advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Reviving this thread...I've recently been investigating the possibility of replacing my old, trusty Naim DBL speakers. Over the years, I've listened to many makes, but none have particularly blown my skirts up. But you never really know until you've got 'em in your home system for a good, long listen. My excellent dealer, Signals, lent me a pair I'd previously tagged as being likely candidates that would be OK in my room & position, but after a few days' listening I just couldn't get on with them, good though they were in many ways.

Anyway, I'd had a chat with my dealer a few weeks ago regarding whether or not a move to the Accuphase E800 from my rather splendid E560 might be worthwhile. His opinion was I might be better off listening to one of their pre/power combinations. Andy from Signals came over to collect the speakers yesterday, and so I took the opportunity to borrow their demo Accuphase A-48 amp & 2150 preamp. The A-48's a bit of a monster! So I gave the combination a long listen yesterday & this morning, & I'm sold on them already. Just more of the lovely Accuphase sound, expansive and detailed, smooth & relaxing to listen to.

Q0rFK2x.jpg

Reviving this thread...I've recently been investigating the possibility of replacing my old, trusty Naim DBL speakers. Over the years, I've listened to many makes, but none have particularly blown my skirts up. But you never really know until you've got 'em in your home system for a good, long listen. My excellent dealer, Signals, lent me a pair I'd previously tagged as being likely candidates that would be OK in my room & position, but after a few days' listening I just couldn't get on with them, good though they were in many ways.

Anyway, I'd had a chat with my dealer a few weeks ago regarding whether or not a move to the Accuphase E800 from my rather splendid E560 might be worthwhile. His opinion was I might be better off listening to one of their pre/power combinations. Andy from Signals came over to collect the speakers yesterday, and so I took the opportunity to borrow their demo Accuphase A-48 amp & 2150 preamp. The A-48's a bit of a monster! So I gave the combination a long listen yesterday & this morning, & I'm sold on them already. Just more of the lovely Accuphase sound, expansive and detailed, smooth & relaxing to listen to.

Q0rFK2x.jpg
Lovely! Not sure what speakers you were using, but two brands that really seem to be synergistic with Accuphase are Focal and Fyne Audio. And if you think you don’t like Focal, do try to hear them with Accuphase, they may surprise you.

I have an Accuphase pre/power system and it is great. The Class A A48 power amp is a gem and drives my Spendor Classic 200s with ease. The overall sound is lovely and just so relaxing to listen to over extended sessions. Much preferred to my previous Naim 552/500 system.

I had the pleasure of home-demoing an A-48 over the weekend. It sounded sublime, even with an ancient Pioneer C-21 doing preamp duties. I'd like to listen to it again with a matching Accuphase preamp. I think in terms of hierarchy, the A-48 is better matched with the C-2450. Even on its own, it had that rare ability to portray subtlety and authority in equal measure. My only reservation is whether it is truly class A to its rated output of 45WPC. It runs a fair bit cooler than my 30WPC Pioneer M-22.

Nice looking system. Still not sold on the coloured text on Accuphase, but I’m sure it sounds lovely. These big Japanese beasts truly are endgame, if you let them….

I had the pleasure of home-demoing an A-48 over the weekend. It sounded sublime, even with an ancient Pioneer C-21 doing preamp duties. I'd like to listen to it again with a matching Accuphase preamp. I think in terms of hierarchy, the A-48 is better matched with the C-2450. Even on its own, it had that rare ability to portray subtlety and authority in equal measure. My only reservation is whether it is truly class A to its rated output of 45WPC. It runs a fair bit cooler than my 30WPC Pioneer M-22.

After stating that Accuphase meet their specs in another thread, I am going to have to eat humbe pie!

Looking at the max power figures on P2 (which certainly do not double for each halving of the load impedance):
https://www.accuphase.com/pdf/a-48_e.pdf

100W into 8R needs a +/-40V output swing. If we assume the A-48 has 45V rails on the output stage, then 90W dissipation per channel means 1A of standing current for per channel, maybe 950mA in the output stage.
Let's assume it's 1A for ease of calculation and to be generous. That means the amp can swing 2A before exiting class A. That's 16W RMS in class A into 8R and 8W into 4R.

This is plenty for a real application - does anyone think they can hear crossover distortion at the SPLs that >8W achieves into any sensible speaker??

Lovely! Not sure what speakers you were using, but two brands that really seem to be synergistic with Accuphase are Focal and Fyne Audio. And if you think you don’t like Focal, do try to hear them with Accuphase, they may surprise you.
I'm using my DBLs, which just love Accuphase. I'm now giving up trying to replace them, they respond so well to whatever you bung through them, and their positioning in the room requires a speaker that will sit against the wall. A friend uses Focals, which are excellent in his system. Fynes won't work in my room.

I'm using my DBLs, which just love Accuphase. I'm now giving up trying to replace them, they respond so well to whatever you bung through them, and their positioning in the room requires a speaker that will sit against the wall. A friend uses Focals, which are excellent in his system. Fynes won't work in my room.

There's probably only a small handful of speakers that are designed to work in that position, I do see Accuphase being partnered alot in Japanese systems with large Tannoys , but I guess if your happy with the DBLs why bother looking elsewhere, lovely amps btw.

Stick with the DBLs, are they still in good condition? Drivers and cross-over all ok? If yes them keep them, if not there's always a home for them in Herefordshire...;);)

Tannoys would be a reasonable alternative, but won't save any space over the DBLs.

Evening peeps, I would have said a simple two way stand mounted speaker would do the trick. I am thinking the Kudos 505's or even the ART Emotions I used to own. Both would work extremely well with the Luxman Integrated.

Q0rFK2x.jpg

Congratulations Tony! welcome to the Accuphase pre/power club
Quite a step up from the E560.
As a matter of interest, which speakers have you been trying?
Mac

advertisement

Back