cox, apparently now rare and valuable -

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...CjZ0bO3PLNetmRMlbAemlKdMZQnX0-vRoC9LsQAvD_BwE

and since this is a hifi forum, available at a discount if you buy it with vinyl!

I remember Coronation had an 'outlet shop' at the factory selling miss shapes and bags of broken rock. Judging by the variety of seaside resorts represented Blackpool was the centre of the rock industry:)

Jim

That has got me thinking of those paper plates of English Breakfast completely made of rock, I'm sure they were a new novelty when I was last taken there.
Oh, and the giant baby's Dummies (Pacifiers for the non English) also made of rock.

It's definitely interesting to see how folks on here can abuse people so very easily with such heroic snobbery and then chuckle together like a group of public school boys...
What is the difference between laughing at what you see in Blackpool and laughing at Viz characters?

When I was a kid they were things like 'Keep death off the roads, drive on the pavement', 'have a break, have a kwik krap' etc on the teeshirts.
This one is in a lot of shops right now:

Work harder, those on benefits depend on you!

I’ve no hesitation in taking the piss out of anyone who I judge is able to take it. We’ve a few sensitive types at work, I don’t take the piss out of them. The rest? We all think there’s something wrong if nobody takes the piss.

Doing it on an internet forum is generally ok in my book. No direct line to the ‘victims’ and most on here who find themselves targeted seem well able to return a volley of shots.

I’m already receiving abuse about my hernia surgery today from the guys at work. The only downside is that laughing at their comments can be a little painful! The bastards.

Back in the day, I worked for Rediffusion TV before going to uni. They had a great training centre in Poulton le Fylde and I went there several times. They put us up in B&B accommodation in Blackpool and we had a ball!
After that, I got into TVR's and was a regular visitor to Bristol Avenue for a few years, often stopping in sea front hotels. The Trafalgar on the outskirts of Blackpool was TVR's canteen of choice. Picked up a new convertible from the factory one year and spent a few hours there with the guys. My first wife had to drive to us my parents in Hull as I was gone with the fairies, courtesy of Boddingtons finest.
I pass the old Rediffusion training centre every day on my way into work. My TVR Cerbera was also the most raw, exciting, beautiful car I've ever owned.
I once put someone up in a seafront hotel and after I took her to dinner we returned to the hotel to find an 'Elvis' night in full swing. My date was initially very nervous and slightly sneering. We ended up staying unit 1am and having a whale of a time. Gosh, the guy in the glittery costume could sing. He was a damn fine entertainer.......
You have to catch the vibe in Blackpool. Its a tawdry old place and we have our fair share of problems ... but there is still fun to be had and visitors are an important source of income for a poor town.

We held our professional conferences at the Norbreck Castle hotel, in North Blackpool, for several years. I guess because it was cheap, because it sure were a very “Strange” place! Mind you, the staff were always great & the food, as far as any mass-catering conference food can ever be, was pretty good too.

I took the opportunity whilst there to visit the TVR factory & see my Griffith 500 being built. As it happened, it had already been dispatched to the dealer, so I expected a swift half-an-hour zoom round, but I ended up being there for a couple of hours. A great bunch of lads, so sorry to see TVR go the way it did.

Last time I went to Blackpool was for a round table weekend away with the saturday night "high spot" a Vicars and Tarts party in the Tower Ballroom. I vividly remember the god awful bed and breakfast with a bed so knackered and sunk in the middle, (thin mattress on a wire frame) that an Ice axe would have helped to climb out of it.

advertisement

Back