advertisement

Which musicians have lived on your street ?

I don't think any musicians have lived on my current little street, however the house I've had an offer accepted on used to be owned by Pye Hastings from Caravan, and still has a garden room that he used to use as a studio.

Nice link to Dave and Barbara (post above), who were contemporaries of Pye in the Canterbury Scene.

Roland Gift lived down our street in Hull some years ago at the height of his success, and could often be seen in the Polar Bear pub. His mum ran a vintage shop around the corner.

One of our dogs hated him and would get excitable every time we passed him, and we pretty much ignored him, as we imagined he'd appreciate being left alone. We probably overdid it and just looked ignorant, upon reflection.

Nice link to Dave and Barbara (post above), who were contemporaries of Pye in the Canterbury Scene.

Turns out that not only did my little house in the Cairngorms used to be owned by Pye Hastings but he wrote and recorded his solo album "From the Half House" there - and the "Half House" referred to in the title is part of the house (we think it's the bit that used to be the barn but is now the living room). So my house has an album named after it - which is nice.

Not that I've actually heard the album yet - but I do have it on order and Pye Hastings has even offered to sign it!

The recording studio is now being used as my home office.

Not the current “street” (though we did buy our current house from the Shirley Valentine).

We previously lived on a small cul-de-sac off Burton Road in West Didsbury, Manchester. If you want to know what the sitting room of my house looked like you’d see a very close copy on the cover of Oasis’s album Definitely Maybe….(Bonehead lived on Stratford Avenue - we lived in one of the avenues parallel with it).

Paul Heaton (who I know of from The Beautiful South, though obvs ex Housemartins for you older lot) lived up the road - used to howl at the moon quite often apparently.

Being one of the trendier parts of South Manchester - ok, not Chorlton (see above!) - there were bound to have been many more, both in my time and before and after.

(Separately, my late uncle used to share a flat with Rolling Stone Brian Jones. Indeed he knew all of them, along with Pink Floyd and many others as he was a roadie for The Pretty Things. I’m in my 40s so that’s all a bit meaningless to me really.)

We had various members of Norn Iron flute-bands living on our street over the years.
Not entirely sure if that qualifies on the musician front though..

Lol, a bit of a stretch to call RFB musicians, though Mudd Walace was a talented guitarist and producer.

When I lived in London the bass player from Wham lived across the street and when I lived outside Dungiven Cara Dillon lived on the same road.

I'll match your Paul Paul Heaton - I was in Hull from 1988 - 1997. I grew up in Burnage, Manchester; my mum informed me Peter Noone used to live across the road in the early 60s. Much better than that, however, I lived around the corner from someone from Crispy Ambulance; I used to hear them practising in the cellar of a house at the bottom of Milwain Road.

I lived for a couple of years at Stanley Road, Woking. Big fan of Paul Weller since before that, so a happy coincidence.

Can’t compete with some of the well known names mentioned on here.

My neighbours lad gave up a goalkeeping apprenticeship with Burton Albion, and 5 years later is now teaching guitar, mainly bass. He’s in a band - I don’t know their name - but he’s got real talent.

All three of my neighbours have commented on my piano playing, over the years. They have said it’s quiet enough they can only just hear it when sat outside - phew - but have very kindly commented on how it’s improved:)

I think a member of B-Movie lived on my street for a bit.
He was older than me and looked very cool (I thought) when I was young.
They all lived somewhere near or in my town.

My old street had David Tibet (pah) and Sarah Jane Morris living on it when I was there. Fiona Pitt-Kethley lived next door and Paula Yates had a house 2 doors up the street.

Lol, a bit of a stretch to call RFB musicians, though Mudd Walace was a talented guitarist and producer.

When I lived in London the bass player from Wham lived across the street and when I lived outside Dungiven Cara Dillon lived on the same road.

Mudd went to the same school as I did - but was about 4/5 years older. Used to go drinking in company with him the odd time, and occasionally end up in the Studio afterwards for a slightly more 'extended' session. Very funny guy.

My favourite story about our man is the possibly apocryphal one about the inexperienced bass-player towards the end of a protracted recording session asking the grizzled perfectionist which pickup he should use. In typical Mudd fashion the response came back like a shot - "Just use whatever f**kin' one keeps the time son.."

Mudd went to the same school as I did - but was about 4/5 years older. Used to go drinking in company with him the odd time, and occasionally end up in the Studio afterwards for a slightly more 'extended' session. Very funny guy.

My favourite story about our man is the possibly apocryphal one about the inexperienced bass-player towards the end of a protracted recording session asking the grizzled perfectionist which pickup he should use. In typical Mudd fashion the response came back like a shot - "Just use whatever f**kin' one keeps the time son.."

I can't say I knew him very well though I ended up at a party one night in the studio after an Illegals gig, Mudds girl was a friend of mine from school.
It's all gone now, Mudd passed away, the studio was knocked down and some apartments built, the bakery at the top of the town is long gone too.

I can't say I knew him very well though I ended up at a party one night in the studio after an Illegals gig, Mudds girl was a friend of mine from school.
It's all gone now, Mudd passed away, the studio was knocked down and some apartments built, the bakery at the top of the town is long gone too.

Small world - hey :)

I was in the same class throughout my secondary school as Ian Wilson of Sad Cafe and Roy Harper lived a stone’s throw away from our house in Rusholme.

Not the epitome of debauched rock'n'roll anecdotes but I lived next door to pre-fame Clare Teal in leafy North Yorkshire.

I was in the same class throughout my secondary school as Ian Wilson of Sad Cafe and Roy Harper lived a stone’s throw away from our house in Rusholme.

Did you ever ask Ian Wilson whether EveryDay Hurts?

Still have that classic song on single somewhere.

Roland Gift lived down our street in Hull some years ago at the height of his success, and could often be seen in the Polar Bear pub. His mum ran a vintage shop around the corner.

One of our dogs hated him and would get excitable every time we passed him, and we pretty much ignored him, as we imagined he'd appreciate being left alone. We probably overdid it and just looked ignorant, upon reflection.

Which street was that @andrew? I grew up in Duesbery Street and my mum, known colloquially to the local kids as 'SuperGran', had some hilarious conversations with Roland Gift.

advertisement

Back