advertisement

In Praise Of Berghaus

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
OK, I know they're pretty expensive, but I've just had excellent service from Berghaus. I have an ancient Goretex coat, must be well over fifteen years old, & when I went to put it on the other day I noticed the bottom of the zip and part of the coat was badly chewed up. Didn't look like something the dogs would do, so I suspect it must have been caught in the car door.

I was prepared to ditch it, but on the off-chance I messaged Berghaus. They promptly replied, & after sending them a photo of the damage they confirmed they'd be able to repair it, no charge!

I got the coat back the other day after a fortnight away & it looks new - new zip, no sign of the holes.

Really first-class service!

Much the same experience. Mine 12 years old and I bought it S/H . By contrast our North Face jackets only made it to five. We walk two hours everyday regardless so it gets a good workout. That is excellent service. Mine is just starting to leak in heavy rain but I’ve some of that stuff that makes water bead which I use on my dry suits.

That's great service!

I had a Patagonia jacket where the waterproof lining stuff all flaked off. Sent them the knackered jacket and they sent me a brand new one, no receipt of proof of purchase required.

I once sent Wild Country a climbing harness that my then wife had cut up with scissors. It was new so I thought it would give them a laugh and they could re-use the buckles and bits. They sent me a new one!

I once sent Wild Country a climbing harness that my then wife had cut up with scissors. It was new so I thought it would give them a laugh and they could re-use the buckles and bits. They sent me a new one!
You must have really pissed her off lol.

I've had this with a Rohan gilet; even now the thing still fits me, but it's suffered from a few 'puncture holes'.

They took it back and repaired it 3 times so far with 3 new panels. Cannot tell at all they've been replaced and now down fitted etc

This thread gave me an idea. I have a pair Hillwalker II boots, given me new by a friend two years ago. I have walked the soles quite thin. No other boots I ever had survived more than a year, but these are superb, despite the great use.

I made contact with Berghaus, Repairhaus, and asked for a price to resole. No question that fair use is the case, so not asking for a resoling under guarantee.

We shall see if they will do it. Much better than getting new again. The uppers will easily go for another two years!

Best wishes from George

OK, I know they're pretty expensive, but I've just had excellent service from Berghaus. I have an ancient Goretex coat, must be well over fifteen years old, & when I went to put it on the other day I noticed the bottom of the zip and part of the coat was badly chewed up. Didn't look like something the dogs would do, so I suspect it must have been caught in the car door.

I was prepared to ditch it, but on the off-chance I messaged Berghaus. They promptly replied, & after sending them a photo of the damage they confirmed they'd be able to repair it, no charge!

I got the coat back the other day after a fortnight away & it looks new - new zip, no sign of the holes.

They were better made years ago. I’ve a Berghaus Mera Peak from 2004 still going strong while the one I bought 2012 fell to bits, less tough fabric, cost cut.

This thread gave me an idea. I have a pair Hillwalker II boots, given me new by a friend two years ago. I have walked the soles quite thin. No other boots I ever had survived more than a year, but these are superb, despite the great use.

I made contact with Berghaus, Repairhaus, and asked for a price to resole. No question that fair use is the case, so not asking for a resoling under guarantee.

We shall see if they will do it. Much better than getting new again. The uppers will easily go for another two years!

Best wishes from George

George, if you don't get anywhere with Berghaus try Lancashire Sport Repairs in Burnley https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/walking-boot-repairs-and-resoles/ they do a really good job - though they are very busy and I hear repairs are taking several weeks at the moment.

George, if you don't get anywhere with Berghaus try Lancashire Sport Repairs in Burnley https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/walking-boot-repairs-and-resoles/ they do a really good job - though they are very busy and I hear repairs are taking several weeks at the moment.

Berghaus have replied [via email] and lancashiresportsrepairs are their approved UK agent. I shall make contact with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the review, which adds further to my confidence in keeping these great boots going for years to come.

Thanks from George

They were better made years ago. I’ve a Berghaus Mera Peak from 2004 still going strong while the one I bought 2012 fell to bits, less tough fabric, cost cut.

I've also got an ancient Mera Peak (which I think is probably well over 20 years old) and still in great condition. I don't use it that much as I prefer lighter jackets now, however even the Berghaus Paclite one I use mostly these days has got to be over 10 years old and still looks like new.

Was it just buckshot you took Tony?

I only buy Briggs and Riley luggage now as it is repaired no questions asked. And no receipt required.

Berghaus have replied [via email] and lancashiresportsrepairs are their approved UK agent. I shall make contact with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the review, which adds further to my confidence in keeping these great boots going for years to come.

Thanks from George

Ive got a pair of snowboarding boots and a 30yo Helly Hansen jacket in for repair at LSR at the moment. They said repairs would be 3 to 4 months due to the backlog. As it’s summer I can wait

advertisement

Back