advertisement

Back on the old Linn Karousel...

Getting in on this late, but, if I was gonna do a new LP12 build now (as you're doing), I'd likely be going;

Either Kore or 3rd party subchassis, (mober fine), but with STOCK inner-platter.
KAROUSEL for certain. It's been raved about.
Aim for Lingo IV on P/S. Below that....I dunno. Don't think the Mober is so good based on reports, etc.
arm - either 330, 880, or Nima
Cart - Hana ML.

I think this would generate the best bang-for-the-buck, depending on what you might come across here or there on deal.

Oh, and the "rega arms don't work good on a Linn" thing is a myth. Full-on, no-holds-barred, myth. They work just fine.

Either Kore or 3rd party subchassis...

I'm thinking about that but I have no idea what that will do. I don't know if the deck will retain its swing or get more clinical. It's also a pain to change later, basically a full rebuild. Changing a PSU is simple by comparison.

"It does most of the good things that all the other contenders do, but tends to push the emotional element of the song that little bit further...

Hasn't this always been true of the LP12 and is why people buy it? There have always been turntables that were better in Hi-Fi terms than the Linn but not very many that communicate the soul of the music as effectively.

Hasn't this always been true of the LP12 and is why people buy it? There have always been turntables that were better in Hi-Fi terms than the Linn but not very many that communicate the soul of the music as effectively.
True although only based on the ones I've heard which is a small sample.

True although only based on the ones I've heard which is a small sample.

This is the Linn 'thing'. Of an LP12 doesn't hook you into the passion of the music it's not right. Many other turntables can't pull off the same trick no matter what you do to them.

This is the Linn 'thing'. Of an LP12 doesn't hook you into the passion of the music it's not right. Many other turntables can't pull off the same trick no matter what you do to them.

Yep, an LP12 will bring the atmosphere of the venue. Particularly with the Karousel.

Andrew

Don't agree with this! I had an LP12 for 13 years, since then a Voyd, Roksan, then a 1210 and now another Voyd, the soul of the music comes across just as well with any of the other decks.
I lose my self in the music with my current Voyd/SMEV/ Hana SL as well as at any time in my experience with hifi.
In my opinion this notion that the LP12 does this is just a myth, it's just more or less distortion and colouration.

The whole idea that only vinyl can bring you into the music or that this is unique to a particular TT is nonsense.

Sorry, off topic but I do have an LP12.

Just read back through the posts and what's being suggested is that the LP12 is more effective than most at this. Also, that some turntables are very poor at this no matter what you do to them. Not the same as saying the LP12 can uniquely 'bring you into the music'.

Just read back through the posts and what's being suggested is that the LP12 is more effective than most at this. Also, that some turntables are very poor at this no matter what you do to them. Not the same as saying the LP12 can uniquely 'bring you into the music'.

Yes. I'm sure there are other turntables which can do similar things but it's what the LP12 is known for. It does not have the best speed stability, detail, noise levels but it does have a way of connecting you with the music that is better than average.

Incidentally, I don't agree that the Roxsan is as good in this respect.

Just to say I've just got my LP12 back from having the Karousel fitted and the improvement is extraordinary.

Could you describe it?

I understand your enthusiasm. I was pretty impressed when I got the Cirkus fitted shortly after it came out but I ended up removing it again. It gave more detail and clarity but the air and sway of the deck was diminished.

Just to say I've just got my LP12 back from having the Karousel fitted and the improvement is extraordinary and this with a 5 year old Majik with the Project arm. I had previously upgraded to Lingo 4 but the Karousel change is incredible.

It's brilliant the Karousel isn't it.
I really like what it does to vocals and percussion instruments.The detail it digs out is amazing.It's got to be the best LP12 upgrade.
I am having a Lingo 4 fitted next month - What where your thoughts on that upgrade ? I have just got the Majik powersupply at the moment but want to move my LP12 up to Akurate level and stop there.

Lingo 4 will be as big an improvement as the Karousel was, enjoy.

Karousel improves rhythm and timing and drops the noise floor clearly revealing instruments that were previously veiled.

Its good from the get go but beds in after a week or so and gets magical.

I never heard why some didnt like the cirkus over the original bearing as I thought it was comprehensively better and by some degree,

but I am told by many that held this view that Karousel is very much a 'cake and eat it' solution.

Yes, I also would like to hear about the Lingo 4 as it's on my radar too.

Hi there.

The Lingo 4 is an improvement - I had a Hercules speed control etc before. The Lingo has electronic speed control which keeps the platter at a constant speed of rotation. The power supply is almost Naimlike in its size - so there must be some decent transformers in there. But I can’t say that I heard the improvement as being as night and day as the Karousel. As mentioned above I did Lingo first - probably because Karousel hadn’t been released then.

As to the Karousel effect- and bear in mind it was only fitted this week- but I listened to an old Little Feat album - and I could hear bass lines more clearly and the instruments were clearer - not in a cold analytical way.

I also listened to the Elvis Costello album Imperial Bedroom - the first track - “Beyond Belief” is a hifi tester with loads of lyrics being spat out by a cynical EC with a complicated backing track with the band interacting in quite an improvised way. The vocals sounded more realistic and I could hear more of what is going on with the drums and bass. But in a very “musical” way if that makes sense.

I’m still using the Pro-ject 9c arm with Linn Adikt cartridge - so relatively low level arm/cartridge- so one would think there could be more to come in due course.

Yes, I also would like to hear about the Lingo 4 as it's on my radar too.
I tried two Lingo 4’s, both noisy as hell. Both went back. With the last one, the dealer told me to ‘hit the spindle end of the motor hard with a bit of wood, that usually sorts them out’. Er…, no thanks. Being a bit cheesed off with Linn and it’s dealer by then, I came across Mober and Edmund Chan (@bigfish) and tried his D.C motor kit. Excellent. To be fair, I had a problem with the first one he sent (cracked solder joint in the head unit). He couldn’t of been better to deal with, priority shipped me a new one before I had sent the old one back. Faultless ever since.

advertisement

Back