advertisement

Neumann KH310

I was using the stands from my previous speakers since I quite liked them (B&W FS700/CM), I actually still have the stands stored for future use if needed.I had to make a wider custom top plate for the stands, which was then secured to the actual top plate of the stands, and then the Neumanns were placed on top with some adhesive/rubber acting as (1) isolation and (2) securing the grip between the speakers and the stand.

Personally, I would be careful with choosing the appropriate stand , and I'm mostly saying this because in my case, in order to have the tweeter/midrange driver at ear height, the Neumanns were quite higher from the ground, which pushes the center of gravity also higher and there was a risk of an accident if a smaller child bumps into the stand.Now I can't say that this applies for your domestic case, but for me it was a potential issue and worth thinking about.

If I would have "regular" stands again, I think I would go with a custom made wide stand with 4 pillars or similar, to reduce or eliminate the possibility of tipping over.

And just for fun, since a picture is worth a thousand words :)

8EpTiMy.jpg

Really appreciate your insights Igor, especially as the photo above is weirdly similar how our lounge looks right now, foam tiles included!

I'll see if I can borrow something appropriate for the home dem.

I will recommend that you stay away from the kh310 at all cost.

I've lived with kh120 for a few months and never got along with them. Great bass for the size but voices that came out of that thing.. My goodness.. As dry and sanitised as it gets. I don't know how it can suck all emotions out of voices.

I've asked if upgrading to kh310 will help but was told by many it is just more of the same dry sound.

Now, I love my atc and found them to be the most balanced speakers. If you like ATC for the mid range like I do, I really recommend that you at least audition the kh310 first. Specifically, listen to voices.

Either get the 19 passive, which I assume you do not want because you wanna try something new, or the Falcon 100 or something along that line.

Active speakers wise, the quested v2108 is great. Quested are known to have that magical mid range, though I think they fall a lil short of atc

@jagdesign I recently went to FunkyJunk to hear some Adam Audio S3Vs. I also heard the KH310s, PMC (two two or something ) and ATC SCM25s. I also had access to the soffit mounted 150as so had a quick blast of those too :)

Long story, I gravitated to the 25s. None I think are ‘bad’ just different, to me. All I could live with once you adjust to the presentation. Perhaps the familiarity of ATC won me over. The Adams sadly were playing up which was due to some room set up so I could not fairly conclude on them.

I am re thinking my set up (100ASLs plus centre and sub etc.) for domestic reasons. It’s still on going, that is the re think!

@yunie_ good job I’m home demoing them! The SCM19As midrange with the SL driver is pretty special and I won’t be taking the decision to change lightly. If the Neumann’s sound crap, a cage or endless rolls of bubble wrap can be implemented.

@Alastair sounds like the consensus is that it will be difficult to move on from the ATC house sound, but I am looking forward to hearing the additional bass reach over the 19s. We shall see

@yunie_ good job I’m home demoing them! The SCM19As midrange with the SL driver is pretty special and I won’t be taking the decision to change lightly. If the Neumann’s sound crap, a cage or endless rolls of bubble wrap can be implemented.

@Alastair sounds like the consensus is that it will be difficult to move on from the ATC house sound, but I am looking forward to hearing the additional bass reach over the 19s. We shall see
Will be interested to hear what you think of them.

There’s a good thread here on Gearspace about 310s, 25As, 20s etc.

https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/1351342-upgrading-monitors-neumann-atc.html

There’s a good thread here on Gearspace about 310s, 25As, 20s etc.

https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/1351342-upgrading-monitors-neumann-atc.html

Thanks for that - I've skimmed through, and again, seems to be that the ATC's are seemingly better to some overall, but the Neumann's offer great value by comparison.

High praise for the 310's on ASR.

Yep, I've read that one too now! I'd be surprised if I don't like them, but perhaps they will just miss some of the ATC's magic, will find out soon enough!

advertisement

Back