advertisement

Complete moron on a bike

I was out for a drink with friends yesterday, as is often the case, I am held responsible for the behaviour of all cyclists. One thing for sure, I am never surprised by the ignorance & entitlement shown by motorists. There is a real hatred of cyclists riding two abreast despite the safety reasons for it.

Well, the first major incident involving an electric scooter has happened; young rider ploughed into by a drunk driver in Bromley. Interesting to see whether this gets as much coverage as any incident involving a cyclist or similar.

I expect victim shaming & concerned comments about the scooters not being safe. What a terrible society we’ve become of late.

Well, the first major incident involving an electric scooter has happened; young rider ploughed into by a drunk driver in Bromley. Interesting to see whether this gets as much coverage as any incident involving a cyclist or similar.

I expect victim shaming & concerned comments about the scooters not being safe. What a terrible society we’ve become of late.
Had the driver been sober, I might have agreed with you, but I suspect the driver being drunk mostly overrides any other considerations.

This type of incident involving an electrically-assisted scooter isn’t new. I dealt with one in 1994, where the rider lost their arm…

However that incident wasn’t deemed media worthy, whereas today…

Shakur Pinnock and Emily Hartridge might disagree with the description of this incident as first.

This type of incident involving an electrically-assisted scooter isn’t new. I dealt with one in 1994, where the rider lost their arm…

However that incident wasn’t deemed media worthy, whereas today…
To be clear the scooter rider was in no way at fault, a drunk driver ploughed into him on the wrong side of the road. Somehow it will be the electric scooters deemed dangerous etc.

To be clear the scooter rider was in no way at fault, a drunk driver ploughed into him on the wrong side of the road. Somehow it will be the electric scooters deemed dangerous etc.
Have the facts of the case been reported somewhere or is yours a knee-jerk reaction because the driver was over the limit? It's not always the case that the drink driver is solely to blame.

Have the facts of the case been reported somewhere or is yours a knee-jerk reaction because the driver was over the limit? It's not always the case that the drink driver is solely to blame.
Are you for real? If you are drunk behind the wheel of the car you are 100% at fault. It was a hit & run!!!!

Drink driving is wrong and a crime. However being over the limit does not make one liable in all cases.
I find it rather odd that a 16 year old boy has been killed by a 20 year old drunk driver who was on the wrong side of the road yet the responses on here are trying to blame the victim?

It’s something of a stretch to say the least.

I give up.

This happened literally just round the corner from me, absolutely shocking. A lot of upset, locally.

In Japan an accident between a car and a bicycle is always the motorist's fault. An accident between a bicycle and a pedestrian is always the cyclist's fault. This is regardless of any road rules broken e.g. The bicycle hit by the car could be on the wrong side of the road or could have run a red light and the car driver would still be to blame.

The drivers are careful over there, and despite the large amount of traffic, I've not witnessed road rage. There seems to be a respect towards living things in Japan that is lacking in the UK and here in NZ.

I find it rather odd that a 16 year old boy has been killed by a 20 year old drunk driver who was on the wrong side of the road yet the responses on here are trying to blame the victim?

It’s something of a stretch to say the least.

I give up.
I didn’t say that though, did I.

Are you for real? If you are drunk behind the wheel of the car you are 100% at fault. It was a hit & run!!!!
Your second sentence is absolute garbage.
I once acted for a man who was driving along well within the speed limit when a car shot out of a side road into his near side.There was no way that my client could have avoided the accident, whether his reactions had been impaired or not. He'd had two pints about two hours before. He was breathalysed and was found to be one point over the limit. He was a drunk driver who had been involved in an accident. He was banned. But he was 0% at fault.
Such cases are rare, but happen. That's why, unlike you, I'm not prepared to rush to judgement.

Last weekend I came upon a large group of cyclists, about 50. They were taking up the entire road, that is both sides of the road forming a complete road block. They showed no intention of moving so I gave them a toot on the horn. The two on the outside did eventually pull over, a car was coming the other way, but when I did overtake, I got a got a lot of shouting, swearing and gesticulation.

A little further along the road I came across another group waiting to cross the road at a junction. Then found myself surrounded on all sides by the first group, shouting and swearing and 3 offers to fight me and one daring me to get out of the car to take up his kind offer.

I am a cyclist myself so have my own experiences with inconsiderate and aggressive car drivers. However, this group of cyclists were a bunch of lycra clad total twats of the sort who have an inconsiderate and highly aggressive sense of entitlement that gives cyclists a bad name

While in all likelihood being no way at fault in terms of the incident (can't say 100% as I wasn't there and haven't seen it) it should be noted that e-scooters are not legally allowed to be used on the road unless part of a current pilot scheme (Bromley does not have one) and even then the rider has to posses a provisional or full driving licence, something a 16 year old is unlikely to do (not impossible though). In this case the driver being over the limit and seemingly on the wrong side of the road has resulted in a horrendous incident and the driver deserves all that is coming and more, but let's not paint our 16 year old lawbreaker (unless he is enlisted in a pilot scheme in some other part of London) as some saint. He should (in all likelihood) not have been on the bloody thing and more enforcement is needed around them as they are all over the capital and being ridden by some utter idiots with no respect for any other road users (drivers, cyclists or pedestrians). Failing that a lot more of this sort of thing will happen and it won't be drunk drivers just people going about their business being confronted by some inexperienced idiot who thinks riding an e-scooter aggressively is in some way 'cool'.

Last weekend I came upon a large group of cyclists, about 50. They were taking up the entire road, that is both sides of the road forming a complete road block. They showed no intention of moving so I gave them a toot on the horn. The two on the outside did eventually pull over, a car was coming the other way, but when I did overtake, I got a got a lot of shouting, swearing and gesticulation.

A little further along the road I came across another group waiting to cross the road at a junction. Then found myself surrounded on all sides by the first group, shouting and swearing and 3 offers to fight me and one daring me to get out of the car to take up his kind offer.

I am a cyclist myself so have my own experiences with inconsiderate and aggressive car drivers. However, this group of cyclists were a bunch of lycra clad total twats of the sort who have an inconsiderate and highly aggressive sense of entitlement that gives cyclists a bad name

Popcorn and chair at the ready :D

advertisement

Back