advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

I listened to an old Little Feat album - and I could hear bass lines more clearly and the instruments were clearer - not in a cold analytical way.

Thank you. I do find this interesting as more detail often does mean a more clinical sound. The RP10 is massively more detailed than my LP12, and mostly in a good way. You can hear vocal expression, bass notes etc more clearly, but the overall sound has less solidity and it fells less like listening to real people. The Karousel is also on my possible upgrade list but I'd concerned that it's a similar deal.

The views on the Lingo 4 are interesting. Better speed stability is a big plus, again it was very noticeable on the RP10, but you would seem to put the benefits of the Karousel over those of the Lingo 4. Interesting.

What were you using before and can you describe the change?
Geddon with an airpax. Better pitch control. TBH the Geddon was pretty good, but it was starting to buzz like an angry wasps nest and the airpax was none to quiet (which A.C is?). No idea if the improvement in instrument detail is as a result of better speed control or that it’s so quiet.

No idea if the improvement in instrument detail is as a result of better speed control or that it’s so quiet.

Bit of both maybe. The very first thing I noticed about the RP10 was how quiet it was. Not the motor but the needle in the groove. When I put the first record on I thought the input selector was set wrong as there was so little noise coming off the run-in groove. I think any reduction in noise anywhere in the system pays off.

Last edited:
Re: reducing noise. I found that what the bearing, tonearm and motor is attached to makes an improvement in that regard. In my case the Greenstreet subchassis and Khan top plate. The Khan, because it is flat, makes the suspension quite a bit easier to set up with no need to straighten the bolts that the suspension hangs from.

Last edited:
I'd like to try and get better speed stability out of the thing without losing the warm, bouncy feel of the earlier decks. To be honest, that makes we wary of the stiffer subchassis as I reckon it might clean up the bass too much? Really don't know, I'm guessing as I've never had an LP12 with a subchassis beyond the Cirkus.
If your in the south east your welcome to DM me for a dem at mine. I’ve recently had a Kore, Trampolin 2, L4, Karousel upgrade. Previously to that it was all std for 93 spec plus Cirkus upgrade. I am now getting a really well balanced sound with good separation, bass is not at all overblown, but deep and clear. Playback is via LV3 krystal through a selekt dsm with std dac (at the mo) tri-amped aktiv by lk100’s into a pair of keilidh’s on ku stones. Speakers are 300mm off the wall to their back and approx 3deg toe-in 1.6M apart and 2.1M between them and me, soundstage is nice and wide with good definition, no room optimisation is set, wide variety of music played from classic, jazz, prog rock, acid jazz, blues. No problems apart from the odd duff mix from some of the seventies engineers on the odd rock albums

advertisement

Back