advertisement

Replacing DNM Reson spk cable with.. ??

I have compared a white VdH bi-wire(don't know the exact name of the cable) with the DNM predecessor version of the current one (yet with the orange, white, blue and red colors) and it was sounding totally bad to my ears, HF rolled off and warm, bass fat, warm and imprecise.
Yea, that would be the 'Bad Sounding Biwire' - they don't make that one anymore.

About 15 years ago, I tried DNM Reson for a few months with Naim and Harbeth C7ES3’s. I recall that the bass improved dramatically by switching to NACA5.

Does it matter?

I think it matters because the cable may be compensating for some deficiency in the system, masking it.

this is usually what expensive high end cables do, they change the audio signal and that change is appreciated. People misunderstand that the truth was locked there in the system and then released by the cable.

Quite sure.

The transmission of audio signals is a pretty trivial matter without needs for 'laboratory made' anything.

Very thin cable, single stand or multicore will compromise damping factor once you exceeded a few meters and also subtly alter frequency response due to non-linear power transmission into the 'speaker load (unless the 'speaker has a flatline impedance which is very rare). In effect, expensive, imprecise tone controls at best.

Goes nicely under carpets.

Robert?

I'm really not interested in arguments with folk trying to justify cable sound these days, it's been done to death over decades.
I'll end on this as you want a response.

If you want to compensate for system deficiencies, there are far better ways to go about this than the blunt instrument of technically very questionable cable swaps.
The equipment choice itself, the room and 'speaker positioning, proper tone controls and EQ. These give you real control.

Unfortunately you'll find that cable manufacturers don't support your view and will claim that as you spend more, the cable becomes more transparent, i.e. it should not directly change the sound of your system.

To answer the actual question posed rather than engaging in any cable debate - there's loads of Cable Talk 3 knocking about on the second hand market - very cheap and actually excellent

:):rolleyes: Everything said in this thread other than by Robert and myself is bacofoil millinery at its finest:D

'Bacofoil millinery' - splendid phrase.

Last time I had this chat privately with Robert, this page resulted... thin skinny cables like DNM (which is remarkably alike to 450ohm ladder RF feeder wire but without the holes punched in the dialectric ... )

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/spkrcable.html

PS. can anyone measure & confirm the conductor diameter in the DNM speaker cable please..?

I'm really not interested in arguments with folk trying to justify cable sound these days, it's been done to death over decades.
I'll end on this as you want a response.

If you want to compensate for system deficiencies, there are far better ways to go about this than the blunt instrument of technically very questionable cable swaps.
The equipment choice itself, the room and 'speaker positioning, proper tone controls and EQ. These give you real control.

Unfortunately you'll find that cable manufacturers don't support your view and will claim that as you spend more, the cable becomes more transparent, i.e. it should not directly change the sound of your system.

I agree with you. I was asking about the alleged properties of the specific cable.

For example, avoid eddy currents, magnetic field, RF, etc.

Do not make sense?

Last time I had this chat privately with Robert, this page resulted... thin skinny cables like DNM (which is remarkably alike to 450ohm ladder RF feeder wire but without the holes punched in the dialectric ... )

PS. can anyone measure & confirm the conductor diameter in the DNM speaker cable please..?

I should copyright that phrase:D

Indeed the likelihood of it being twin feeder had not escaped me:)

Amazing how you can find a new and expensive use for an extant cheap product.... like low voltage lighting cable:D

"The DNM Resolution ribbon is 25.7mm wide x 2.7mm thick and it contains four 1.3mm diameter high purity copper conductors. A single length of DNM Resolution connects two stereo speakers or one bi-wired speaker. Easy-separation lines in the ribbon make cable preparation very easy."

If you can find some s\h hitachi multi strand as used by definitive customers it is ex vfm.
Personally loathe TQ stuff (tried most of range) shouts like someone’s hit loudness button on a seventies jap amp.
Mark grant stuff is ex vfm but you can do better if willing to cough up more cash.
Tried Nordost, yeuch, designed for American ears, thin and forward.
jps are interesting, I prefer the cheaper stuff, if you get on with shielded cables these are superb.
Liked electro fluidics a lot esp on esl57, goetz types are musically convincing but pain to use and match.
Cardas are more easily accommodated, physically and aurally, I find them a bit dull but it’s only a opinion in USA they have a large fan club.
Tried numerous boutique brands, ie revalation audio, ex silver cables made by a nutter who’s praying for end of days and donating profits to religious radicals, takes all sorts.

