advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

By the way an extraordinary combination, for "Philosophy", Planning, Execution, and search for the Holy Grail of musicality
Know exactly what you mean... Densen dm20/Tonwshend Allegri and Densen dm30 here.

Reactions: oso
Have anyone compared Stirling v3 with p3esr 40th or xd, or even the new Rogers classic?

I've been tempted to get a new ls3/5a but not sure which to get. P3esr xd seems to be the best choice as its cheaper than rogers, and have better resale value than Stirling.

To ( sort of ) revive this thread, I was recently in touch with Doug Stirling re. amplifiers.
He recommended the Marantz PM6004 to use with the V3s.
Fortunately one became available via PFM, so I took a chance.

The Quad 34/303 was good.
The Arcam Delta 60 was excellent.
The PM6004 is superb !

More detail, a bigger soundstage and slightly better definition in the bass.
The extra detail doesn’t come with extra brightness, which can sometimes be the case.

I haven’t yet tried the Marantz with my Spendor BC1s.
I’ve got that to look forward to...

To revive this thread I thought I’d share my findings using a different amplifier with the V3s.
A Naim Nait 2 became available on PFM, so I took a chance and bought it.

I thought the Marantz was good ( it certainly is...) but this little Naim has made the Stirlings perform even better.
I’m currently listening to CDs I thought I knew well.
Mary Black has now ‘come to life’ through the V3s.

To revive this thread I thought I’d share my findings using a different amplifier with the V3s.
A Naim Nait 2 became available on PFM, so I took a chance and bought it.
I read Martyn's note and the earth just seemed to become a little flatter.....dammit, I thought I was done chasing after collectible vintage amps for my V3s.

Remember that there is a world of amplifiers out there to explore beyond the likes of the 303, 306, A60, Nait 2, etc. I know it's never going to happen but it would be very interesting to see Martin's reaction to hearing his V3s on the end of a big Luxman or Accuphase! ;)

since I cannot think of any better small speakers around, and having noticed Martyn is looking to change just the colour, may be we could organise a V3 club to rotate our speakers for a bit of veneer variety?:) And who knows - try more amps? Although that said, I am really enjoying mine with a pair of TP monoblocks, I think they manage to bring the best out of them with little effort.

I’m pleased that I’ve stimulated some discussion on amplifiers for the V3s.
( And other speakers, of course...)

I have had an interesting ( some might say chequered ) history of amplifier ownership.
Fortunately I settled on the right ( for me ) amplifier to drive my BC1s.
I’ve stuck with it...

With LS3/5as ( and their close cousins ) various amps. have performed well.
Happy memories persist of the Quad 34/303 & two Arcam amplifiers.
At the present moment the little Nait 2 is performing beyond my expectations.

Happy memories persist of the Quad 34/303 & two Arcam amplifiers.
I've had happy memories with just about any amp I've hooked up to these speakers. Probably the 'Best' in terms of high fidelity parameters, has been the class D PS Audio S300. However, they are currently hooked up to a properly restored Quad 405-2 with passive pot, and sounding good enough that I can't be bothered to put something else in place.

Using a 34/303 with the Falcons right now and also had a Sugden A21aP, but 10 years ago I had the Stirling V2. Tried a few high-end (or just high-priced?) amps with them back then: Leben CS660P with Russian NOS valves (plus the Leben preamp), Nagra VPA monos with 50W class A, zero feedback, push-pull 845 output valves; plus a trusty Quad 306 and Nagra MSA mosfet power amp. Just as happy with the 34/303 tbh. I’d still like to have a Sugden A21a integrated for occasional use though.

I've had happy memories with just about any amp I've hooked up to these speakers. Probably the 'Best' in terms of high fidelity parameters, has been the class D PS Audio S300. However, they are currently hooked up to a properly restored Quad 405-2 with passive pot, and sounding good enough that I can't be bothered to put something else in place.

Oh, gosh.
I’ve just remembered there’s a 303 in the spare bedroom.
With a passive preamp still in its box...

Ar
Using a 34/303 with the Falcons right now and also had a Sugden A21aP, but 10 years ago I had the Stirling V2. Tried a few high-end (or just high-priced?) amps with them back then: Leben CS660P with Russian NOS valves (plus the Leben preamp), Nagra VPA monos with 50W class A, zero feedback, push-pull 845 output valves; plus a trusty Quad 306 and Nagra MSA mosfet power amp. Just as happy with the 34/303 tbh. I’d still like to have a Sugden A21a integrated for occasional use though.
Are you going to change your surname to Quadboy then ?
On a more serious note, I too prefer the simple design amps to the highly sophisticated ones, they seem to be more musical, organic, natural although not always perfectly neutral. My two cents.

At the present moment the little Nait 2 is performing beyond my expectations.

I find this is usually the case…

PoFoLEL.jpg

(The Nait2 at the bottom is mine. The Nait 1 was mine and the other Nait2 were bought by a lucky fellow).

My Nait2 feeds some Spendor Classic 4/5s.

What is the collective noun for Nait amplifiers ?
( I won’t accept ‘Naits’, as this is a serious Audio Discussion Forum. So I am told...)

Hi Martyn

Is yours the Olive variety? They are rather good aren’t they. Simple little boxes that just let the music flow.

I am also a fan of the ARCAM Delta 60, so much so that I bought one for each of my daughters (silly money sub £100 each). They can fight over the CB Nait2 when I’m gone….

Hi Martyn

Is yours the Olive variety? They are rather good aren’t they. Simple little boxes that just let the music flow.

I am also a fan of the ARCAM Delta 60, so much so that I bought one for each of my daughters (silly money sub £100 each). They can fight over the CB Nait2 when I’m gone….

Mine is an olive ‘2. I prefer the look of it over the ‘chrome bumper’ ( ?! ) models.
You’re right about the Arcam Delta 60.
It brought my Harbeth P3s to life and was an improvement over the Quad 34/303 with the V3s.

What?! I’ve had 2 Olives and about 5 CBs. I just don’t like the little knobs in the middle of the Olive and those tractor wheels on the CB just look so right….

advertisement

Back