advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing sums up this mindless project more graphically.

Sign an international agreement necessary only because of an absurd insistence on abandoning a seamless trading system which had worked fine for over forty years. Sell it's destruction as a massive achievement. Then pretend the clearly stated consequences are a surprise and blame the other side for over-zealous insistence on rules and regs, to which you agreed and in many cases, actually wrote.

Announce that you will abandon the agreement unilaterally because it doesn't suit you. Then wonder why said partner will not trust a word you say.

Yebbut the EU are wrong if they don't give Frosty what he wants for his boss. The UK had a referendum that changes the rules so it is the EU's fault.
Have to same taking this approach is so much easier. I would just have to type one line over and over again :rolleyes:

If one were inclined to offload an area that was troublesome in terms of being economically disadvantaged and politically 'difficult' - might be a good time to start the process.

I imagine a great many people may well be thinking this. There is a lot of financial support goes from the UK 'pot' to keep NI going. Hasn't Ireland recently indicated it can't 'afford' to take NI on?

I wonder what the result of a referendum in the six counties would be?

Regards

Richard

Well, this is pfm and the gang decided a long time ago the EU can do no wrong.
EU intransigence, EU red lines, both acceptable here. Brilliant how suggesting and hoping the EU will negotiate is supporting brexit, is supporting the tories and is blaming the EU for everything despite making it clear that’s not the case.

It’s likely we’ll see in the coming weeks confirmation the EU doesn’t give a damn about N.Ireland and is really about punishing the UK for its population daring to vote leave in a democratic referendum. No respect is the bottom line.

Let's say that the goods can cross into NI from the mainland without any checks whatsoever.

How, then, do the parties ensure that said goods do not cross into the EU?

Since to do so, with the UK having left the single market, they would need to be checked.

Only three ways out of this: BINO, abandoning NI, or a change of government in the UK.

From the FT in relation to the US's view on matters NIP/GFA:

"Johnson, insiders say, is unconcerned. He has Churchillian pretensions. During his spell as foreign secretary a few years ago, diplomats reported he would spend time in front of the mirror mimicking the wartime leader’s mannerisms. He is not about to be pushed around by Biden".

PS Wasn't aware Morrisons shoppers were so pro Boris/Tory.

This is sounding suspiciously like removing the compulsion for mask wearing and saying “I’m sure people will use their common sense”. Like carousel vat fraud, it’s a recipe for abuse. The EU is expected to take Johnson at his word over the integrity of a border with them, really?

Glorious Global Brexitannia.

Blockchain, innit. Technology, see. Sorted.
Boris wants the other party to take him at his word and signed agreement, which as history has shown is foolhardy. Taking him at his word on delivering previously unknown technology could be considered madness.

I mean what would he do, phone up his favourite techpreneur and ask her to bang out something on the kitchen table?

Boris wants the other party to take him at his word and signed agreement which as history has shown is foolhardy. Taking him at his word on delivering previously unknown technology could be considered madness.

I mean what would he do, phone up his favourite techpreneur and ask her to bang out something on the kitchen table?
Dido’s probably got one oven-ready.

Let's say that the goods can cross into NI from the mainland without any checks whatsoever.

How, then, do the parties ensure that said goods do not cross into the EU?

Since to do so, with the UK having left the single market, they would need to be checked.
What of course gets lost in all of this is that if Britain had simply agreed like many other third party countries with the EU, to align their food and environmental standards, none of this would happen. The great British sausage could have gone into Ulster without friction for ever.
The British tabloids are going full Munich- Chamberlain on it,
BREXIT minister Lord David Frost has issued a final ultimatum to the EU, warning Brussels to "think carefully" over his fresh proposal.

There's nothing fresh about the EU's response, apart from 'computer says no'.

Archie Norman of M&S described the bureaucracy involved in moving goods to NI as 'Kafkaesque', and spoke of 6 hour delays while vets tick off SPS forms, lorries being turned back because the ink was blue rather than black, or a stamp being placed imprecisely on a form. We shouldn't be surprised that the gratte papiers at the Commission have no sense of self awareness, but you'd expect a little more from the Irish minister on the BBC yesterday who kept patronisingly parroting that the EU had been gracious, benevolent and generous whilst simultaneously aggressively demanding that the protocol would have to be obeyed to the letter.

I'm still trying to get my head around the crackpot irony of vets having to inspect consignments of sandwiches. Can someone not tell the EU that by the time the ham is in the sandwich there's really nothing that the vet can do for the pig? The EU is so exposed as a bureaucratic sham by this never-ending absurdity that it simply plays into not only into the hands of its critics, but surely of its erstwhile supporters too?

What of course gets lost in all of this is that if Britain had simply agreed like many other third party countries with the EU, to align their food and environmental standards, none of this would happen. The great British sausage could have gone into Ulster without friction for ever.

The problem is that the EU will not consider 'mutual recognition' of each other's standards, demanding with its now standard imperialist zeal that the UK (and all those other countries) submit to ECJ oversight. This is all the more absurd in the case of the UK because the UK's standards are already the same as, or better, than the EU's.

EV,
Same proposal, same response. No need for any fresh thinking.

BoJo said at the time of signature that it was a "Great Deal for NI". Could he have been lying about that, was he just ignorant of what he had signed the UK up to, or has his secret plan been, all along, to keep the UK aligned with food regulations in the EU, the way it still is now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back