I used DNM for couple of years, the latest type is better balanced, less shrill, but still very amp dependant, Cyrus yes marantz no.
I went thru many changes before settling on kondo copper, musically engaging but boutique pricing. Swiss cables are similar and a good cheaper alternative.
I’ve tried all cables I discuss in more than one system.
If in doubt email the makers of your speakers/amp, or find out what’s used on crossover.

If you can find some s\h hitachi multi strand as used by definitive customers it is ex vfm.
Personally loathe TQ stuff (tried most of range) shouts like someone’s hit loudness button on a seventies jap amp.
Mark grant stuff is ex vfm but you can do better if willing to cough up more cash.
Tried Nordost, yeuch, designed for American ears, thin and forward.
jps are interesting, I prefer the cheaper stuff, if you get on with shielded cables these are superb.
Liked electro fluidics a lot esp on esl57, goetz types are musically convincing but pain to use and match.
Cardas are more easily accommodated, physically and aurally, I find them a bit dull but it’s only a opinion in USA they have a large fan club.
Tried numerous boutique brands, ie revalation audio, ex silver cables made by a nutter who’s praying for end of days and donating profits to religious radicals, takes all sorts.

I used DNM for couple of years, the latest type is better balanced, less shrill, but still very amp dependant, Cyrus yes marantz no.
I went thru many changes before settling on kondo copper, musically engaging but boutique pricing. Swiss cables are similar and a good cheaper alternative.
I’ve tried all cables I discuss in more than one system.
If in doubt email the makers of your speakers/amp, or find out what’s used on crossover.

What's your head size and will you be attending Ascot this year?

"The DNM Resolution ribbon is 25.7mm wide x 2.7mm thick and it contains four 1.3mm diameter high purity copper conductors. A single length of DNM Resolution connects two stereo speakers or one bi-wired speaker. Easy-separation lines in the ribbon make cable preparation very easy."

Well -even if that is the updated stuff - it's still a pretty high resistance speaker cable for any practicable lengths; fails Quads 'max 5% of speaker impedance' criterion even at 8ohms by a long chalk....

I’ve some of their interconnect stuff. It’s brilliant if your experimenting in a small space. Super flexible but never kinks. I’ve got a half meter pair I use a lot with very naff RCA’s. Interestingly I swapped it out for a meter of Van de hul 102 something or other with Eichmann bullets and got the only cable improvement I’ve ever noticed. I’ve also got some Eichmann bullets on a meter of the stuff but I’m just not interested in the fiddle of A/B. Those bullets aren’t exactly user friendly are they?

Well -even if that is the updated stuff - it's still a pretty high resistance speaker cable for any practicable lengths; fails Quads 'max 5% of speaker impedance' criterion even at 8ohms by a long chalk....

Have this model too

New in the Precision 2 design is a third layer of neutral grey insulation used along the length of the cable to hide the colours so the ribbon visually blends into its background. The cable's ribbon is only 19.5mm wide x 2.2mm thick, about the same size as the original DNM mono Solid Core

Interconnect inductance and resistance is totally unimportant (the load is at least 10k)
My concern is that with widely spaced wires you have an efficient antenna

The effect of high resistance speaker leads is going to be very variable between different speakers. It will tend to improve vocals by cutting deep bass a bit - its a tone control

I once had some DNM cables along with DNM pre/power amps. Worked well, but then you’d expect that. These days, it’s difficult to look any further than the excellent no-nonsense 4mm.sq. and 6mm.sq. cables from Mark Grant Audio.

Agreed, for the wonga the Van Damme Hifi Series is very good.

NVA LS3 cable is very open sounding while not being forced or forward sounding. As one previous poster suggested it might be worth trying and they also offer a 30 day return option if you don’t like it….

advertisement

Back