advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a lot of EEC/EU-sponsored infrastructure projects across the UK too, but the Governments chose not to advertise them, unlike those of other EU members. Maybe Britain was never really in to begin with, at least not Tory England...

What has the EU done for your area?
The EU invests around £5 billion a year in the UK.

https://www.myeu.uk
Hahaha

I was on about this even before the referendum and have mentioned it since as a massive failure of the remain campaign. Got shouted down here, obviously. :) It’s all to do with thick, (English) racists and nothing else.

Or there are many people who prefer populist bluster or blaming others than informing themselves. That is not a failure of a campaign, that is a choice people are making for themselves not to understand what's involved. `All the information was there and has never been more accessible.

Or there are many people who prefer populist bluster or blaming others than informing themselves. That is not a failure of the anyone's campaign, that is a choice people are making.
Now that really is genuine nonsense and a great example of why there is no real discussion here on this topic.

Why on earth do you think there is a campaign on anything? How many times have you complained about the leave campaign? Next you’ll be claiming advertising doesn’t matter. :rolleyes:

The remain campaign was a massive failure. After nearly half a century of membership the positives should have been an easy sell to the voters. Highlighting EU projects around the UK was an obvious thing to do but it didn’t happen, unless that was just around here.

Now that really is genuine nonsense and a great example of why there is no real discussion here on this topic.

Why on earth do you think there is a campaign on anything? How many times have you complained about the leave campaign? Next you’ll be claiming advertising doesn’t matter. :rolleyes:

The remain campaign was a massive failure. After nearly half a century of membership the positives should have been an easy sell to the voters. Highlighting EU projects around the UK was an obvious thing to do but it didn’t happen, unless that was just around here.

I should have known better. Informing yourself is your responsibility, if you prefer to believe a campaign than look any further it's a choice you make. Everything is always someone else's fault, never yours.

Yes as per a lot of your views I would be in full agreement with that. The UK should have continued membership adopting that logic. But alas the spiv rich want to never pay taxes so exit was a priority. The great unwashed were rounded up and indoctrinated to vote to ensure that remained the status quo.
Just be thankful that the ROI has all these wonderful EU benefits.

I should have known better. Informing yourself is your responsibility, if you prefer to believe a campaign than look any further it's a choice you make. Everything is always someone else's fault, never yours.
Personally, I didn’t believe much from either campaign.

Fact is, the remain campaign was an abject failure whereas the leave campaign was a success. Campaigns matter, it’s why they are a thing and why loads of money is thrown at them. How naive you are.

Another Brexit positive but not for the UK. Japanese car dealers are making some more sales now as a result of Brexit.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0720/1236230-import-cars-brexit/

Seen enough interviews, radio programmes and house of commons speeches throughout the whole Brexit shxtshow and the remain side gave the message alright. You can argue the toss on whether it could have been better and maybe that might have made a difference. But when you see interviews like that bloke in the pub above, no amount of logic was changing his mind. I can't say for absolute certain but the stats and results suggest areas that would have characters who think like that came out on the Brexit side. Ditto for the ERG Tories and rogue Labour MP's. Sure the behaviour of the same people throughout the pandemic suggests they are beyond normal reasoning.

There were a lot of EEC/EU-sponsored infrastructure projects across the UK too, but the Governments chose not to advertise them, unlike those of other EU members. Maybe Britain was never really in to begin with, at least not Tory England...

What has the EU done for your area?
The EU invests around £5 billion a year in the UK.

https://www.myeu.uk

Of the £14bn odd that the UK contributed to the EU coffers each year, £5bn odd came back in 'EU funds'. Across the board the ecologically devastating CAP accounts for about 40% of the entire EU budget, (whilst agriculture contributes less than 2% of GDP). Of that 40%, some 80% goes to the 20% of largest farms. That means some very rich landowners, for example James Dyson, Paul Dacre and Lord Rothermere, making many Brexiteers in chief as having been amongst the greatest beneficiaries of 'EU funds'.

More Alanis than Joni, on balance.

But to be fair, we do need to eat, rather than dry our hands in a noisy way or read the DM
Yes, we do.

I was in a Morrison’s yesterday as it sells the type of additional stuff for our dog over what is delivered. I didn’t notice any empty shelves though I did notice there were no mince and onion pies nor scotch pies among the hordes of other stuff on the pie/pasty/sausage roll counter. I think it was the time of day. I bought peppers and toms :cool: since they aren’t ready yet in the garden, fresh sardines, heart, liver, kidney, trotters and marrowbones for the dog. Grabbed some lovely double cream for the strawberries, blueberries, apple etc....I won’t go again for a month due to tory policy on corona.

What food is not available due to brexit and in which part(s) of the UK?

Last edited:
Of course the campaigns were important but the debate had raged since our proposed membership in the 50s so the arguments had been well rehearsed and lots of folks had already made up their minds.

It is worth noting that the world has not ended since we left.

Of course the campaigns were important but the debate had raged since our proposed membership in the 50s so the arguments had been well rehearsed and lots of folks had already made up their minds.

It is worth noting that the world has not ended since we left.

You're talking tom-tit, of course. There was absolutely no discussion or dissent about the EU except amongst a handful of far right extremists in the tory Party until Cameron announced the referendum, and then all the racists and xenophobes and disaster capitalists piled in and overwhelmed all the nice progressive people. Prior to about 2014 everyone except for Farage and cranky old Bill Cash just loved the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back