advertisement

Afghanistan withdrawal.

Unfortunately that doesn't funnel money to military contractors, and so we end up with disastrous wars like Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unfortunately I believe this just about sums it up.

Growing poppies still seems to be a big business in Afhghanistan. This needs dealing with and I don't understand why we haven't, effectively, done so to date.

Regards

Richard

That's only a decade or two younger than most of the other mideast states, whose artificial borders were mostly created in the early 20th century as various empires fell.

The people and their generations of ancestors going back hundreds of years on that land are what counts. Not what the West decided would be countries.
The Ottoman Empire was not amorphous: there were about 30 partly self-governing provinces.

Given it was created by the West in 1948 its history is not that long nor that complex. I realise that many do not like Israel's politics but it has been besieged by its neighbours since day 1 and has done what was necessary (and sometimes more so) to ensure no one messes with them. The long and not really complex history is that of persecution of Jews for millennia and particularly in the 30s and 40s.

If someone from another country took your house would you regard that as a success ?
Who persecuted them ? It should have been located in Europe in 1945 out of part of Germany.

“Afghanistan, as ever, is the key to the western domination of Asia.”
George Monbiot
From ‘The Great Game’ to protect British interests in India to the 20th century wars and invasions to protect oil interests, the story of Afghanistan is the story of British and American business interests. The Taliban, for example, were wined, dined, celebrated and empowered by American oil interests represented by Dick Cheney and Halliburton. That they are now considered a ‘bad thing’ is deeply ironic.

The problem in Afghanistan is one created by western manipulation, double dealing, double standards, war and crying havoc.

If someone from another country took your house would you regard that as a success ?
Who persecuted them ? It should have been located in Europe in 1945 out of part of Germany.
Who persecuted the Jews? Everyone.

bad news rolling in now

This is the second regional capital to fall to the militants, after Zaranj in the south-western province of Nimroz fell on Friday.

It is a major blow to security forces, with battles raging across the country.

There are also reports of heavy fighting in Kunduz in the north and Lashkar Gah in the south.

Violence has escalated across Afghanistan after US and other international forces began to withdraw their troops from the country, following 20 years of military operations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58127407

We wiped out their ability to commit terrorist acts wherever they wanted. And then terrorism changed. And it’ll keep changing.

Just use technology to keep track of who’s masterminding attacks, preferably before they happen, and take them out with drones and special forces. Show no mercy. It’s all the Taliban and al Qaeda understand.

I agree. When does the bombing of Washington, London and tel aviv begin?

^ The USA created, financed and armed Al Qaeda to defeat the USSR.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the CIA with a hand in the heroin business over many years.
The Taliban have never been interested in anything outside their own country.
USA and UK entirely to blame.

The problem in Afghanistan is one created by western manipulation, double dealing, double standards, war and crying havoc.

I would suggest that the USSR had a Metric Shite Tonne of responsibility too - 1979 anyone?

Reactions: bob

I'm perfectly aware of the British forays into Afghanistan TYVM. Do NOT attempt to Mansplain to me. Not now, not ever.

The point being is that in the 60's and 70's Afghanistan was a progressive State - indeed I was at school in the 1970s with the son of an Afghan Army Officer.

Then 1979 happened and the Soviets started the **** up. Yes the Yanks supplied the Mujahideen with weapons, then abandoned them in 1989 when the Wall came down.

It's a lot more complex than you would have people believe.

Oh, and don't forget it was Tony B Liar that got us entangled there in 2001.

Shouldn't that be a capital 's'?

Never mind, the concept of sexism is likely to be lost on someone who uses the word 'mansplain', in any case.

No need for another rebuke, I respectively withdraw from this line of discourse.

Apparently loads of b52 still bombing the Taliban but the nation feels abandoned by America.

Ah, carpet bombing by B52s well this time with gps guided bombs with targeting information from paid informants looking to settle scores, what could possibly go wrong?

advertisement

Back