advertisement

Hancock...You've been a Naughty Boy!

He has shown himself to be devious and untruthful (among other things) so will no doubt prosper very nicely in some high-flying business position or other without a parachute thank you very much.

Of course he's devious and untruthful......He's a politician.

If we accept that the Lib Dem’s for all their talk of being pro PR are psychologically incapable of delivering it, and Labour is, well, Labour, where does that leave us? Is there a PR organisation or group to join? The Greens? While they will likely get my vote because they are the only group to represent my views, as an organisation they’re a bit flawed.

The Electoral Reform Society would like to see the Single Transferable Vote, a fairer, more proportional voting system that makes seats match votes – and means no one’s voice is ignored.

A similar property council tax reform group, Fairer Share wants a single flat rate tax charged annually at 0.48% of a property’s value. This sort of strategy would go a long way towards levelling up across the Country. Such a scheme phased in over a number of years or decades would hopefully get a grip of property prices rising and rising, especially in the South East. Taxing high property values more might curtail the demand drive and make other areas more appealing for jobs and investment. This would be proper levelling up.

The Electoral Reform Society would like to see the Single Transferable Vote, a fairer, more proportional voting system that makes seats match votes – and means no one’s voice is ignored.

A similar property council tax reform group, Fairer Share wants a single flat rate tax charged annually at 0.48% of a property’s value. This sort of strategy would go a long way towards levelling up across the Country. Such a scheme phased in over a number of years or decades would hopefully get a grip of property prices rising and rising, especially in the South East. Taxing high property values more might curtail the demand drive and make other areas more appealing for jobs and investment. This would be proper levelling up.
Yes, many thanks for that.

I do though have reservations about focussing on and promoting any single version of PR. The referendum we had on PR failed mostly because the Lib Dem’s were so chuffing useless (sorry Tony) but also, and significantly I feel, because it was specific about AV and opponent were able to exploit inherent complexities and the far simpler option of just staying as we are.

I’m open to persuasion but I feel the discussion of which flavour of PR is best should come after a discussion on the merits of PR itself.

Yes, many thanks for that.

I do though have reservations about focussing on and promoting any single version of PR. The referendum we had on PR failed mostly because the Lib Dem’s were so chuffing useless (sorry Tony) but also, and significantly I feel, because it was specific about AV and opponent were able to exploit inherent complexities and the far simpler option of just staying as we are.

I’m open to persuasion but I feel the discussion of which flavour of PR is best should come after a discussion on the merits of PR itself.
I’d agree. We need to understand why we want PR. Ironically, we could use the Vote Leave playbook here - argue for brave new world vs rubbish status quo.

Hope the pond is more than 2m wide

why?

from the gov.uk website:

Meeting family and friends outdoors
You should continue to minimise the number of people you meet within a short period of time to limit the risk of spreading coronavirus (COVID-19). Most restrictions on meeting people outdoors have been lifted, but gatherings must not exceed 30 people unless covered by a legal exemption, such as:

• for the purposes of work or volunteering
  • to provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people
If you are meeting friends and family, you can make a personal choice on whether to keep your distance from them, but you should still be cautious.

pond fits 6 easily......

…These are the days of miracle and wonder
This is the long distance call
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all, oh yeah…

The problem with this is older people who bought ordinary family houses in once ordinary but now gentrified areas of London at ordinary prices a few decades ago that are now worth silly money. If these people can't afford 5-10k a year for council tax they will effectively be socially cleansed.

The problem with this is older people who bought ordinary family houses in once ordinary but now gentrified areas of London at ordinary prices a few decades ago that are now worth silly money. If these people can't afford 5-10k a year for council tax they will effectively be socially cleansed.

There will always be winners and loser in such a system. The proposal is about making things fairer and levelling up somewhat. London and the South East is silly money nowadays for property. So much so, that housing is now being sold on a shared ownership basis. There seems to be an endless desire to drive housing prices up, yet some of the very same people who enjoy those gains cry unaffordability when their children grow-up and cannot afford to get on the ladder. Commercial and Residential Property Tax needs fundamental reforms and levelling up. I'm interested in others views on this and the Fairer Share proposal. Perhaps this should be a new thread?

newFile-11.jpg

advertisement

Back