advertisement

Why would these work?

If I remember correctly, she went on to marry Allan Gibb, owner of Stereo Stereo in Glasgow and he was involved in the company somehow. While ago. Today, duno.
Hi,

Yes, it seems she married Alan. He has been a director at Chord since 2006. Interesting that Sally is no longer a director of the company. She resigned 2019.

Interesting that Sally is no longer a director of the company. She resigned 2019.

I don't know what age Allan Gibb is but I reckon maybe in his late sixties, just going by his approximate age relative to me. People just retire.

I don't know what age Allan Gibb is but I reckon maybe in his late sixties, just going by his approximate age relative to me. People just retire.
Hi,
He is nearly 64 (according to Companies House). Sally is a few months younger.

Very misleading of the company to use a Chord DAC in their promo shots. They know exactly what they’re doing, can’t believe they’d get away with that.

Hmmm, I'm now tempted to try a resistive, low reactance, unused input ground coupler* on my 72 to see what it does.

*SMD resistors in a DIN plug.

Devices like this only "work" because they're expensive. Convince someone to spend £550 on a plug filled with some unnamed material, and they're more likely to commit to the idea that the effect is amazing. Give them away and the differences - if there even are any - become minor. Audiophilia is full of this kind of psychology.

Devices like this only "work" because they're expensive. Convince someone to spend £550 on a plug filled with some unnamed material, and they're more likely to commit to the idea that the effect is amazing. Give them away and the differences - if there even are any - become minor. Audiophilia is full of this kind of psychology.
Simply connect the Chord Company device to a network analyser and you can compare it to the same test results from @MJS's DIN plug and SMD resistors. You will then see exactly what extra you get for the money. At least if you are after technical performance and not something else. :)

Hasn't Russ Andrews been selling rubbish like this for years? Even worse they do one that plugs into empty mains sockets and somehow creates a quiet area, totally ridiculous.
Only they work in certain circumstances. my Sonos box used to induce a very audible thumping noise through my speakers when the system was on the phono input. The RA box removed it completely. It had no impact on SQ that I could hear but it meant I didn’t have to unplug the Sonos every time I listened to a record.

Only they work in certain circumstances. my Sonos box used to induce a very audible thumping noise through my speakers when the system was on the phono input. The RA box removed it completely. It had no impact on SQ that I could hear but it meant I didn’t have to unplug the Sonos every time I listened to a record.
Did you move any mains leads or cabling to install it? Does it still thump if you remove it now without touching anything else? This sounds very much like RFI, probably from the Sonos' WiFi.

Did you move any mains leads or cabling to install it? Does it still thump if you remove it now without touching anything else? This sounds very much like RFI, probably from the Sonos' WiFi.
I’ve long moved on from that system and indeed that house. No, nothing else changed at all. I left the system on the phono input at a normal listening volume with no music playing and the noise was there. I plugged the RA box in (Zapperator?) to an adjacent mains socket and it went.

I’m interested in the idea that there’s a problem with these straining the very thing they’re meant to protect but Naim Snaics and Burndies are okay in that respect? Asking for a friend :)

Naim snaics and burndies have very robust mechanical connections to their sockets which relieves any strain on the more delicate parts of the connector. The sockets in turn are connected to a very robust chassis so no problem.

That Chord Dave is also very robustly constructed but the sockets don't have similar properties.

Some equipment has very flimsy casework which would be a concern but bear in mind we don't actually know how much these things weigh. They might be fairly light.

Even so the risk of catching something on one of those protrusions would worry me.

advertisement

Back