advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn - Rattle Inside

jagdesign

pfm Member
I’ve just taken delivery of a secondhand Mytek Brooklyn +

All looks good from the outside, although I was a little surprised at how much play there is in the volume knob/encoder, is this normal?

However, on turning the unit over, I can hear an odd rattle inside which sounds like it’s coming from the PSU area. I’ve taken the top off and can’t see anything moving, and it’s not the toslink flap or any of the other connectors as I first suspected. Video here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t57vaB0EKyqm9DOoepak6d5sdY1i62b1/view?usp=drivesdk

Any ideas or other owners out there able to confirm if this is normal or not?

Thanks

Didn't they let Darko assemble one ... ?

ha, I think that was a Brooklyn Bridge, but perhaps this is another reviewer ‘special’ build.

It looked like there was a relay in the PSU section, although hard to see with the metal shield around it - are they prone to rattling?

Reactions: RoA
I have a Brooklyn in a second system. There is no significant play in the volume control and it does not rattle (I just picked it up and shook it!).

Is the volume knob attached to the spindle with a grub screw? Might be that just needs tightening.
I had that happen with my Benchmark DAC.

I have a Brooklyn in a second system. There is no significant play in the volume control and it does not rattle (I just picked it up and shook it!).

Hmmm, that's interesting, thanks for checking. Here's a video of the play in the encoder - I've checked the grub screw for the knob, and it's tight, so seems to be play in the encoder shaft itself https://drive.google.com/file/d/13b-GMhGByei0dDwraTxdWed_LWF8vTkl/view?usp=sharing

I've opened the unit up again, and I'm now fairly sure that the rattle is coming from the headphone socket area. If I listen up close, it almost sounds like a ball bearing moving around in there??

My volume control/encoder rocks about a little but nothing like as much as yours. I wonder whether something has fallen out of the control and is rolling around inside the case. I don't know whether this would be possible as I have no idea of how the mechanics of the control work!

Maybe yours has had too much knob play (sorry, couldn't resist it!) in the past, or a blow to the knob (or that!). It might be worth removing the knob and seeing if there is any evidence of damage. If the control is working properly and there are no obvious signs of damage, it's probably OK. As for the rattle, I suspect a little more disassembly might be required to track this down. It could simply be a loose fixing or something that has fallen into the case and is rattling around the inside.

FWIW I just checked my Brooklyn and there’s nothing like you describe - all feels taut as it ought :)

Very much appreciate the feedback guys - even if this one works fine (as the seller described) clearly something isn't right so it'll be going back, I think.

Ok, so now I'm really confused!

After not receiving any response from Mytek's support ticket system I decided to email HEM direct, and received a reply early this morning, which unfortunately I've only just seen as it went to my junk folder :(

According to HEM, both observations are normal!

The rattle is ferrite rings inside the PSU which are free to move around, and the play in the encoder is totally normal?!

I posted on a Mytek facebook group where other users also reported that they did not have the same issues with their units. So either this is right on the edge of tolerance/quality control and a bit unlucky, or.. I dunno?!

Annoyingly, it's all boxed up and awaiting collection tomorrow morning! Would prefer to hang on to it if it's all fine!!

advertisement

Back