advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Wow, that is silly fast. That last 100m is stunning!

Out for a lovely sunny trot this morning.
And yesterday, so legs feeling it a little now....a bit achy on the walk to the pub after...;)

So wonderful to be back at a race event this morning! A proper 10k trail race, timing, medals and everything! Very glad I had trail shoes on - rough, muddy terrain most of the way.
Staggered start, hung back a bit for the start but that proved to be a bit of a mistake because the first 3k were solid tough uphill to the top of the South Downs, and I ended up weaving in and out and slowed up a little by traffic. Which made me feel rather good! HR got up to 180 very quickly and decided I needed to pace a little better. Downhill was good.
Well organized and just so good to be back at a race!

Bugger of a course though:
TGmLboG.jpg

[Edited to add the results just went up and came 46th overall (of 281) and 7th in age category - so am well chuffed!]

Last edited:
I'm doing my first 'proper' event next week, it's a 5 mile round trip of the Ashridge Estate near Tring. We've walked it many times with the the dogs so know where it's going but there's a good hill at the start I'm looking forward to tackling.

After faffing about for weeks I finally did a 10 miler yesterday. I just need to get that half-marathon confidence back up and just go for it.

Well that was hard work. 172m of elevation gain over rough terrain, in fact we've done the route in many parts with the dogs on separate occasions. Great fun and at a pace that I used to be proud of on the flat. Nice to get the vibe of being with other runners. Must make a note not to book events when all my running club compatriots are at the MK Marathon weekend.

Slowly getting back to it. Not sure if I am ever going to be able to run marathons again but at least I can shuffle along for 10k or so again…

Just booked myself a place on the Great North Run in September. I'll be running for Diabetes UK.

My running club friends all told me I could do it, so with a bit of a shove I just entered as a charity place. Well, my other half did it, I'd still be contemplating it in November left to my own devices.
Really looking forward to it.

17:51 in a road race and I was grey-faced by the end.
That’s a great time. I only managed to scrape under 19:00 a couple of times in my 40s and needed a lie down afterwards. Unfortunately I think my days of going under 20 are behind me now. The athletes running under 14 minutes are incredible.

That’s a great time. I only managed to scrape under 19:00 a couple of times in my 40s and needed a lie down afterwards. Unfortunately I think my days of going under 20 are behind me now. The athletes running under 14 minutes are incredible.
I was 27/28 :D and training with Altrincham three times a week....long time ago...in fact it was in a different century!

Just booked myself a place on the Great North Run in September. I'll be running for Diabetes UK.

My running club friends all told me I could do it, so with a bit of a shove I just entered as a charity place. Well, my other half did it, I'd still be contemplating it in November left to my own devices.
Really looking forward to it.

It’s an amazing experience. Hoping I’ll be there, if I can get my dodgy hip working…

It should be fun, we'll probably make a week of it and stay in Durham which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite places in the UK.

It is, surprisingly undulating as much of it is on motorways, so lots of bridges over motorways. The last mile is amazing.

Reactions: MJS
So...who's gonna hit a Parkrun tomorrow?! :):):):)

Will be going to my local....expecting it to be super busy. Soooo looking forward to it.

Not that I've run at all in the last couple of weeks.

Boston (Massachusetts) Parkrun is postponed until some time in late August due to local permitting. Pretty ridiculous when restaurants and bars are open at full capacity with no masks.

So...who's gonna hit a Parkrun tomorrow?! :):):):)

Will be going to my local....expecting it to be super busy. Soooo looking forward to it.

Not that I've run at all in the last couple of weeks.

Sadly male junior summit is involved in a very important cricket match, my Parkrun will have to wait for next week! A win today gets him and his team to the finals day of the Lancashire Cup. They’ve already won their area cup, and this is a play-off against another area cup winner. Tense times!!

To be fair, the blow is lessened as my favoured Parkrun isn’t open until next week, and I’m struggling with hip/piriformis thing that seems to have robbed me of what little speed I had! Hopefully on the mend, but concentrating on plodding till the autumn halfs are done.

advertisement

Back