advertisement

Afghanistan withdrawal.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Not top of the news when football seems more important, but the USA/UK withdrawal is significant.
We lost 454 soldiers in that country, and for what ?
The Taliban appear to be ready to take over the country completely.

We wiped out their ability to commit terrorist acts wherever they wanted. And then terrorism changed. And it’ll keep changing.

Just use technology to keep track of who’s masterminding attacks, preferably before they happen, and take them out with drones and special forces. Show no mercy. It’s all the Taliban and al Qaeda understand.

Not top of the news when football seems more important, but the USA/UK withdrawal is significant.
We lost 454 soldiers in that country, and for what ?
The Taliban appear to be ready to take over the country completely.

The Taliban have 180000-strong army to defeat first.

Taliban are certain to take over the country , so what was the point of going there in the first place !

Afghanistan has no real national identity, it's a very loose association of tribal and ethnic loyalties.

Staying there as long as we did was certainly a mistake.

Killing all these people and loosing our own soldiers was unnecessary, stupid and tragic. Maybe criminal.

Afghans should control their country's destiny. For better or for worse.

Iraq had a large army too. It melted away when ISIS went on the offensive. After 20 years of training, we’ll see if the Afghan army is better prepared.

It is not. Writing as someone who helped (try to) train them in 2012 while deployed there. My profile picture is from mobilization training at Ft. Dix on the way to Bastion/Leatherneck in Helmand.

DimitryZ is exactly correct in his post above.

A lot of those have minimal career choices and can't fed a family. Imagine you're young male with zero prospects and your family's known nothing but fighting for 40 years.

Cutting foreign aid isn't the way to go.
My grandfather was there 100 years ago and their only industries were drug growing and banditry. Nothing changes

Probably. That’s why it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea if the west remained there so they can limit the damage they have contributed to cause in the past.
I think we have done enough damage over the last 200 years.

advertisement

Back