advertisement

Stewart Tyler, R.I.P.

I have fond memories of Stewart from 1981 delivering and installing a pair of the very rare Celef domestic monitors to my home along with hifi Dave. I came to know him quite well thereafter and remember hair raising rides in his very modified cosworth ford sierra.
RIP and sympathies to the family.

Last edited:
206512987_1734390086761506_1688242902754846261_n.jpg

RIP , a giant, great consistent loudspeakers.

CJ14, By the smile and the look of his hair this must have been a loud and happy session!

My friend who owns and restores Qual ESL63 and the original Quad ESL introduced me to the Proac Response 1SC. His opinion is that the sound of the Response 1SC is very close to the ESL.

Since my son was born 9 years ago, I have boxed up the 1SC, but I don't think I will ever get rid of the 1SC. The 1SC are highly praised by the audiophiles in Hong Kong and China.

We have lost a legendary speaker designer.

I met Stewart a few times, latterly when he came to my office and we did a sort of speaker swap. He bought my restored Quad's and I took a pair of pair of Response 1's. A much underated speaker. Also met him at his workshop and saw all sorts of stuff, some that made it to production, some that didn't.
All in all, a lovely bloke. My Quad's were to go into some sort of "museum" he was planning. I hope he realised this.
Truly talented and warm person. RIP

I met Stewart a few times, latterly when he came to my office and we did a sort of speaker swap. He bought my restored Quad's and I took a pair of pair of Response 1's. A much underrated speaker. Also met him at his workshop and saw all sorts of stuff, some that made it to production, some that didn't.
All in all, a lovely bloke. My Quad's were to go into some sort of "museum" he was planning. I hope he realised this.
Truly talented and warm person. RIP

He was warm and kind a good friend I will miss him.

He ‘phoned me in the ‘70s, as I had my Celef Monitors up for sale and asked me why I
was selling them.
I told him I was saving up for a pair of BC1s.
The Celefs were fine, but I did want the Spendors...

RIP Mr Tyler- would love to asked him how he gets such big sound from small boxes. ( Not that l would have understood.)

RIP Stewart. I have only learnt about him recently as I am in the process of buying a pair of ProAcs. They really are special speakers that stand out from the crowd.

Sad news indeed. I never knew him but admired his skill in creating excellent speakers over 40+years. I’m listening to music through a set of them now. One of the greats, gone. Do we know who will be carrying on his mantle for ProAc ?

Great to see so many nice comments about him without the caveat " He was an arrogant miserable bugger but knew how to design good kit" as is so often the case LOL.

This is very sad news. I’ve been a fan of Proac loudspeakers for a very long time.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends.

advertisement

Back