advertisement

Germany currently disappearing under water...

The Rhine at Basel came close to overflowing its banks (we got to High Water Level Stage 4 - Stage 5 is catastrophe), but thankfully didn't quite make it. This was the Mittlerebrücke in Basel last night:

DKefyZt8q_gBZf3f1gklwZ.jpg

All barge traffic had to stop (combination of powerful current and inability to get under the bridge).

People living near the Aare in Bern were advised to move their cars to high ground and move valuables to an upper storey.

Monday saw extreme flash flooding in London, overwhelming parts of West London flooding roads,railways and homes. ( plenty of links a Google away # Brian May )
Not of course anywhere near the levels of devastation and loss in Germany but a timely reminder of the power of nature.

I got caught in the flooding in London on Monday* and on seeing how it was the same weather system, I think we got off very lightly. My thoughts are with everyone affected.

*No trains home and had to take an Uber. It literally was soaking wet to the edge of the M25/M1 and then bone dry for the rest of the journey to MK.

What, so your friends have some elderly neighbours who have actually died in tbis? Bloody hell.

Unfortunately yes. More and more bad news coming in...sveral colleagues lost their cars - washed away. And two has their houses collapsed with all furniture washed away

Unfortunately yes. More and more bad news coming in...sveral colleagues lost their cars - washed away. And two has their houses collapsed with all furniture washed away
I'm so sorry to hear of this tragedy. Take care of yourselves.

Jeez, glad I live on top of a big hill.

You're doomed to being marooned ! :)

Have just heard of torrential downpours in South Island, NZ causing chaos. Not heard the details yet. In this country (or at least England), this is a meteorological year like no other I can remember. Admittedly from the p.o.v. of a gardener. The London floods were blamed on people building basements, interfering with the ground water levels, but no sewage system can cope properly with exceptional rainfall events. Oddly, some of the main flooding occured in the wider Hampstead area. I lived there for years and it's mostly sloping ground; steeply in places.

Thankfully, so do we - it would require a flood of Noachian proportions to bother us.

A few people on higher ground have unfortunately also been badly affected - huge landslides due to the torrential rain. I don't think the future will be someone else's problem - we will all be directly affected in some way or the other within our lifetimes. If its not floods it will be something else. This is the immediate future we have created as a world and continue unabated

I live in the Rheinau park next to the Rhine a beautiful, genteel and safe place...every year there is a bit of flooding and you see a bit of branches and normal stuff as flotsam and jetsam - on my morning run today, I saw peoples belongings and bits of furniture being swept along.

The London floods were blamed on people building basements, interfering with the ground water levels, but no sewage system can cope properly with exceptional rainfall events. Oddly, some of the main flooding occured in the wider Hampstead area. I lived there for years and it's mostly sloping ground; steeply in places.

As I might have posted before, our local park was redesigned a couple of decades ago with the river Quaggy uncovered and the park now serving as a flood plain for Lewisham. When there's very heavy rainfall the centre of the park becomes a huge lake. After a few days it drains away. I imagine there are limits to how much it can prevent flooding in exceptional weather but seems like a simple effective approach.

sad news from mellowjet records who supply many wonderful albums

the home of MellowJet-Records was hit by a flood disaster in the night from July 14th to 15th. Me and my family are well up, and fortunately there are no casualties in our family and friends circle either. That is the most important thing. Nevertheless: Our basement, our complete second floor, as well as garage, both vehicles and garden were destroyed by the flood. We have spent the last week trying to salvage what was left. Much of it is lost forever: for example, my record/CD collection, my diaries, and many mementos. Currently we are living in my studio, which is on the top floor of our house and was spared from the water.

The reconstruction of our home is progressing slowly but steadily. We owe this to ourselves and especially to the numerous helpers. Slowly our strength is dwindling and it is time to process what we have experienced. We are also slowly becoming aware of the consequences.

In the next weeks it will not be possible for us to send goods, because there is simply no postal station near us. Downloads in our store and on Bandcamp will of course still work. If you want to support us financially you can do so via download. Mine and our label will survive this catastrophe. I am confident that we will be able to go back to regular operations in a few weeks. Already placed orders will be processed as soon as possible.

mellowjet flooded by , on Flickr

advertisement

Back