advertisement

On holiday in Blackpool

Don’t flatter yourself too much. There’s nothing particularly unique about a Brexiter looking down at hoi polloi.
Nice choice of words. Particularly when mostly you whiff of seeing brexiteers as a certain breed of underclass.

And you think what I see here represents the masses. It does not. If it were the norm, it would not be a surprise. Maybe you think this is typical behaviour of the masses. But I do not.

I've been exactly twice. The first time was a day trip to the Pleasure Beach in the late 90s and I absolutely loved it. I became a roller-coaster aficionado after that.
The second time was barely 8 years later when I persuaded my other half and best friend to spend an evening there. We'd driven down from Kendal where we were staying and intended to see it in its summer glory, have chips etc. We were met with an empty town with desperate attractions calling out to us to go in, then shouting homophobic abuse when we ignored them. It wasn't pretty. I haven't been back since although I have no doubt whatsoever that there are excellent cafes, towns, beaches, scenery and walking nearby, it's kind of put us off going back to the area again.

Don’t flatter yourself too much. There’s nothing particularly unique about a Brexiter looking down at hoi polloi.
If you really want to look down on the hoi polloi then you have to stay at The Midland Hotel in Morecambe :)

Has anyone here stayed at the Norbreck Castle hotel in Blackpool?

While I was on my 3 month course with BAe in 1991, some of the guys on other courses stayed there. It was awful. Some of the rooms actually let the rain in through poorly fitting windows, food was terrible, staff just weird, and it was a long walk to the delights of the town centre. I think most only lasted one or two nights there before asking BAe for a move. It was nicknamed Castle Grey Skull.

Norbreck Castle was THE place to stay in the Blackpool of my youth. We never did. Couldn't afford it. When the decline started in Blackpool, the Norbreck Castle seemed to fall harder and faster than many places. I imagine its comfortably off clientele just stopped going to Blackpool.

Has anyone here stayed at the Norbreck Castle hotel in Blackpool?

While I was on my 3 month course with BAe in 1991, some of the guys on other courses stayed there. It was awful. Some of the rooms actually let the rain in through poorly fitting windows, food was terrible, staff just weird, and it was a long walk to the delights of the town centre. I think most only lasted one or two nights there before asking BAe for a move. It was nicknamed Castle Grey Skull.

Yes. Back in 2003. Had been decorated and less leaky but still God's Waiting Room.

I used to go to Blackpool occasionally as a kid and my impression of it then was that it was tacky but fun. I've only been once as an adult though (taking my kids to see the illuminations etc.) and the place did seem awash with hen and stag parties, although my kids did still enjoy the visit. That was maybe 15-20 years ago though, and I can't imagine we'll ever be back now the kids are grown up.

In terms of health wellbeing, all our Northern costal resorts have been in decline since the 1960's. What is happening now is that there are lots of people with long term health issues are migrating to live in them, most of the people are on benefits and they take up a larger proportion of NHS resources than in cities.

I went to a conference at Blackpool about 10 years to discuss workplace health being initiatives and heard about what being piloted there, it was grim and I suspect it is even worse.

There are some interesting things about some of resorts, I think Bridlington (which is a place I have a soft spot for) still holds the record for the highest numbers of mobility scooters per population in the UK......

Norbreck Castle

this might tell you something about what people think today

image.png

I was born and grew up in Blackpool, only left when married in 1972 and of course have never been there for a holiday.

It was an OK place to live in those days though we stayed well away from the bright lights during wakes weeks and the Glasgow Fair / September weekend!

I live about 40minutes away now and during winter it's invigorating to walk the promenade providing you can stay on your feet:)

Jim

I live about 40minutes away now and during winter it's invigorating to walk the promenade providing you can stay on your feet:)

I think the last time I visited my parents in Blackpool was winter 2005. We drove to the far end of town near Stargate, and went for a walk in the sunshine.

Well, I say walk. The sunshine fooled us. It was -5°c and blowing a gale. We managed about two minutes and shuffled back to the car. Oh that warm air felt good!

Nice choice of words. Particularly when mostly you whiff of seeing brexiteers as a certain breed of underclass.

And you think what I see here represents the masses. It does not. If it were the norm, it would not be a surprise. Maybe you think this is typical behaviour of the masses. But I do not.
In terms of sneering condescension, your posts on page 1 seem hard to beat. Have you considered giving online classes?

The ideas you assign to me are amusing, but quite wrong. I have relatives and some dear friends that voted Leave. Some of them are quite wealthy (Telegraph readers usually), some are well into their 80s and 90s including one lovely lady who finds the Telegraph a bit wet and centrist, etc. We just talk about other subjects. And part of my family is/was from that part of Lancashire, including my grandmother, who used to run a boarding house a bit further south (Southport), so I know that part of the world a bit and it's not the caricature you provided for our delectation.

In terms of sneering condescension, your posts on page 1 seem hard to beat. Have you considered giving online classes?

The ideas you assign to me are amusing, but quite wrong. I have relatives and some dear friends that voted Leave. Some of them are quite wealthy (Telegraph readers usually), some are well into their 80s and 90s including one lovely lady who finds the Telegraph a bit wet and centrist, etc. We just talk about other subjects. And part of my family is/was from that part of Lancashire, including my grandmother, who used to run a boarding house a bit further south (Southport), so I know that part of the world a bit and it's not the caricature you provided for our delectation.
What's all that go to do with what goes in in central Blackpool?

If you want a really beautiful British costal town, Tenby is absolutely gorgeous, much more up my street.

We went to Abersoch in the 60's then mum was told about Tenby , we camped/caravanned '68-'72 , magical place , the big powered "rowing boat" that took you over to Caldy Island to see the Monastry and Monks was not to be missed as was the coastal evening tour on the Tenby Queen.
Bought my copy of "Tommy" in Tenby , happy days .

I grew up there like Jim above but left in the early 90's. The town centre was going downhill by then but even now I think there are some nice areas, just none that anyone going for a holiday will see!

I think there were worse places to live in the 80's, and out of season, town was good for nights out. I rarely visit these days as not much family left there, went to see Joe Bonamassa there a few years ago and the best place we found for a drink afterwards was Wetherspoons, I think that says it all!

I have to smile when I hear people on the thread complimenting Fleetwood and Morecambe as when I was younger, they were not great at all. Fleetwood suffering from a dying fishing industry and Morecambe no visitors at all. Morecambe is probably a sign that there is at least some hope for Blackpool!

I don't know which record shop Tony is thinking of but I bought loads of great Records from Sinfonia on Cookson St. Sandy who owned it was a huge music buff and had way more records at home then he did in the shop!

I had relatives who lived in Lytham St Annes so we went to Blackpool several times as kids. The only time I went willingly was to a New Order and Section 25 gig at The Venue in August 1982. I have n recollection of what SXXV were like but enjoyed the New Order set immensely. Getting out of town afterwards was a bit exciting but we made it in one piece.

If we needed any reasons for brexit and why guardianista type Labour are finished in "red wall" areas then this unpleasant thread says it all! pfm's Gillian Duffy moment....
The sanctimony doesn't really work here, Jez. It really is like Viz in real life. And what's wrong with Viz?

I went into a souvenir shop to find my kids laughing out loud at this:

51322549121_0aea9015f0_b.jpg

It really is a spectacle, worthy of discussion and a laugh.

advertisement

Back