advertisement

The Euro 2020 (football) thread.

The European ban during the 80s probably focused the thuggery on the international scene. Most countries have a subset of hooligans, we probably have more as there is greater depth in our football pyramid; more opportunities for them to latch onto.

I find my tolerance of football fans is far lower than it used to be; it seems to turn adults towards infantile behaviour. I used to really love football, a regular at HTAFC, but I’ve just become disenfranchised of late.

Did Blair encourage racism then?

Strong question. I’d point out that my recollection of dealing with football incidents/hooligans didn’t differ too much under a Labour government.

Policing isn’t apolitical. It’s wasn’t apolitical under a Labour government, either, from my perspective.

Strong question. I’d point out that my recollection of dealing with football incidents/hooligans didn’t differ too much under a Labour government.

Policing isn’t apolitical. It’s wasn’t apolitical under a Labour government, either, from my perspective.

Which is a neat deflection. The main point here is that when faced with a group of players representing the country and repeatedly explaining their symbol of unity against racial injustice, this government's finest preferred to side with those booing them. Hooliganism may always have been with us, but ministers supporting racists over their own team certainly has not been.

Which is a neat deflection. The main point here is that when faced with a group of players representing the country and repeatedly explaining their symbol of unity against racial injustice, this government's finest preferred to side with those booing them. Hooliganism may always have been with us, but ministers supporting racists over their own team certainly has not been.
Hooliganism went hand in hand with racism. At the same time as the violence was the throwing of bananas and verbal abuse of black players. Great strides were made against hooliganism and against the open expression of racism.

All of that was done when this government decided not to side with footballers making an anti racist gesture and instead sided with those who chose to boo the anti racist gesture. Anyone who boos an anti racist gesture, has to be anti anti-racism, or to put it more simply, has to be racist.

This government choose to set themselves against the anti racists and to provide shelter and ready made excuses for the the racists.

They blew to dog whistle of racism and the dogs started barking. Hooliganism and racism in football has come back into the open.

This government has set back anti racism by several decades

Hooliganism went hand in hand with racism. At the same time as the violence was the throwing of bananas and verbal abuse of black players. Great strides were made against hooliganism and against the open expression of racism.

All of that was done when this government decided not to side with footballers making an anti racist gesture and instead sided with those who chose to boo the anti racist gesture. Anyone who boos an anti racist gesture, has to be anti anti-racism, or to put it more simply, has to be racist.

This government choose to set themselves against the anti racists and to provide shelter and ready made excuses for the the racists.

They blew to dog whistle of racism and the dogs started barking. Hooliganism and racism in football has come back into the open.

This government has set back anti racism by several decades
I agree with almost everything you say, but many hooligan “firms” associated with league clubs back in the day were multi-racial, certainly those from more ethnically diverse cities and towns.

I quite like the idea of 'firms' being inclusive multicultural organisations, woke before their time etc, just so misunderstood.

advertisement

Back