advertisement

Anyone else having issues with Roon recognising artwork (where it's not supplying its own)?

evand

Just press play
*** My question relates to local files/albums only, not streamed content ***

I tend to grab large album covers from apple music and save as folder.jpg inside the folder representing the local album. Whilst every other program I've tried (both Windows and Linux) have no problem whatsoever displaying these files, about 60% of the time Roon does not display the image and instead shows this:

NknE21n.png

I've even gone as far as to test the files using ImageMagick to test entire folder trees using:

Code:
find . -name '*.jpg' -exec identify -format "%f\n" {} \; 2>errors.txt
to confirm the files are 100% fine, which they are.

In this instance the underlying file is located here:

https://is4-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/...ad-ec61-8258d7590cdc/source/9999x9999-100.jpg

I've reported it to Roon and provided a number of files as examples, but in true Roon fashion I may as well be trying raise the dead...they simply don't give a hoot.

Anyone else seeing this?

Not noticed that problem with Roon on my Mac. When I indicated a problem (albums not showing as such just as tracks in certain display modes) on the Roon site they took about a week to react and another day or two to sort it, but sort it they did.

I usually add photos to the less mainstream elements by
- either using the "Paste URL from clipboard" function in Roon after applying "Copy" to the photo on Discogs / Amazon etc
- or adding the image using the "Edit tags with dbpoweramp" function in the Finder (on Mac)

I’m not in front of Roon at the moment, but had something similar a while back. From memory, you can get to a setting that tells Roon whether to use an image from its own data source, or to use the local folder.jpg. Just occasionally I’ve had that setting change back to the Roon source and if Roon doesn’t have one for that artist, then you get the blank that you see in your screen grab.

Hope that helps - if not I can get in front of Roon tomorrow

Thanks both, it's not a settings issue. Roon is set to ignore all my metadata etc. so generally it only uses my metadata when it cannot identify the album (way too often because they rely on Tivo/Rovi) and references local artwork based on the "Prefer best" option.

When I indicated a problem (albums not showing as such just as tracks in certain display modes) on the Roon site they took about a week to react and another day or two to sort it, but sort it they did.
You're lucky, I sent the files to them and was summarily ignored thereafter despite circling back a few times. When bugs don't affect the majority of users they're pretty damned good at pretending you don't exist.

I suspect the answer is technical debt: The current version of libjpeg-turbo is 2.1.0 on 23 April 2021 and if their open source list is to be believed they're using 1.4.0 which dates back to 2015.

I have a 3TB local library of FLACs which I manage using Roon in the main. Where there are issues with the artwork I use MP3Tag to associate a .jpg of the artwork with the FLACs. I've never had recourse to use Roon to update the artwork.

I have a 3TB local library of FLACs which I manage using Roon in the main. Where there are issues with the artwork I use MP3Tag to associate a .jpg of the artwork with the FLACs. I've never had recourse to use Roon to update the artwork.

I never embed artwork in FLAC files - just wastes space, especially where a lot of the artwork I’m using these days is 3000x3000 or larger. One cover.jpg or folder.jpg in each album folder suffices.

Would a Roon user mind dropping this into a local album folder Roon has ingested, naming it folder.jpg or cover.jpg (preserve your original image first) and checking whether Roon displays the image or what I've shown?

anyone, please - just dump the file into one of your album folders and post your results here?

Thanks SJB, interesting result. I assume it was downloaded from the link I provided above? If so, what OS are you running?

Yes I right clicked and saved as folder.jpg ( must remember to change it back!).

It’s a win 10 NUC OS on SDD with music on hard drive.

.sjb

advertisement

Back